Would you buy your little boy a princess costume?

Comments

• Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will buy you a gimp outfit which you must wear in public, so we can all point and laugh at you.

What relevance does this post have to the subject?
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tamryn29 wrote: »
    So what if he is?

He's also asked for many 'boys' costumes which he gets just as much enjoyment out of. I fail to see an issue here.

If you're happy with it then so be it.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamryn29 wrote: »
    What relevance does this post have to the subject?

To know how it feels. To dress up and look ridiculous. A child is to innocent to realise.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    There are straight men who wear black nail varnish, I think they may be goths. And I know some men wear concealers, and there's noting wrong with that.

To think, all they've got to look forward to is pulling someone who looks like a Suicide Girl ...
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that but this airy fairy liberal approach with kids is certainly producing a lot of messed up ones.

I think it's society's constraints that do that tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about that but this airy fairy liberal approach with kids is certainly producing a lot of messed up ones.

I agree
  • Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Congratulations on your pregnancy MrsMoose :D
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's society's constraints that do that tbh.

And yet since we've become more liberal, suicide rates have gone up.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year a four year old boy showed up to my daughter's birthday party in a rainbow ballet outfit. When my sister-in-law said to him she liked his shirt, he was sure to let her know it was actually dress.

Love that confidence. If he doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else?

And for Mickey and Incognito, his parents are married.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    To think, all they've got to look forward to is pulling someone who looks like a Suicide Girl ...

Well it's what they like I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Last year a four year old boy showed up to my daughter's birthday party in a rainbow ballet outfit. When my sister-in-law said to him she liked his shirt, he was sure to let her know it was actually dress.

Love that confidence. If he doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else?

Was it a fancy dress party...or just his normal party attire??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it a fancy dress party...or just his normal party attire??

They were all wearing costumes, yes. He also rides a pink bike to school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never said their weren't any screwed up married people. Rosemary and Fred West were Married.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    He can play make believe without my buying a him a fairy outfit,.
    Lol.

As I see it the problem is that you, not him, are sexulaising it, you are viewing it as an adult.

He isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said their weren't any screwed up married people. Rosemary and Fred West were Married.

Why are they screwed up again?
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because allowing your children to express themselves through their choice of costume rather than forcing them to conform to gender stereotypes is so screwed up :confused:
  • Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    A facebook friend of mine has just posted a photo of her little boy (he's around 2 or 3) in a Snow White princess costume, at first I was taken aback but it has a lot of "likes" and I know she's a very "earthy" mother, her approach to parenting is very natural and loving, and one of her boys favorite toys is his dolly.

It got me thinking as I'm currently pregnant with a boy, and although I wouldn't mind so much if he wanted a doll, I'd probably cross the line at buying him a princess costume, which makes me feel bad for stereotyping.

As a child, I was very much a tom boy, I used to wear boys clothes and I remember wanting an army toy for Christmas and my mum telling me it was "a boys toy" and I couldn't have it.

I've been doing a little research as I was curious how common this is and I found a Youtube video, it was a hidden camera experiment set in a costume shop, and they had a mother and her son arguing in the shop because he wanted the Belle (from Beauty and the beast) costume, and his "mum" was trying to get him to choose clothes from the boys department.
    Other shoppers were getting involved, trying to persuade him to try on Spiderman and Army costumes, and telling the mum that there's no way they would buy their boys girls costumes.
    They also did a role reversal, where a girl wanted to be Spiderman and the "mum" was trying to get her to try princess costumes.
    Again, other shoppers got involved, telling the girl she would look so much prettier in a dress and that the costumes she wanted were for boys.

I just wondering what everyone elses take on this is. Have you been in that situation, what did you do? Or what would you do?

If it made him happy that's all I care about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are they screwed up again?

:confused: I'm sure you can look that up.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Because allowing your children to express themselves through their choice of costume rather than forcing them to conform to gender stereotypes is so screwed up :confused:

Hi princessTT are you a girl or a boy? cant tell these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely NOT!
    Forum Member
    Just letting the poster know it is not make believe that her son is playing,
    If he dressed up as spiderman would he become a spider\?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: I'm sure you can look that up.

No, tell me. Tell me why these two complete strangers are screwed up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »

Young children are not old enough to make those kind of decisions for themselves.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To know how it feels. To dress up and look ridiculous. A child is to innocent to realise.

No one as far as I've seen in this thread is forcing anyone to wear anything they don't want to.
    Forum Member
    Ohhh noooooo.

Now he 's dressing up as batman, we need to ditch the bunk beds and buy him an attic.