Options

World Health Organisation - e-cigs are bad, catergorise as tobacco and tax heavily

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d822d056-c1c3-11e3-83af-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ynwbkUSu

http://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/e-cigs-to-be-classed-as-tobacco.html
Electronic cigarette users are set to be banished to the pavement alongside their tobacco-smoking cousins – and face similar hefty prices – if the World Health Organisation pushes ahead with plans to regulate e-cigarettes in the same way as normal tobacco.
Dr Haik Nikogosian, who oversees the secretariat of the FCTC, said that e-cigarettes “could result in a new wave of the tobacco epidemic”, in a meeting that set the agenda for the November meeting in Moscow, according to minutes seen by the FT.

He added that “he felt more importance should be given to the threat posed by electronic cigarettes”, according to the minutes.

Are the WHO sponsored by same pharmaceuticals that are threatened by e-cigs?

Comments

• Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, might stop people deluding themselves that they've quit smoking
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Good, might stop people deluding themselves that they've quit smoking

Didn't you troll the last thread on health measures?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to know of the science this is based on as it appears questionable at best.

Also, FT, f**k off with the paywall :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    It seems fair until they know what the long term effects of some of these e-cigs are.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    How come they are telling us e-cigs are bad and they are banned from public places, yet there is an explosion of e-cig ads on tv. Shouldn't e-cig ads be banned, same as the conventional cigarettes?
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a new thread, I clicked on it thinking about saying something along the lines of 'at least people won't be fooling themselves saying they've quit smoking'. Then I saw somebody had already said that in the first reply. Than I realised it was me

It was like an out of body experience. It was a glitch in the matrix, my brain couldn't process it for a second

Weird
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There needs to be some regulation on these things of course. Maybe removing the USB connections and having an approved new E Cig standard charger socket and voltage. Plugging them into random (apple) USB chargers seems to be the main problem with them 'exploding' being the biggest stick to beat E cigs with, which is not just an E Cig problem. Nobody called for bans of Nintendo DS's or Laptops when they blew up.

As for Nicotine, there are loads of gums, lozenges that have been on sale for years yet nobody seemed to worry about health effects (although the sudden withdrawal of Nicorette 'minis' seem suspicious).

If most anti E Cig haters are honest, its not the nicotine, the chargers or health problems they are concerned about, it's the 'annoyance' factor. The media don't help because nearly every report has vapers (usually hipsters) using massive units blowing out a steam train full of vapour. And in a way, IF that was the only fault of E Cigs, its a valid one. I personally wouldn't want to be in a cinema, plane, train or pub if it got to the tipping point of vapour everywhere if they got too popular (along with conflicting smells of café crème, apple etc!) I use the things, and if they banned them, well, might as well start smoking again.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I thought this was a new thread, I clicked on it thinking about saying something along the lines of 'at least people won't be fooling themselves saying they've quit smoking'. Then I saw somebody had already said that in the first reply. Than I realised it was me

It was like an out of body experience. It was a glitch in the matrix, my brain couldn't process it for a second

Weird

Looks like that is a recurring problem for you. :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctorb wrote: »
    I use the things, and if they banned them, well, might as well start smoking again.

Yeah, me too. If I have to go outside the pub anyway, that kind of takes away my whole reason for vaping in the first place.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. If I have to go outside the pub anyway, that kind of takes away my whole reason for vaping in the first place.

Not for me; I prefer vaping; would not go back if cigs where free.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Not for me; I prefer vaping; would not go back if cigs where free.

I think I'm getting to that point. I still enjoy the occasional smoke (and haven't claimed to have given up for precisely this reason, before the OP tries to use me as an example of anything) but a few weeks ago a colleague brought me back a load of cigarettes from holiday, and I found myself giving half of them away so I could finish them quicker. Which would have been blasphemy a couple of years ago.

Hmm, yeah, that kind of contradicts what I just said. Come to think of it, maybe I WOULDN'T go back. Not sure. I'm 50/50. But right now vaping's totally fine, so I'm sticking with that.