Would you buy your little boy a princess costume?

Comments

• jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    So encourage him to do it in private in the secrecy of his own room.

Where's the harm in that...........?

Oh yes make it a dirty secret like a lot of transvestites do???
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    He would accept it as normal to dress as a girl.
    Have you heard of make believe?

It's why grown ups watch films and stuff.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Oh yes make it a dirty secret like a lot of transvestites do???
    Now you are getting it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Why is it unhealthy?[/QUOTE

It would be embarrasing for him when he got older. He could end up a laughing stock to his mates if they ever found out. That good enough for you?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I would see it as encouraging him to dress like a girl. Unhealthy,

So you repress him, and years later he has to get his jollies from people who in all likelihood will exploit him? "Thanks Mum". :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Have you heard of make believe?

It's why grown ups watch films and stuff.

He can play make believe without my buying a him a fairy outfit,.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I have done, I have 2 boys, my youngest who is 8 wanted to be a fairy princess for Halloween last year and picked a costume he wanted so I got it. He wore it to a party (my daughter was wearing a Disney princess costume and my eldest son dressed as enderman.) He received some funny looks as did I, some kids laughed at him and he didn't Give a fig. On the other hand some people also thought it was great and he posed quite happily for photos and it was all just water off a ducks back. My other older son I think was a bit embarrassed by it but that soon passed aswell it just became the norm.

Now everyone around here knows it's just my son being my son. He has some kids make up sets and nail varnishes that he had put on his Christmas list, as does my daughter. I would never dream of telling him he can't play with this or he can't wear that because it's for girls lol, that's so ludicrous.

He loves just as much 'boy stuff' as he does 'girls stuff' toys, clothes, program's and books and tv/film characters, he plays football, netball and tennis and Is one of the most popular kids in school.

Why people need to make such a big deal of these kinds of things I'll never know, kids should just be free to be kids IMO.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have bought my daughter one, let alone my son.
    But then I'm a sworn enemy of the whole "princess" thing.

Indeed. Growing up to be a transvestite would be totally OK, but growing up to be a Royalist...
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these all single hippy mums that are letting there boys dress up as little princess's?
    As a man I would not let that happen.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these all single mums that are letting there boys dress up as little princess's?

Probably. And I wouldn't either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tamryn29 wrote: »
    Yes I have done, I have 2 boys, my youngest who is 8 wanted to be a fairy princess for Halloween last year and picked a costume he wanted so I got it. He wore it to a party (my daughter was wearing a Disney princess costume and my eldest son dressed as enderman.) He received some funny looks as did I, some kids laughed at him and he didn't Give a fig. On the other hand some people also thought it was great and he posed quite happily for photos and it was all just water off a ducks back. My other older son I think was a bit embarrassed by it but that soon passed aswell it just became the norm.

Now everyone around here knows it's just my son being my son. He has some kids make up sets and nail varnishes that he had put on his Christmas list, as does my daughter. I would never dream of telling him he can't play with this or he can't wear that because it's for girls lol, that's so ludicrous.

He loves just as much 'boy stuff' as he does 'girls stuff' toys, clothes, program's and books and tv/film characters, he plays football, netball and tennis and Is one of the most popular kids in school.

Why people need to make such a big deal of these kinds of things I'll never know, kids should just be free to be kids IMO.

Wanting to dress as a princess and asking for girls make up sets when he is 8 years is not the norm for a boy that age. Maybe he showing signs he is gay.
    Forum Member
    Are these all single hippy mums that are letting there boys dress up as little princess's?

Maybe that's why they're single mums?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanting to dress as a princess and asking for girls make up sets when he is 8 years is not the norm for a boy that age. Maybe he showing signs he is gay.

This is why kids turn out gay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if he is ? So what?
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolute tosh!

He may or may not be gay but wearing dresses or make up has nowt to do with it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they're single mums?

Lol :D Very likely.
    Forum Member

Sorry, but this needs a comfy chair and an industrial bag of popcorn ...
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what if he is?

He's also asked for many 'boys' costumes which he gets just as much enjoyment out of. I fail to see an issue here.

Edit to add that his father 'as a man' has no problem with it either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    No. No. No. No. No.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    And if he is ? So what?

Just letting the poster know it is not make believe that her son is playing,
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    If I'm honest I would struggle with it, but that's my problem, not my son's. Because I'm projecting my adult perceptions (fears?) onto his innocent play.

I have a 7yr old boy and 9 yr old girl, my son has had makeup on, painted his nails and dressed up in his sisters stuff when younger, so I'm not worried about that, but part of me baulks at buying it just for him and I have to wonder why. Perhaps because I'd feel others would judge him as odd and I'd want to protect him from that.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't, but thanks for your input.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    It isn't, but thanks for your input.

I will buy you a gimp outfit which you must wear in public, so we can all point and laugh at you.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just letting the poster know it is not make believe that her son is playing,

There are straight men who wear black nail varnish, I think they may be goths. And I know some men wear concealers, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure about that but this airy fairy liberal approach with kids is certainly producing a lot of messed up ones.