Options

EE Linda the mum ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Linda puts conditions on her children ie I'll love you IF. If you're straight after all Johnny. I think Lee has left the army earlier than expected so I wonder what she'll think of him now?
  • Options
    lolasofielolasofie Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    I think Linda puts conditions on her children ie I'll love you IF. If you're straight after all Johnny. I think Lee has left the army earlier than expected so I wonder what she'll think of him now?

I agree with this ,

I think with the boys she had a clear idea of how their lives would go ...Johnny clearly always wanted to please her and did so by going to uni .

Lee is in the army so again she probably doted on him on the condition he would be sucessful in life and make her proud .

Poor Nancy seems to be the biggest rebel so likely Linda's lack of interest in her began when she was very young .
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a hard time liking Linda as she currently is, but there are flashes of warmth I see from her that stop me from hating her completely. I think she's a realistic representation of that particular breed of 'working middle class woman' who probably reads the Daily Mail (and takes it seriously no less) and doesn't really try to learn much about the world outside of her own little bubble.

Her relationship with Johnny is definitely the thing I find hardest to watch; if she goes back to giving him a hard time after offering him that glimmer of hope on Friday, I don't think it's unfair to say that her treatment of him is bordering on emotional abuse. With Nancy, I think it's a little bit different: Nancy is clearly a daddy's girl, and is probably just as cold to Linda as Linda can be with her. I think the two of them probably just find it difficult to relate to one another, which is fairly realistic. As for Lee, I'm not really sure how their relationship is going to pan out. It seemed fairly clear to me before Johnny came out that he was always her favoured child, but she may well transfer the attention she once gave to Johnny onto Lee, and I hope Lee calls her out on it if she does. I can't imagine he'll want to be fussed over and babied by her, so he might actually be the only one out of his siblings who is able to stand up to her.

I'd like to see Linda develop positively over the next year. She's an interesting character played by a good actress, but it's hard to really feel any prolonged sympathy for her because she really does just bring all her problems on herself.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a flawed human being not a poster child for the politically correct lobby.

She loves her son deeply but is finding it hard to accept his sexuality. This is realistic and does not make her a heartless bigot.

She will come around eventually.

I like her. :)