'Scripting' getting out of hand now?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
the whole fake ness of the show was so obvious tonight.
i mean usually its just people on the forum who notice the 'scripting' on BGT and the X Factor, which has become increasingly more prominent over the years.
but in tonights shows i just thought it was way over the top, where you would be forgiven for thinking every moment was completely scripted.
i think now even to the casual viewer its become abit too obvious.

i really dont know what would be so bad with just letting the show run organically.
i really believe the scripted nonsense will be the downfall of simons shows.

Comments

• fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    the whole fake ness of the show was so obvious tonight.
    i mean usually its just people on the forum who notice the 'scripting' on BGT and the X Factor, which has become increasingly more prominent over the years.
    but in tonights shows i just thought it was way over the top, where you would be forgiven for thinking every moment was completely scripted.
    i think now even to the casual viewer its become abit too obvious.

i really dont know what would be so bad with just letting the show run organically.
    i really believe the scripted nonsense will be the downfall of simons shows.

If you watch the first episode of the first series of The X Factor, none of it is scripted.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I even questioned if they have actors in the audience now.

The whole close up to someone in the audience and you can hear what they say seem staged too lol.

But these kind of shows are always a bit scripted and planned, I'm just waiting for the joke act to go through now, possibly via the golden button.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I even questioned if they have actors in the audience now.

The whole close up to someone in the audience and you can hear what they say seem staged too lol.

But these kind of shows are always a bit scripted and planned, I'm just waiting for the joke act to go through now, possibly via the golden button.

Could just be voice-over :D:p.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those two women in the audience were so fake. How would the cameras and mics know to focus on them and pick up what she was saying like that.
  • Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Well, I think we all know it's always been scripted (fake, if you like). But it has reached new lows now.

Fake actors (voice overs) supposedly from the audience.
    Acts that have been drafted in after winning other talent shows.
    The 'oh, we've only been together a month' routine.
    Professional singers and performers, hand picked.
    The 'surprise' on the judges faces when an act comes on that they have, apparently, never seen or heard of before.
    Oh, and the long drawn out sob story before an act.

Is it just me or was it a little less obvious in years gone by that the whole thing is fake?
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    ursula321 wrote: »
    Those two women in the audience were so fake. How would the cameras and mics know to focus on them and pick up what she was saying like that.

They have been mic'd up and instructed to say whatever they say.
    Happened on the past two x factors aswell. It looks so stupid why do the producers think its a good idea?
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    Well, I think we all know it's always been scripted (fake, if you like). But it has reached new lows now.

The 'surprise' on the judges faces when an act comes on that they have, apparently, never seen or heard of before.

Is it just me or was it a little less obvious in years gone by that the whole thing is fake?

Yes, that's the point its more obvious than ever!

Though two years ago my friend was at the London auditions, and she spotted herself in the audience when there was a close up of 'reactions' , but the act on screen was an audition she did not even attend! :D:D
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    It has been noted many times that the same reaction shot of the judges and/or audience has been shown more than once for different acts.

So it just becomes whatever the editor/producer wants it to be.

I could just have a dump on stage and they could cut in audience clapping and screaming and the judges rising for a standing ovation.

It really is completely false. Big Brother when it started was simply a programme about observing people interact - now it's so manipulated that they refuse to have a Live Feed or you will see how biasedly they have cut something together for the highlights show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are confusing editing as scripting. For example all the shots of the audience yawning when the ballroom dancers started. They only danced in the 'boring' way for a few seconds, the reaction shots were edited in from other points in the show. That's not scripting.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty10 wrote: »

Absolutely. In the last 5 years, it's become increasingly, plasticized. People forget the only thing Susan Boyle said about her life pre-show was that she was unemployed, unmarried, and lived alone with her cat. And she was quite jolly about it. The real misery of her life only became apparent when the tabs started interviewing her neighbors.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A foreign act with a topical back story. OAP who does well for her age. Singers and boy bands who do Operatic numbers when they were not expected to.
    The returning nutter, a single person who appears on the stage and the rest appear to bring the act to a big finale. etc

All we need now are some novelty camp acts (which David Walliams gets up and joins in with), a comedian with a disability , a nervous child singer who sings like a 20 year old and some urban dance troups and the program will be complete.

Oh forgetting the dangerous magician and the act everyone likes but will be Impractical to put on stage.
  • PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree its so fake, especially simon cowell and the old dancing granny
  • Stone_AngelStone_Angel Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Well, even if that last was 'scripted', I did laugh when Simon buzzed and 'the old dancing granny' just turned her head and gave him a Look before returning to business :D
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with the OP most of us all know how Cowell works with his manipulation, but there were always the odd few who believed it(some would say gullible i wont;-))BUT last night was the worse ever , infact it is worse than TOWIE for being scripted(and acting) the show has "jumped the shark"(as people say) IMO. As for Lucy i am sorry the sob story which went on for ever was just too much , her hand-wringing, and rubbing her arm and saying she thought she would be buzzed just did not seem right to me,the cynic in me thinks she was scouted and invited to go on so knew she was good...and as for that women in the audience saying "in your own time" to the drummer well i can just about uncurl my toes it was so fkin cringy and set up.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Where are you from?"
    "Originally from Nottingham but I moved to Glasgow"
    "Why?"
    *cue sob story*

Why on earth would Simon ask "why" to such a statement without knowing that it would lead to a sob story? Any viewer who cannot see through the fakeness and manipulation of this show deserves to be shot.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The mics wouldn't be able to pick up a word they were saying, not in a big auditorium. Presumably the two of them were wearing mics, meaning either they were actresses or were told what to say by the producers.
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The mics wouldn't be able to pick up a word they were saying, not in a big auditorium. Presumably the two of them were wearing mics, meaning either they were actresses or were told what to say by the producers.

Or it could be they pick two audience members and ask them if they want to be miked up and record them throughout the auditions and pick the sound bite they want.
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The conversations that the acts have with each other backstage before going on are I think definitely scripted.

The clip linked below is of a scripted scene between an accordian orchestra and Ant and Dec. Ant even admits to this to Stephen Mulhern. Or at least, it was supposed to be scripted, but had to be stopped because Dec kept having the giggles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpw3mBFuBzo (about 20 secs in)
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    "Where are you from?"
    "Originally from Nottingham but I moved to Glasgow"
    "Why?"
    *cue sob story*

Why on earth would Simon ask "why" to such a statement without knowing that it would lead to a sob story? Any viewer who cannot see through the fakeness and manipulation of this show deserves to be shot.

This started way back on the first series of Pop Idol and isn't a Simon Cowell invention as some people think.

Pete Waterman: "And your name is *looks at sheet of paper*, actually you can probably tell us, what's your name?"
    Gareth Gates: STUTTER STUTTER SOB STORY
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    i mean usually its just people on the forum who notice the 'scripting'

It's only the people on the forum who notice it. Mainly because most of the anti-cowell club look for it. and if you're that cynical, you'll see it even if it's there or not.

When you attend the shows, you're told that the auditorium is miked up and that the audience will be filmed. Accepting a (free) ticket to the show is consent to this happening. No conspiracy there :)

If we had the show that this forum requires, it'd be about half an hour long ..
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the act everyone likes but will be Impractical to put on stage.

To quote myself from several days ago, some motorbike riders waving their legs in the air while jumping over a huge ramp tonight.
    How the f*ck will they put that on if it were to win. Waste of time like the synchronised swimmers.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people are getting confused at the difference between 'scripted' and 'set-ups', 'edits' and casting.

Other than the Ant and Dec intro/location scenes, nothing is scripted. Some things are definitely set-up - because that's good practice on any show in order to guarantee you get the shots you want. E.g. mic up two people in the audience to make sure you get an audience shot, if there is an act with a compelling story make sure the judges are briefed before they come out on what question(s) to ask. It's just guaranteeing you don't miss capturing something that you know would be good to capture. But there's no script in writing or to follow.

There are also edits; cutaways to shocked faces or editing in short pauses to enhance the tension, but it's not a script thing, it's just good editing. By mixing things about you can make the show a lot funnier.

The casting of the show has definitely changed, they do scout from YouTube. However I think they've been fairly open about that. I personally think it makes it a better show, probably all of the best ones we've seen so far this series were found on YouTube. I understand others don't like the idea. However, it's far from 'scripted', it's just casting in a different way.

There must be 200-300 people work on the show. If there was a script, it would have leaked by now.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely by now, I'd have thought the BGT DS detectives would've accumulated some evidence of this? I'd like some pictures of scripts or knowledge from behind the scenes please.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    I think some people are getting confused at the difference between 'scripted' and 'set-ups', 'edits' and casting.

Other than the Ant and Dec intro/location scenes, nothing is scripted. Some things are definitely set-up - because that's good practice on any show in order to guarantee you get the shots you want. E.g. mic up two people in the audience to make sure you get an audience shot, if there is an act with a compelling story make sure the judges are briefed before they come out on what question(s) to ask. It's just guaranteeing you don't miss capturing something that you know would be good to capture. But there's no script in writing or to follow.

There are also edits; cutaways to shocked faces or editing in short pauses to enhance the tension, but it's not a script thing, it's just good editing. By mixing things about you can make the show a lot funnier.

The casting of the show has definitely changed, they do scout from YouTube. However I think they've been fairly open about that. I personally think it makes it a better show, probably all of the best ones we've seen so far this series were found on YouTube. I understand others don't like the idea. However, it's far from 'scripted', it's just casting in a different way.

There must be 200-300 people work on the show. If there was a script, it would have leaked by now.

Couldn't agree more. Logic sometimes is overlooked, I definitely think insider corruption (lol) exists, in the form of invited acts and producers suggesting certain acts do particular things, etc, but nothing more
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »

You appear to be thinking of scripting and editing as being separate things.
    I don't think that people are confused by the two.
    Quite the contrary. They see the editing as part of the scripting.

In that the editing would follow the story they wanted to tell.
    For example it appeared last night as though they knew wanted to promote one particular magician act by playing up how bad a succession of previous magicians were to make the point.
    Coupled with the judges obvious comments it would all fall under what people have come to understand 'scripted' as meaning.
    I put scripted in quotes because it wouldn't necessarily mean that the judges read an actual script word for word, they would just follow a general idea of how things will flow.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely by now, I'd have thought the BGT DS detectives would've accumulated some evidence of this? I'd like some pictures of scripts or knowledge from behind the scenes please.

I would tend to agree - considering many on this forum apparently have a "source" inside the show, you'd have thought that we'd have had some kind of leak of the "script".

But then I would imagine they'd likely see a running order and scream "LOOK! A SCRIPT! I TOLD YOU !!" :)