The Raid 2: Berandal (first review)

EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
Forum Member
✭✭
This looks like being THE action/martial arts film of the year. I loved the first one but reading the review in the link below it's clear the director, Gareth Evans, has ramped up the action and violence to utterly insane, and apparently, horror movie levels. After recently watching Tony Jaa's return to cinema with Tom Yum Goong 2 (The Protector 2) and being crushingly disappointed with the terrible fight scenes and the really bad CGI, The Raid 2 looks simply breathtaking by comparison. Despite all Hollywood has to offer this year, for me, this is number 1 on my must watch list.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-the-raid-2-sundance-2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuXrN8L9ro

Comments

• JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reaction to this has been EXTRAORDINARY. People are hailing this as the best action movie ever.

As mentioned it is incredibly violent and gory and there are concerns it will be cut when it gets here.
    The running time is apparently 150 minutes!?

I really cannot wait for this. Shame there's no UK release date but the US date is late March so hopefully we're not too far away otherwise it's another visit to YesAsia for the uncut version.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    And another:

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/the-raid-2/5065633.article?blocktitle=The-Latest&contentID=598

The first was okay - a bit hollow and lacking here and there. Thankfully this looks to be something of an improvement.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    I really cannot wait for this. Shame there's no UK release date but the US date is late March.

Probably mid-May.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reaction to this has been EXTRAORDINARY. People are hailing this as the best action movie ever.

As mentioned it is incredibly violent and gory and there are concerns it will be cut when it gets here.

I really cannot wait for this. Shame there's no UK release date but the US date is late March so hopefully we're not too far away otherwise it's another visit to YesAsia for the uncut version.

Unless it's got rape scenes/sexual violence I doubt the bbfc will cut it. They aren't going to cut machine gun blasts to the face etc. (heck, Rambo got in uncut) these days.

Longer trailer here- http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/raid-2-berandal-exclusive-trailer-premiere-034238407.html
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first one, bought it for a fiver on DVD after a mate said how much he loved it and I can't wait for this.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    April 11 - UK release, mark the date!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    This looks like being THE action/martial arts film of the year. I loved the first one but reading the review in the link below it's clear the director, Gareth Evans, has ramped up the action and violence to utterly insane, and apparently, horror movie levels. After recently watching Tony Jaa's return to cinema with Tom Yum Goong 2 (The Protector 2) and being crushingly disappointed with the terrible fight scenes and the really bad CGI, The Raid 2 looks simply breathtaking by comparison. Despite all Hollywood has to offer this year, for me, this is number 1 on my must watch list.l

I just hope he hasn't turned the combat scenes into some stupid gore-fest fantasy. What I liked about the first one was that it wasn't the usual Hong Kong sanitised back-and-forth-slapping-each-other's-arms-and-legs-with-the-occasional-spinning-kick-flying-over-opponent's-head shit. It was great to see Pencak Silat and bladed weapons for a change.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New trailer, 1 minute and 21 seconds of bone shattering violence. My excitement has gone through the stratosphere for this now.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/savegely-violent-new-trailer-for-gareth-evans-the-raid-2
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Passed '18' uncut by the BBFC.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The bbfc have put a grand total of 5 sentences about The Raid Two on their website, so it seems like they really weren't bothered.
    bbfc wrote:
    THE RAID 2 is a martial arts sequel in which an undercover cop infiltrates a criminal gang. There are a number of protracted fight scenes, featuring the use of knives, guns and other weapons. One character uses claw hammers against her enemies. There are frequent gory images, during and in the aftermath of these fights. There is also strong language ('f**k') and a sex scene.

The Empire review compares it to Only God Forgives. Oh good grief.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The Empire review compares it to Only God Forgives. Oh good grief.

That's not necessarily a bad thing - it just means you'd have to get even more drunk than you did to watch Only God Forgives for it to make sense ;)

Definitely looking forward to this though. Saw the first one at the cinema mainly because I wanted to go that particular day and nothing else was on. How lucky i was :)
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last night and although it has it's moments, I wasn't overly impressed and it felt like a lot longer than 150 minutes....
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the martial arts stuff gets a bit boring for me , but I'm looking forward to the car chases .