The Widower...Thanks for the Spoiler

Comments

• Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    John Hannah's character said something about how it was amazing that Malcolm could just walk into a job in the NHS. Then again he also said while Malcolm had no convictions for anything, he had form for lying on his cv and there had been accusations against him for inventing references and had been a known firebug as a youngster.
    You can be accused of all sorts and if you're found innocent or no case was ever brought, then there are no convictions against you to be found in checks that employers can do.
    Suppose that stuff Hannah's character came up with was as a reult of investigations by the first police force when the Claire, the first wife died. I doubt it would be available to the NHS, seeing as without any actual convictions, what is it apart from gossip?

That's not entirely the case. There is varying levels of Disclosure Scotland checks: the basic one wouldn't show spent convictions etc but the highest level one will disclose things the police might have on file about you even if they didn't result in arrest or conviction.

I'd assume the NHS would require more than the basic disclosure though things have probably changed since this case. I doubt it would be so easy for someone like Webster to walk into an NHS job nowadays.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I am about 5 chapters into the book so am up to date where the show is.

Tbh I feel the police are a large part as to why MW was not caught sooner. There were quite a few experts professionals who saw what had happened and were ignored :o

I do not understand how none of the drugs MW gave showed up in all the blood tests given? Also, Claire's friend found 3 different types of epilepsy medication in their home when MW was in hospital, which neither suffered from, and nothing was done about that.

This is an amazing story of how MW got away with it for so long and was able to work in different hospitals.

The only thing that was not said in this programme was that he may have got away with killing 3 under 6's in Abu Dhabi. But as they do not have post-mortem's they could not confirm that but each death happened when he was on duty. A truly evil man.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry that this is finishing, the book sounds good Bella
  • #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if he wasn't a murderer, Malcolm is one creepy, cringey little s**t.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving this :)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    All of the lead actors from The League of Gentlemen, Reece included, make marvellous dark characters.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    What were those pills he was burning a few minutes ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed some. Did he sabotage the IVF?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    What were those pills he was burning a few minutes ago?

His previous ones he used to poison the ladies or a new batch he decided not to use on his new lady.

I want to smack him in the face
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Sorry that this is finishing, the book sounds good Bella

I will be sad not to see RS so will have to search his other work for my fix.

It is well worth a read and there are photo's of his wives and him. I got it from the library so will see what difference the ending is or what has been left out.

I will watch this on +1 as on More 4 at the moment. So many good shows clashing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I will be sad not to see RS so will have to search his other work for my fix.

It is well worth a read and there are photo's of his wives and him. I got it from the library so will see what difference the ending is or what has been left out.

I will watch this on +1 as on More 4 at the moment. So many good shows clashing!

Not read a book for ages Bella and this has got me wanting to read it and of course you saying it's good.

I've been missing Silk for this but kind of glad I did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaargh!!! "Munchkin"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    #grotbags# wrote: »
    Aaaaargh!!! "Munchkin"!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh here he goes :o
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell, he's aged quickly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was good. Brilliant acting.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell, he's aged quickly!

Well, you would, wouldn't you? He had to know his cards were marked and it was only a matter of time before they caught up with him.

If that SImone did confront him in the house on her own, she's a far braver woman than me. I'd have been up the road and looooooooooooong gone if I'd had that visit from the police that she had.

I've never seen Mr Shearsmith in anything else, but by jove, he was awesome in this. I hated Malcolm, which was obviously the whole point.. And what a terrifying piece of work Malcolm Webster was. Yet so outwardly ordinary and even wimpy. Scary. I know they use dramatic license in these things, but blimey, if even half of that is even halfway right, what a frightening article he was.

If Reece Shearsmith doesn't get a BAFTA for that, I'll be highly surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you would, wouldn't you? He had to know his cards were marked and it was only a matter of time before they caught up with him.

If that SImone did confront him in the house on her own, she's a far braver woman than me. I'd have been up the road and looooooooooooong gone if I'd had that visit from the police that she had.

I've never seen Mr Shearsmith in anything else, but by jove, he was awesome in this. I hated Malcolm, which was obviously the whole point.. And what a terrifying piece of work Malcolm Webster was. Yet so outwardly ordinary and even wimpy. Scary. I know they use dramatic license in these things, but blimey, if even half of that is even halfway right, what a frightening article he was.

Definitely
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never seen Mr Shearsmith in anything else, but by jove, he was awesome in this. I hated Malcolm. And what a terrifying piece of work Malcolm Webster was. Yet so outwardly ordinary and even wimpy. Scary. I know they use dramatic license in these things, but blimey, if even half of that is even halfway right, what a frightening article he was.

She didn't even have a wire on or anything to protect her just 2 police men a hundred yards or so from the house. I wouldn't have done it.

This has been a good drama, more so because you know it was real.

A bit odd I know but I do wonder if Malcom Webster knew this was being made and if he was allowed to watch it.
    Forum Member
    The little tribute to his first wife at the end was a nice touch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The little tribute to his first wife at the end was a nice touch.

It was indeed and to echo other peoples comments the acting from Shearsmith was excellent, I hope to see him in other things.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this.Reece Shearsmith was superb.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    If he had any sense he would have done a Darwin and sailed away in the boat abroad somewhere. Bit disappointed in the finale. Pity there wasn't an explosive ending.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is very versatile. I saw him singing and dancing and doing slapstick in The Producers at the Cambridge Theatre in London several years ago. He was brilliant!
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Well I found it quite boring and won't be watching the next 2 -

Boring !?

Seriously !???
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    It was indeed and to echo other peoples comments the acting from Shearsmith was excellent, I hope to see him in other things.

He's currently filming a new 4 part ITV drama with Alex Kingston called 'Chasing Shadows'