The Walking Dead - Season 4 (UK Pace)

Comments

• brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for what happened to her, maybe it was a literal version of what TVTropes
    calls "Put on a Bus" - remove someone from the series without killing 'em off.
    She may return...
    If we're talking about Beth, I'm fairly sure she's not at Terminus. The MO of her abduction was completely different to that of Terminus, and the place she was taken from was quite distant. As I recall, she and Daryl hadn't seen any of the Terminus signs yet, and were still wandering aimlessly.

I expect she'll either be part of the rescue party, or else will hold the baby while Carol and Tyreese rescue. I hope the former; I think people underestimate her. (But then again, I was hoping it wouldn't be cannibals.)
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    If we're talking about Beth, I'm fairly sure she's not at Terminus. The MO of her abduction was completely different to that of Terminus, and the place she was taken from was quite distant. As I recall, she and Daryl hadn't seen any of the Terminus signs yet, and were still wandering aimlessly.

I expect she'll either be part of the rescue party, or else will hold the baby while Carol and Tyreese rescue. I hope the former; I think people underestimate her. (But then again, I was hoping it wouldn't be cannibals.)

All the foreshadowing in the final episode definitely points to Beth returning at some point and in a much tougher role "New Sheriff in town "
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I think people need to stop assuming every line of dialogue is foreshadowing.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cessamin wrote: »
    I think people need to stop assuming every line of dialogue is foreshadowing.

It wasn't just the dialogue , it was the two episodes devoted to her before she got snatched .
  • eirmaneirman Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    I think the speculation about terminus being a pre-ZA religious cult could be spot on.
    It could of course be a doomsday prepper group which are quite common in the USA today.
    That would account for the large, but limited/restricted membership.

Remember all those "prepper" programs on Nat Geo and the huge arsenals they would have.

An episode devoted to the transformation of this cult into cannibals would be interesting.
    Regarding biting .... has anyone ever seen a zombie (in any movie or tv program) without natural strong teeth.
    A significant proportion of the population does have dentures!

And while I'm at it .....
    Where are all the zombie children and babies?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eirman wrote: »

And while I'm at it .....
    Where are all the zombie children and babies?

Any babies were probably mostly eaten, those that did become Zombie's wouldn't be exactly mobile.

Plus of course they would have to be done with CGI rather than makeup. They do seem to be going down the CGI route a bit as the Walkers decay more so maybe we will see a Walker Baby at some point.

As for older children, I agree we probably should have seen a few more than we have.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Any babies were probably mostly eaten, those that did become Zombie's wouldn't be exactly mobile.

Plus of course they would have to be done with CGI rather than makeup. They do seem to be going down the CGI route a bit as the Walkers decay more so maybe we will see a Walker Baby at some point.

As for older children, I agree we probably should have seen a few more than we have.

Also....how long can a walker survive without food? If somebody "turns" into a zombie
    after, say, being half-buried under a rockfall, how long could it survive without
    eating?
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also....how long can a walker survive without food? If somebody "turns" into a zombie
    after, say, being half-buried under a rockfall, how long could it survive without
    eating?

Id guess pretty much indefinitely until the brain is destroyed ?

we have seen some "old" walkers that are pretty much just heads ...and the brain would technically have no blood flow or oxygen flowing to it so food wouldn't seem that important in the grand scheme of things :confused:

so if the brain is intact then that walker is "immortal" or "un-immortal" ;)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id guess pretty much indefinitely until the brain is destroyed ?

we have seen some "old" walkers that are pretty much just heads ...and the brain would technically have no blood flow or oxygen flowing to it so food wouldn't seem that important in the grand scheme of things :confused:

so if the brain is intact then that walker is "immortal" or "un-immortal" ;)

It's probably best not to look into the whole "how do walkers function" too closely. They don't seem to have any energy source, even if they eat how does the food get to their muscles since they have no pumping blood.

Basically the whole idea is nonsense from a scientific point of view so it's best to treat it as magic fantasy and go with it, it's all about the survivors rather than the walkers with the walkers just providing the setting. The people agonising over why a sharp implement to the brain always kills them really make me laugh:D.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the walkers eating people has a dual purpose. One, the obvious base instinct to consume. Two, for fresh exposure to the walker virus. I'm guessing the living virus is what is animating the walkers (think biologically) to move no matter how falling apart the body (as in it's not healing...at all), and as more and more of it dies there is less living host for the virus to multiply...until the walker gets drenched in fresh virus in blood/guts.
    Forum Member
    I think the walkers eating people has a dual purpose. One, the obvious base instinct to consume. Two, for fresh exposure to the walker virus. I'm guessing the living virus is what is animating the walkers (think biologically) to move no matter how falling apart the body (as in it's not healing...at all), and as more and more of it dies there is less living host for the virus to multiply...until the walker gets drenched in fresh virus in blood/guts.

I hope in the next season we might learn more about the Walker virus, and
    whether Eugene really does know where it came from. If there's a possibility
    of a cure for the Walker virus, that would give the show some new
    dramatic stakes.
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing that breaks the illusion for me is the lack of flies and maggots wouldn't the zombies be riddled with bugs. Some of them have been in locked rooms for months when they open a door nothing just the zombie.
    Forum Member
    F2kSel wrote: »
    The one thing that breaks the illusion for me is the lack of flies and maggots wouldn't the zombies be riddled with bugs. Some of them have been in locked rooms for months when they open a door nothing just the zombie.

One of the zombies in this season had a head wound festering
    with maggots (YIKES!). :eek:
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't believe how bad the show has become. Constant twists and these new characters don't work.
  • eirmaneirman Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    If you really want to bitch about the zombies, how about the fact that the same zombies reappear week after week even after they have been killed again and again.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It's probably best not to look into the whole "how do walkers function" too closely. They don't seem to have any energy source, even if they eat how does the food get to their muscles since they have no pumping blood.

Basically the whole idea is nonsense from a scientific point of view so it's best to treat it as magic fantasy and go with it, it's all about the survivors rather than the walkers with the walkers just providing the setting. The people agonising over why a sharp implement to the brain always kills them really make me laugh:D.

I am always pointing this out on these forums. How realistic do people want their zombie apocalypse stories?
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Zombie mechanics

in the old days it was pure magic that created them (necromancy) but modern twists have them constructed through a virus of some kind.

I prefer the old school method you can suspend reality much easier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I am always pointing this out on these forums. How realistic do people want their zombie apocalypse stories?

Realism from the zombie point of view is impossible as there are too many scientific flaws in the whole thing. You just have to treat it as "magic" (similar to Merlin but with blood and guts) and then look at how people react to this impossible world.

The zombies are impossible so we just have to accept the rules of the show, the main ones are the dead are walking around trying to eat the living, they are attracted to sound and are "killed" by trauma to the brain.

Knowing it's nonsense doesn't alter my enjoyment of the program, I just go with the flow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Re: Zombie mechanics

in the old days it was pure magic that created them (necromancy) but modern twists have them constructed through a virus of some kind.

I prefer the old school method you can suspend reality much easier.

I agree with this, bad science is much worse than no science. Just leave it as magic, that makes it easier to believe in the world that exists in the story.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Realism from the zombie point of view is impossible as there are too many scientific flaws in the whole thing. You just have to treat it as "magic" (similar to Merlin but with blood and guts) and then look at how people react to this impossible world.

The zombies are impossible so we just have to accept the rules of the show, the main ones are the dead are walking around trying to eat the living, they are attracted to sound and are "killed" by trauma to the brain.

Knowing it's nonsense doesn't alter my enjoyment of the program, I just go with the flow.

I just hop on board and enjoy the ride! It is my favourite show on TV and I don't bother about how unrealistic it is.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I kinda like it when they try to use science to explain stuff rather than just falling back on the whole "it's magic" thing.

If it was me, I think I'd try and suggest that zombies were, perhaps, solar-powered although, to make such a thing believable, you'd probably have to have the skins bristling with, perhaps, shiny "blotches" denoting some kind of organic "solar panels".
    You could actually work that into the plot, though, where one of the symptoms after people have been bitten is that their skin starts to crystalise around the wound or summat.
    It'd also make for plausible explanations for stuff like, for example, when the protagonists explore a dark area they "wake up" dormant zombies by allowing light into the area.

The one thing that worries me is that some writer, on TWD perhaps, is going to try to be a bit "right-on" and come up with the idea that the zombies are powered by excessive pollution or global warming or something, and imply that we all need to go back to being a pre-industrial civilisation in order to avert zombiegeddon.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think series regulars get a steady wage regardless of whether they appear in
    every single ep, whereas guest actors have to be paid for each ep seperately.
    As for what happened to her, maybe it was a literal version of what TVTropes
    calls "Put on a Bus" - remove someone from the series without killing 'em off.
    She may return...

T-Dog wasn't a series regular so would wasn't credited in episodes he wasn't in so therefore wouldn't have been paid for every episode. Emily Kinney would have got a contract for the year, with a credit for every episode. Say she got paid £1 for every episode she would still get £16 by the end of the series even if she appeared in just 7 episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok after buying boxset 1-3 and now watching 4 I'm uptodate as a new arrival to TWD. It's now my fave show. I'll admit my crush on Andrew Lincoln got me onto the show but I am loving it.

I liked season 4, even the episodes others didn't. Carol and Carl have really emerged for me over this season and have been amazing. With the addition of Tara and Rosita next season, I see Maggie going and maybe even Sasha as there hasn't been a lot of development for her. I'd be sad for Glen to go.

I adore Michonne, she is my favourite character in the show and seeing some of her back story was great.

The worst thing is I've had control of how I watch season 1-4 and I need 5 now!!!!
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The season 4 Bluray will be released on August 26 (in North America - not sure about the rest of the world). The limited edition version will be packaged with a "Tree Walker" for $90. When you remove the Blurays from the base, the Tree Walker’s head and arm move.

Here's what it will look like: LINK
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to bump this thread up as I know this season finished a while ago. But I've watched 11 episodes in like a day.

I was losing interest in this show, so I got a bit behind but after catching up I have to say I loved the whole season.

I was really glad they're out of the prison, bit like the farm, they were there for too long. But I loved it when they all got split up and we have individual episodes of each groups and seeing their paths cross. I thought the last 8 episodes were brilliantly written and acted and the finale was amazing.

Roll on season 5, my love for TWD is back.