What Now For Nintendo?

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Where is the new Zelda and Metroid it makes no sense they need sales and a Zelda would be a system seller. Interested to see how many consoles Mario Kart and Smash Bros sell. Surely a decent upturn in sales.

Zelda will be next year sometime, probably the end..

and im pretty sure Retro are working on Metroid
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Where is the new Zelda and Metroid it makes no sense they need sales and a Zelda would be a system seller. Interested to see how many consoles Mario Kart and Smash Bros sell. Surely a decent upturn in sales.

Takes time to make truly great games.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I must say, I'm really impressed at how great Mario Kart 8 looks. One of the best looking games on the new consoles. It just shows what can be done when time & care is taken through production.

Even if Nintendo just announce a new 3D Zelda or Mario, I'd buy one again. Sadly, the games just aren't there at the moment & I'm not sure if they ever will be :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised this hasn't been posted

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/report-iwata-in-trouble-at-nintendo
    In addition, the Nikkei story says that investors are becoming irritated with Nintendo's inability to find new profits. In January, Iwata changed Nintendo's forecasts, saying the company expects a net loss of 25 billion yen instead of a net profit of 55 billion yen. At the same time, the president also slashed the Wii U sales forecast for the fiscal year from 9 million to 2.8 million. "In particular, sales in the [United States] and European markets in which we entered the year-end sales season with a hardware markdown were significantly lower than our original forecasts ...," he said.

The writings on the wall. There's no way Iwata can do a turn around in a few months when he has no aces up his sleeve. He'll be out by the end of this year.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nintendo are happy enough to keep renewing their character based games (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc) but where are all of their other franchises?

They are sitting on classic titles such as F-Zero, Wave Race, Pilotwings and Star Fox, all of which could help appeal to a more mature market, and seemingly doing nothing with them.

Hell, an up-port of F-Zero GX, with new textures running at 720p60 would be a day one purchase for me. (Gutted that I can't find my GC copy :( )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand it takes time but they have had a whole year headstart over the other 2 consoles. Maybe I'm just to impatient.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand it takes time but they have had a whole year headstart over the other 2 consoles. Maybe I'm just to impatient.:D

Pilotwings U would certainly make my day..mind you they had 5 years to release the 64 version on Wii VC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo got so many great franchises it's frustrating waiting for them to announce anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo got so many great franchises it's frustrating waiting for them to announce anything.

yes, they are frustrating..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe it's time for a change at the top, Iwata just not the right man to take the company forward in my opinion.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be being harsh here, but I do wish Nintendo would stop with the 'Neo-nostalgia'.
    Every Nintendo game now it seems has a nod back to the late 80s and early 90s, and so far there has been many modern throwback 2D platformers. New SMB U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Luigi U.

And don't forget the recent NES Remix games.

It's cool in a way, but I think it has got so far that it's making Nintendo look like a company living in the past, who constantly have to hark back to the golden age, when times were easier for them.

Whilst I appreciated the old references for a long time I wish Nintendo would try to impress me in 2014 ways, not by constantly trying to take me back to the hazy days of of my childhood. It's not 1992 anymore
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like an open world metroid interesting concept and could work.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    I might be being harsh here, but I do wish Nintendo would stop with the 'Neo-nostalgia'.
    Every Nintendo game now it seems has a nod back to the late 80s and early 90s, and so far there has been many modern throwback 2D platformers. New SMB U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Luigi U.

And don't forget the recent NES Remix games.

It's cool in a way, but I think it has got so far that it's making Nintendo look like a company living in the past, who constantly have to hark back to the golden age, when times were easier for them.

Whilst I appreciated the old references for a long time I wish Nintendo would try to impress me in 2014 ways, not by constantly trying to take me back to the hazy days of of my childhood. It's not 1992 anymore

This is probably due to the fact that the seemingly popular indie games on the PSN store and such are rip-offs of these exact type of games.

I agree though, I don't want these either hence the reason I haven't purchased any of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see some gamers have got so sick of waiting for a fully fledged 3D Pokemon, that they've started to make their own

Very early footage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2Dsdn-uq0

I applaud their efforts but I think its futile, it's only a matter of time before Nintendo send legal papers to them to get them to stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baffles me why Nintendo haven't released a 3D console Pokemon RPG on Wii U. Seems brainless to me.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Nintendo will always be cherished because of the classic and iconic games it has brought to gamers in its history.

I don't have a Wii U but I have used the Wii a lot, mainly for Just Dance / Fitness games. The Wii is a part of the furniture. My Aunty and Uncle aren't gamers by any means (unless you count their Spider Solitaire addiction!) but they own a Wii and it's out every Christmas. My Grandma wanted a Wii night for her 84th Birthday.. In fact they have a Wii in the local Age Concern Centre to help with exercise and coordination.

Apart from playing Another Code R (beautiful game!!) I've never played a sitting down game on my Wii but that's what my PS3 is for.

I think the DS wil always be a strong console, even just for Pokemon fanatics. I'm sure Nintendo would make a bomb if they released their franchised games across consoles and onto tablets but then it would make the DS near pointless.

I don't think they marketed the Wii U very well, and none of the release titles enticed me to buy it. But, I know families who rushed out and bought one for their kids so I'm not really in their demographic. I would find the games I love playing on my ps3 tricky to play on the Wii, just as I haven't found the PS Move appealing because I have my Wii for fitness games.

Also I suppose a lot of the market for the Wii U (young kids, families, Age UK centres etc) won't be posting on forums sharing their thoughts as much.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nintendo are happy enough to keep renewing their character based games (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc) but where are all of their other franchises?

They are sitting on classic titles such as F-Zero, Wave Race, Pilotwings and Star Fox, all of which could help appeal to a more mature market, and seemingly doing nothing with them.

Hell, an up-port of F-Zero GX, with new textures running at 720p60 would be a day one purchase for me. (Gutted that I can't find my GC copy :( )

Yes, yes, yes on everything said above.

Also how about some new franchises, take a few risks?

And I would cry at a F-Zero GX running at 720p60.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes on everything said above.

Also how about some new franchises, take a few risks?

And I would cry at a F-Zero GX running at 720p60.

why 720p? Mario Kart runs at full 1080p 60fps. Sure that F-Zero would do the same if they decided to make it.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch Dogs now has an official release window on Wii U. Still weird they're missing Wii U out on all their promotional releases, but whatever! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask the younger members of the forums (lets say 21 and under), whether you have a deep embedded affection or nostalgia for Nintendo. Are they 'special' to you?

Are Mario or Link important figures in your childhood gaming? I have seen online that some people think the problem might be that young adults now associate their formative gaming years more with Sony or Micrsoft, and chararcters like Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Master Chief....more than Donkey Kong, Link and Mario. They still like these Nintendo games but they are not seen as A-list titles with huge sentimental importance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for nintendo I expected it to be cancelled to be honest. Now they need to announce some games at E3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Nintendo have the manpower at their headquarters (or whatever) alone to develop more games than they already are?

I don't know Nintendo's company or their studios. But are they working at maximum output already? We do already have a fair few titles from Nintendo themselves - it is the third parties that need to step up.

I know that it is Nintendo's job to woo said third parties - but since they are doing loads of PS3/360 games still a port should be relatively cheap no? Especially since it is not required that the game uses the touch screen.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Nintendo have the manpower at their headquarters (or whatever) alone to develop more games than they already are?

I don't know Nintendo's company or their studios. But are they working at maximum output already? We do already have a fair few titles from Nintendo themselves - it is the third parties that need to step up.

I know that it is Nintendo's job to woo said third parties - but since they are doing loads of PS3/360 games still a port should be relatively cheap no? Especially since it is not required that the game uses the touch screen.

If they didn't spend 5 years making each game they would have ample capacity. But instead studios like Rare make each game twice, the entire game as a prototype then scrap the entire thing and start it all again from scratch. Very inefficient and very costly way of making games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they didn't spend 5 years making each game they would have ample capacity. But instead studios like Rare make each game twice, the entire game as a prototype then scrap the entire thing and start it all again from scratch. Very inefficient and very costly way of making games.

So what exactly are you saying?

That Nintendo should stick at the way they do things? Or that Rare and Nintendo are both wrong?

I, personally, don't mind waiting 5 years for a game so long as I can see where all that time has gone. (which I usually can when I play a Nintendo title)