New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news of Bale being offered $50mill is completely false.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    The news of Bale being offered $50mill is completely false.

Well I don't believe Orlando Bloom was considered for the role.

There's such a load of garbage going about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I can't see them going the Bale route at all.

Who's that guy playing Lone Ranger at the moment? He looks possible, and I also read Josh Brolin was a possibility. My first thought was meh, but actually I do think he could do the older, more grizzled Bats and Bruce quite well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I know, it's crazy right? Apparently after Man Of Steel 2 aka Superman vs Batman, the next movie will be the Justice League movie in 2017.

So its going to go from Man Of Steel (2013) > Superman vs Batman (2015) > Justice League (2017).

If this is the route they're going to take i think it's completely and utterly wrong. Especially shoehorning all this within the MOS/Superman franchise.

why not? it's time for new ideas and new ways. I am tired of reboots using always the same content.

A Superman vs Batman can be an interesting change in the screenplays.

Two great heroes together :)
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    So Man Of Steel is out on DVD and Blu Ray on November 12th in the US and December 2nd in the UK.Its strange that there is a delay between US and UK release as they were released at the same time in cinema in both countries!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've just watched this and it didn't really feel like a superman film.

The start was like a cross between star wars and avatar.
    Then the snow scenes were a bit like th x files.

then it just turned into an action scifi aliens v earth average film.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I still haven't seen this film (no way I would pay for it) but I think I have now watched enough clips on YouTube to be able to give a fair criticism of the film's tone.

I just think it is a horrible film. It's dark, gloomy, miserable, violent, aggressive, hopeless and bleak. Everything Superman is not. I have always been the biggest Superman fan but this is not what I call a Superman film at all. Even all the colours are dark and depressing, like someone has tried to take all the life and goodness out of the film.

Superman is not supposed to be an evil character, he's supposed to be GOOD. This "Superman" is anything but good. Why is there so much extreme violence in a movie that children are going to see? This isn't just punching and kicking, it's completely savage and brutal. There's so much destruction and over-exaggerated action it's hard to even follow what's happening.

I would put this in the same category as the new Transformers films: a great franchise from my childhood which has been turned into a tasteless, senseless, artless celebration of violence, loud noises and explosions.

This makes Superman Returns seem like a great Superman film, and I hated that film!
    Forum Member
    I still haven't seen this film (no way I would pay for it) but I think I have now watched enough clips on YouTube to be able to give a fair criticism of the film's tone.

I just think it is a horrible film. It's dark, gloomy, miserable, violent, aggressive, hopeless and bleak. Everything Superman is not. I have always been the biggest Superman fan but this is not what I call a Superman film at all. Even all the colours are dark and depressing, like someone has tried to take all the life and goodness out of the film.

Superman is not supposed to be an evil character, he's supposed to be GOOD. This "Superman" is anything but good. Why is there so much extreme violence in a movie that children are going to see? This isn't just punching and kicking, it's completely savage and brutal. There's so much destruction and over-exaggerated action it's hard to even follow what's happening.

I would put this in the same category as the new Transformers films: a great franchise from my childhood which has been turned into a tasteless, senseless, artless celebration of violence, loud noises and explosions.

This makes Superman Returns seem like a great Superman film, and I hated that film!

You've not seen the film.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

I would love to read your review on the Batman vs Superman film. I know it's not made yet but you can give an in depth review of a movie you've not seen so it should be no problem to you.
    Forum Member
    I wasn't criticising the plot. As I said, I was only criticising the tone, style and character, which is far more relevant to whether a film is actually enjoyable.

The greatest plot in the world does not make an unpleasant film any more bearable. You have to actually enjoy the content of the film.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't criticising the plot. As I said, I was only criticising the tone, style and character, which is far more relevant to whether a film is actually enjoyable.

The greatest plot in the world does not make an unpleasant film any more bearable. You have to actually enjoy the content of the film.

You've not seen the film. Stop, before you embarass yourself even further.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I don't suppose it would be altogether impossible to form a rough, general idea of what a film might be like via clips, trailers etc, but the only way to see why a film has been made the way it's been made is to see it fully. Then you get the reason, context, effect etc. Things that might at first appear disparate click into place, and so forth.

Don't kid yourself otherwise, and don't forget - you may be surprised. And personally, I'd say once you're not open to being surprised you may as well pack in cinema altogether.
    Forum Member
    OK well then let me ask a simple question: are there any scenes in the film that aren't dark and gloomy in tone? Any scenes with a strong sense of personality, wit, joy, hope and goodness, like the original Superman films? Every clip I have seen reminds me of those dark, depressing joyless films such as Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter which I cannot bear to watch.

Of course it could simply be that I adore Reeve and don't think Cavill comes close to his performance. I think Reeve has an air of goodness about him, while Cavill just looks sinister all the time IMHO. To me, the dark costume and hairstyle just say "this Superman is evil".
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With respect, I really think you need to watch the film first before posting a detailed appraisal of it.:confused:
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK well then let me ask a simple question: are there any scenes in the film that aren't dark and gloomy in tone?

Yes.
    Any scenes with a strong sense of personality, wit, joy, hope and goodness, like the original Superman films?

Yes.
    Of course it could simply be that I adore Reeve and don't think Cavill comes close to his performance.

You haven't seen his performance. You've seen snippets. Watch the bloody film!!!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    OK well then let me ask a simple question: are there any scenes in the film that aren't dark and gloomy in tone? Any scenes with a strong sense of personality, wit, joy, hope and goodness, like the original Superman films? Every clip I have seen reminds me of those dark, depressing joyless films such as Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter which I cannot bear to watch.

Of course it could simply be that I adore Reeve and don't think Cavill comes close to his performance. I think Reeve has an air of goodness about him, while Cavill just looks sinister all the time IMHO. To me, the dark costume and hairstyle just say "this Superman is evil".

How can you say he looks sinister all of the time if you havent seen the film?? he is portrayed as a good man, mild and meek, helping others quietly and without the need for thanks or adoration, he is a good man.

There are scenes of joy and goodness,also scenes of great love, the scenes with his earth father are touching and emotional, the scenes with his birth parents are also emotional, their love for him is so great that they send him across the universe so that he can live on.

Come back when you have seen the film and then comment again.
    Forum Member

*applause* This is even more stupid than your first post. Bit chilly under the bridge is it?
    Forum Member
    So basically everyone here thinks I'm stupid for having an opinion about a film I haven't seen in its entirety.

But hang on, doesn't everyone make that kind of a judgement about a film based on trailers? Doesn't everyone form an impression of the style and tone of the film based on a trailer, and, arguably, isn't it the job of a trailer to accurately portray the tone of the film so that people know what to expect?

So why is it OK for people to say they don't like how a film looks based on the trailer, yet I am told not to speculate on whether I like what I see, having watched a significant amount of footage from the film?

If I were to hold you all to the "don't judge a film based on a few clips" logic, then you should never watch a trailer again and always decide randomly on which films you want to see, because it is impossible to make an assessment about whether you like something based on only seeing clips?

I knew from seeing the trailers last year that I wouldn't like the film, but sometimes trailers are badly made and can be misleading. But now having watched maybe half an hour of footage in total, and probably having seen footage of (or stills from) every scene, I feel I am in a position to judge whether or not I like what they have done with the film.

And another thing, if you said to me "try this cake" and I tasted a piece and thought it was absolutely disgusting, would it not be fair of me to say I don't like the cake based on one piece? You may argue that the cake contains many different flavours and that was just one piece, but for me (and I think most people) if a cake has parts that are highly objectionable then no matter how good the other parts are, we are never going to like it. It's like, if there was a film that had 2 hours of cute puppies and 5 minutes of footage of the puppies being killed, all the "good parts" wouldn't justify the bad parts and I would not want to watch it because of the bad parts. I have seen parts of Man of Steel that I thought were horribly and gratuitously violent and I would not want to see them ever again.
    Forum Member
    ^ Again, you sidestep the point, as does your cake analogy.

Trailers can give an impression, but only so far. They cannot cover the whole film, and sometimes fail to convey certain aspects. The only way to know what a film is actually like, and whether or not you'll like it, is to watch it.

Unless, of course, you've already made up your mind to dislike it.
    Forum Member
    There's nothing "sinister or evil" about Cavill's Superman. At all. He's an imposing presence, but "evil"? "Sinister"? No.

He makes an awesome Man of Steel, but then if you'd seen the film you'd know this. There are darker moments compared to the 70's classic, but personally as someone who has stepped outside the movies to a small degree with some comic books, it's not a fatal move for a new approach.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically everyone here thinks I'm stupid for having an opinion about a film I haven't seen in its entirety.

But hang on, doesn't everyone make that kind of a judgement about a film based on trailers? Doesn't everyone form an impression of the style and tone of the film based on a trailer, and, arguably, isn't it the job of a trailer to accurately portray the tone of the film so that people know what to expect?

So why is it OK for people to say they don't like how a film looks based on the trailer, yet I am told not to speculate on whether I like what I see, having watched a significant amount of footage from the film?

If I were to hold you all to the "don't judge a film based on a few clips" logic, then you should never watch a trailer again and always decide randomly on which films you want to see, because it is impossible to make an assessment about whether you like something based on only seeing clips?

I knew from seeing the trailers last year that I wouldn't like the film, but sometimes trailers are badly made and can be misleading. But now having watched maybe half an hour of footage in total, and probably having seen footage of (or stills from) every scene, I feel I am in a position to judge whether or not I like what they have done with the film.

And another thing, if you said to me "try this cake" and I tasted a piece and thought it was absolutely disgusting, would it not be fair of me to say I don't like the cake based on one piece? You may argue that the cake contains many different flavours and that was just one piece, but for me (and I think most people) if a cake has parts that are highly objectionable then no matter how good the other parts are, we are never going to like it. It's like, if there was a film that had 2 hours of cute puppies and 5 minutes of footage of the puppies being killed, all the "good parts" wouldn't justify the bad parts and I would not want to watch it because of the bad parts. I have seen parts of Man of Steel that I thought were horribly and gratuitously violent and I would not want to see them ever again.

You really ought to watch it. It's very good.

In the 'battle of Smallville' sequence he comes across as particularly heroic.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think anyone has said you are stupid.

Some may have been facetious, but in the main, we are baffled that you gave such a detailed appraisal about a film you are yet to watch.

I don't want to spoil it for you, just in case you plan to watch, but some of the things you've said about Kal-El are not even true, if you watch the film in its entirety.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The cake analogy you've used is poor, mainly because whilst a slice of cake is an ad for how the rest will taste trailers, on the other hand, are completely misleading most of the time - the Man of Steel trailer is, ironically, a prime example - portrayed itself as an emotionally, gut wrenching epic and turned out to be a generic action movie and if I wasn't such a Superman fan I probably would have disliked the movie (but can't bring myself to, come on it's Superman, dude).

Having said that...there is a difference between making a prediction based on a trailer and using the trailer to actively judge the entire movie. Whilst you can form your opinions on the trailer all you like you have to keep an open mind when going to watch the movie in it's entirety. Seeing scenes in context changes everything.
    Although, if you're somebody who focuses on tone and style then this movie probably isn't for you. You should probably stick to comedies because this is a film that takes itself very seriously throughout.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Cavill makes a good Superman.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Cavill makes a good Superman.

:o only two years late.