Celebrity Squares Returns

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
Forum Member
Looks like ITV are looking to re-boot the classic gameshow Celebrity Squares - just the one date listed at present so I'm guessing it's a pilot - remember months back they did a Play Your Cards Right pilot with Vernon Kay - never to be heard of again !

http://www.applausestore.com/book-celebrity-squares

No news of who's hosting yet - any ideas?

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ozcabs wrote: »
    Looks like ITV are looking to re-boot the classic gameshow Celebrity Squares - just the one date listed at present so I'm guessing it's a pilot - remember months back they did a Play Your Cards Right pilot with Vernon Kay - never to be heard of again !

Probably Keith Lemon, Philip Scofield or Holly Willobooby. :rolleyes:
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am going to say this ... what is up with ITV and "revivals" fair enough "nostalgia" but come on .... get some originality here ... whats next bring back the "$64,000 Question" with someone from TOWIE next :rolleyes:
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the original, with Willie Rushton always hogging the centre square:D
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most likely Vernon's Grey and we all know who the "celebs" will be.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    They were joking on Only Connect about how they should bring CC back- so my money's on Victoria Coren as host.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    This will basically be it -

Pat Coombes = Kerry Katona

Willy Rushton = Peter Andre

Frank Carson = Joe Swash ..............

ITV using all the same deadbeats that already turn up all over ITV!

Urgh, no thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    LOL, yes we all know who the "celebs" are going to be - it'll not match Bob Monkhouse that's for sure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warwick Davis will be hosting it on ITV.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    I'm going to predict that, just like pretty much any show that's 'rebooted' or 'modernised' or 'brought back' it'll be a flop/be generally crap. Has there ever actually been a half decent (let alone good) reboot/modern version of a show?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with revamps is that most of the decent celebrities who made a quiz memorable are dead now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    I'm going to predict that, just like pretty much any show that's 'rebooted' or 'modernised' or 'brought back' it'll be a flop/be generally crap. Has there ever actually been a half decent (let alone good) reboot/modern version of a show?

I'll hear someone will say on forum "catchphrase" has been a hit (being honest on that I have briefly caught it and don't like it - especially since it was a 30 min show now been dragged out for 45-60 mins and its STV that now "produce" it)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with revamps is that most of the decent celebrities who made a quiz memorable are dead now.

Come to think about it is their really any decent celebs out there at moment?? Probably be seeing the likes of TOWIE on these shows .... didn't take ITV long to stick Joey Essex on The Cube did it?? :o
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they make the celebs do a bit more than in the original show. It's a bit crap just having to say if you "agree" with their answer or not..you could also tell they had a prepared answer for some of the questions too which is awful.

The end game also had nothing to do with the celebs with the contestant having to name 9 things..maybe Blankety Blank would have been a better option? lol
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe you've answered your own question with Vernon Kay?:D

Or Paddy McGuiness.
    Ant and Dec
    Philip Schofield
    Keith Lemon

I don't think it's likely we'll be in for many surprises.

But if I had to pick a preference from ITV faces I'd go for Bradley Walsh. It sounds like the sort of thing which would be right up his street. I think you'd need the type of quick wit and banter he's capable of.
    I don't think that many of the usual ITV suspects would be able to do what's needed without scripted lines and routines.

I can see them picking either Keith Lemon or Paddy McGuiness though.

Having said that if the guest list of celebrities are of TOWIE calibre then they might even make do with Joe Swash. He'd be in his element.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will basically be it -

Pat Coombes = Kerry Katona

Willy Rushton = Peter Andre

Frank Carson = Joe Swash ..............

ITV using all the same deadbeats that already turn up all over ITV!

Urgh, no thanks.

Lorraine Chase = Stacy Solomon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of what celebrities they'd genuinely go for for the 9 squares today in 2014, and the possibilities are truly horrific if you think about who ITV will more than likely choose.
    Joe Swash, Mark Wright, Natalie Cassidy, Jeremy Kyle, Amy Childs, David Dickinson, Joey Essex......I'm sorry I can't even go on.
    Think of any the possible different permutations and it's all bad.

It'd be like one of those horrible hangover dreams you have just before you wake up in the morning after drinking the night before. It doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    It will be someone ITV think might be in line for Bruce's job on Strictly.

If they are signed up to do a possible series, they cannot do Strictly.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be ant And Dec, ***** are on everything!
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,762
    Forum Member
    It's somebody already mentioned above, Warwick Davis is hosting
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Warwick will be any good as the host ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think Warwick will be any good as the host ?

It will be a tall order for him.
  • dallardicedallardice Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    The end game also had nothing to do with the celebs with the contestant having to name 9 things..maybe Blankety Blank would have been a better option? lol

The Guess List starting tonight on BBC1 is essentially a Blankety Blank reboot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's somebody already mentioned above, Warwick Davis is hosting

Are you sure? I thought they were joking.
    It wasn't a joke?

That would be an amazing casting decision by ITV I must say. I don't mean by however good or bad he would be as the host, but it's just so surprising that ITV would go for such a leftfield choice outside of their usual safety net of the same old faces.

I have to have respect for them and give them credit where it's due for that, if not for anything else.