Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she had a choice and was not forced so not rape.

Definitely not rape. He told Anna she was free to leave the hotel room at any point (and she was free to leave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    It's an open plan room. Sitting room in the front part, dining and kitchen in the back part. The bottom of the stairs are about midway and go up behind the kitchen part. The fact that the whole room is tiny is beside the point. And it must be wonderful getting cooking smells upstairs and while you're sitting watching TV. The room seems to be much smaller than that of Gail and Sally, even though it's a similar house.

Not sure about the position of the sink but if it is like Gail's house then it is facing the back window, which would make sense as the back part of the kitchen is the cooking area and the front of shot is where the table is. The higher part of the stairs look down onto the sitting area and the camera showed Owen climbing the stairs while looking over at Anna - immediately behind her. This is not possible as the sink is round a corner and there should have been a wall behind Anna or maybe even a long shot of the front window - but not the stairs.
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I read somewhere (spoilers maybe) that Phelan told Anna they wouldnt get a penny of the £80,000. So looks like owen might not find out but Izzy might as Anna will need some one to talk to. Only this time Izzy will keep her gob shut. Owen might do something and Phelan will disappear with the help of the cement machine. Owen will get his £80,000 back just like he did the money that Phelan owed him previously.

Ah, come on ... you even say "spoilers maybe" - can't you wrap it in spoiler tags please? That's another story line torpedoed for me.

:(:(:(
  • AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,871
    Forum Member
    Meldrewman wrote: »

Ah, come on ... you even say "spoilers maybe" - can't you wrap it in spoiler tags please? That's another story line torpedoed for me.

:(:(:(

Well said, Meldrewman. Fortunately, as soon as I saw the word "spoiler" in that post I stopped reading. Hope nobody repeats it! I am finding I have to approach all posts very tentatively now and if the first couple of words hint at a spoiler, I either close the page or scoot down a few posts. This is fine until someone just posts "Rita dies in June" (she isn't due to, by the way, do this is not a spoiler!) ;-)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Definitely not rape. He told Anna she was free to leave the hotel room at any point (and she was free to leave.

Possibly for the benefit of a hidden voice recorder?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Anna/Phelan "deed" scene (or lack of it) was very strange last night and ruined the flow of the episode.
    Sure, I know we're not going to get a graphic sex scene but they needed something.
    I think it would have been chillingly effective to have a shot of Anna's face in close-up, completely emotionless, as she stares at the contract on the bedside table while Phelan could be heard grunting in the background.
    That would have been completely fine for the watershed. As it stands it just looks silly that the last scenes we saw of them was of Anna sitting on the bed taking her coat off and then then the next scene they were both getting dressed again.
    It lacked the emotional punch that was required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Possibly for the benefit of a hidden voice recorder?

Possibly, who knows? He's a very shrewd operator and is highly manipulative (he sounds like a bit of a sociopath from his own description of himself).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I thought the Anna/Phelan "deed" scene (or lack of it) was very strange last night and ruined the flow of the episode.
    Sure, I know we're not going to get a graphic sex scene but they needed something.
    I think it would have been chillingly effective to have a shot of Anna's face in close-up, completely emotionless, as she stares at the contract on the bedside table while Phelan could be heard grunting in the background.
    That would have been completely fine for the watershed. As it stands it just looks silly that the last scenes we saw of them was of Anna sitting on the bed taking her coat off and then then the next scene they were both getting dressed again.

I suspect the producers may have been slightly fearful of including such a scene in what is meant to be a family show. It would have been daring alright, but they would probably be afraid of causing offence.....it would be very dark by Corrie standards.

Come to think of it, have they ever shown an actual sex scene on Corrie? It always seems to be foreplay and then the aftermath.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It made for uncomfortable viewing as it was, that would have been sickening. I don't like the S/L anyway, not one bit - and as if Owen would have rolled over and taken it (like Anna now has!) in the first place, have we all forgotten he's a supposed tough man?!
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    It made for uncomfortable viewing as it was, that would have been sickening. I don't like the S/L anyway, not one bit - and as if Owen would have rolled over and taken it (like Anna now has!) in the first place, have we all forgotten he's a supposed tough man?!

Exactly. These writers need to do their research.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member

I agree, any grunting would have been too much.
    No idea what they've done with Owen, it makes no sense.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's where the Pig in a Blanket comes in.;-)
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    amysmum wrote: »
    Not sure about the position of the sink but if it is like Gail's house then it is facing the back window, which would make sense as the back part of the kitchen is the cooking area and the front of shot is where the table is. The higher part of the stairs look down onto the sitting area and the camera showed Owen climbing the stairs while looking over at Anna - immediately behind her. This is not possible as the sink is round a corner and there should have been a wall behind Anna or maybe even a long shot of the front window - but not the stairs.
    I think the cooker is on the wall on which the stairs are and the sink is opposite the cooker in a unit sticking out from the back wall. On the other side of that unit is the dining table so, sitting at the dining table they can see over the sink to the cooker. Think they're all laid out differently.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member

Well as Phelan is using slow mental torture on Owen, we may well be 'treated' to the grunting scenes when Phelan plays back the secret tapes to Owen. The fact that we had always thought of Owen as a strong, tough character, I think is supposed to make his unravelling all the more dramatic. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Owen sole reason for acting as he is is supposedly to keep Gary out of prison, but I doubt anyone in real life would tolerate the level of humiliation Phelan is dishing out.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Owen sole reason for acting as he is is supposedly to keep Gary out of prison, but I doubt anyone in real life would tolerate the level of humiliation Phelan is dishing out.
    Especially not when having been given multiple opportunities to record blackmail and extortion being admitted by Phelan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

yes, he is a pig :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam at nursery? - but he will be 5 in July so he should have started school last September.

Reception year starts in the September after a child turns 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where does the new mechanic live?? He has been on the street over a month now, works there but has not moved in! What is going on!!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter being late for the cinema...Why is Carla bothering to phone him? Why not look out of the window or have a look around the street - he never goes anywhere else.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Anna looks like she's shrivelling up and getting smaller by the minute with guilt!
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    Kevin tells Sophie and Maddie to go and have a shower and change their clothes.

What clothes would they have at his house?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally has just said "Are you alright Peter?" What happened to calling him "Mr Barlow". This is what makes the calling of the factory bosses by Mr & Mrs ridiculous. As we have siad before - most of the factory girls know him as Peter and have known him for years, so it is stupid that they call him Mr Barlow at work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where does Leanne live? Thought it was at no. 13 or did she move out in the episodes i missed last week?
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when the rovers got refurbed after the fire why did they have the bar in the same position? its totally absurd that they have that much back bar when, the front of bar area is so tiny. stick a few tables and chairs behind the bar and you could quadruple capacity!

and dont get me started on staffing levels. a back street boozer that size would only have 1 person on 90% of the time, yet in the middle of the day there are 3 people on shift reguarly.
This discussion has been closed.