Panettone

henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
99p Stores (in Camden) have Panettone 750g sell by 30 Apr 2014.

Comments

• Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,033
    Forum Member
    I bought one from my local 99p store and it was lovely. Quite rich with lovely fruit in it but it was also very light. Kept fresh for ages too. In fact I've just bought another as it was such good value.
    They had a couple of different brands there. I had the one in a sort of light brown paper with a green ribbon on top.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Damn. I'm not in Camden and I've never had panettone.

Ah well. You shan't miss what you never had.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Damn. I'm not in Camden and I've never had panettone.

Ah well. You shan't miss what you never had.

They normally sell it is Lidl, especially around Christmas.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I'm working my way through one from the 99p shop too.

I've been slicing & buttering it, its a lot like a giant hot cross bun (without the cross).
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    Makes fabulous bread and butter pudding.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'm Italian so really like Panettone, and Panforte too when I can get it. You've just got time to buy the Easter version of Panettone called Colomba, which is shaped like a dove, and if you fancy something special you can try the pear and chocolate one made by the Fiasconaro brothers in Sicily: http://www.mediterraneandirect.co.uk/Luxury-Italian-Easter-Cake-Pear-Chocolate-Colomba-1000g-7072
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    I'm Italian so really like Panettone, and Panforte too when I can get it. You've just got time to buy the Easter version of Panettone called Colomba, which is shaped like a dove, and if you fancy something special you can try the pear and chocolate one made by the Fiasconaro brothers in Sicily: http://www.mediterraneandirect.co.uk/Luxury-Italian-Easter-Cake-Pear-Chocolate-Colomba-1000g-7072

The pear and chocolate version sounds divine!
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I used to like Pannetone but these days I tend to use TRESemme, or Aussie..
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »

It is in the 99p stores because Italians wouldn't dream of eating Panettone after Christmas - or Colomba after Easter.

Lucky us. I went back and bought another three - so 6 in total with a couple as presents.

Off to the Gym ...

It is lovely toasted with a blob of vanilla ice cream on top.

Buttering it is great but so fattening.

Everything nice is sinful or fattening though.