Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided the only Nolan show news review I can bear to listen to is the one on Saturday evenings.

Some of the people on Friday & Sunday make completely outrageous statements & usually the whole review descends into a shouting match !
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's the night I listen to LBC.

I've went right off the Virtual Jukebox.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's the night I listen to LBC.

I've went right off the Virtual Jukebox.

I think quite a few are going over. Although there are some notable good points, most of the 5 station's output is inferior.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can Ian Payne be a presenter on Five and also on its main rival (and also nicking listeners) Lbc? I really worry that the national broadcaster is unable to find quality broadcasters without resorting to mercanarys who appear to have no loyalties. Mind you this is the state broadcaster who employs Savage and Wright.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Ian Payne, excitable and not very good and along with the Savage and Co offering last night just more proof that the 5 live rot as finally spread to the once excellent football output:(
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Yes Ian Payne, excitable and not very good and along with the Savage and Co offering last night just more proof that the 5 live rot as finally spread to the once excellent football output:(

I don't mind Payne - I just endured a few minutes of Ian Wright and Kelly tonight and i hit the Talk Sport button. 606 is dreadful now on both days.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the Sunday 606 now, bring back Alan!

However, I like the Saturday show, I think it works well, I'm actually quite a fan of Savage, I think he suits the show. I preferred when Mark Chapman was the host but Fletcher is decent enough
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I've decided the only Nolan show news review I can bear to listen to is the one on Saturday evenings.

Some of the people on Friday & Sunday make completely outrageous statements & usually the whole review descends into a shouting match !

Agreed.

Just turned on and they've already got the Bishop on, shedding crocodile tears and feigning outrage at a Mail story pointing out that not everyone who goes to food banks are actually in need.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    I don't like the Sunday 606 now, bring back Alan!

However, I like the Saturday show, I think it works well, I'm actually quite a fan of Savage, I think he suits the show. I preferred when Mark Chapman was the host but Fletcher is decent enough

I quite agree, (apart from bring back Alan). I can't see the problem with Savage. He has a bit of personality and although he sometimes goes a bit over the top, at least he knows a lot about the game and can be quite amusing.

Ian Wright was also a good player in his day, but as a radio presenter, he is absolute cr*p. Luckily, the Press Pass is on Talk Sport at the same time. (An excellent program; recommended by The Difference).
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can Ian Payne be a presenter on Five and also on its main rival (and also nicking listeners) Lbc? I really worry that the national broadcaster is unable to find quality broadcasters without resorting to mercanarys who appear to have no loyalties.

What a bizarre comment. It's called being Freelance! He's also an ITV News Sports Correspondent, and presumably wherever else he gets work from to pay the bills.
    If he wants to work in Salford till 6pm Sunday evening, and get to London to present LBC Breakfast for 7am Monday, good luck to him!

Just turned on and they've already got the Bishop on, shedding crocodile tears and feigning outrage at a Mail story pointing out that not everyone who goes to food banks are actually in need.

Between The sodding Bishop and Owen Jones, I was ready to scream last night! That idiot Nolan just kept repeating, "1 million people need food parcels", whenever the discussion was expanded (by the Taxpayer's Alliance man) whilst Nolan only deals with slogans. The day that man does an ounce of research before turning up for his show, I'll faint with shock! And what an absolute hypocrite the Bishop is? Remember the night a report came out about how many assets and shares the Church has, and he got all wobbly lipped when people rang in to criticise him?

Then there's Chris Warburton, who I believe is Derbyshire's Producer, but has his own show on Saturday evening. How did this man get into speech radio? He talks like a music DJ who should be on Magic or Smooth - a news/speech presenter he most definitely is NOT!
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Between The sodding Bishop and Owen Jones, I was ready to scream last night! That idiot Nolan just kept repeating, "1 million people need food parcels", whenever the discussion was expanded (by the Taxpayer's Alliance man) whilst Nolan only deals with slogans. The day that man does an ounce of research before turning up for his show, I'll faint with shock!
    So Nolan is making it all up, is he? I think not. I see the Mail even had it as a headline themselves a few days ago. Obviously 'sloganeering' too. I'm with Nolan and the Bishop, Long may they continue. Best hour of the week on 5 Live.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605661/Almost-ONE-million-Britons-seek-food-bank-help-following-162-percent-jump-number-people-seeking-emergency-food-help.html
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to Saturday's 606 and agree with those who say it isn't a bad listen. It's not perfect by any means, at times Savage goes over the top with the shouting etc, but he's at least a bit different to the usual boring ex-footballer pundits 5Live have on... I've still not forgiven them for inflicting Steve Claridge on an unsuspecting public. Savage is however not a great co-commentator, but he's fine for a reasonably light-hearted phone-in show which 606 is. Sunday's version of the show however is dreadful and I'm staggered as to why Wrighty gets so much work. he used to present on Talksport where he was poor, and, as well as his 5Live show, he presents a Saturday phone-in on Absolute where he is equally inept.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    What a bizarre comment. It's called being Freelance! He's also an ITV News Sports Correspondent, and presumably wherever else he gets work from to pay the bills.
    If he wants to work in Salford till 6pm Sunday evening, and get to London to present LBC Breakfast for 7am Monday, good luck to him! QUOTE.

Nothing bizarre about it at all. Why should the BBc employ freelancers who also work for its direct rival? Would have King Richard I have employed free lance knights on Monday against the Saracens, knowing that the Saracens would be employing the very same free lancers to fight him on the Tuesday...? I think not
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer these people who take over the normal presenters during public holidays files dilnot on break fast over the normal presenter and other temp replacement

also dont like the recent changes were the presenters have to talk or explain in 5-10 sec what coming up on their show and what coming up in the next hr of their show seems to rushed and have to cut them off mid talking near the end of their show then hurry to next program too rushed and weather and traffic at top of each hr rather than mid way through dont like change and doesnt improve the show what so ever

5live needs a new haul and i want to be part of it looks fun
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Then there's Chris Warburton, who I believe is Derbyshire's Producer, but has his own show on Saturday evening. How did this man get into speech radio? He talks like a music DJ who should be on Magic or Smooth - a news/speech presenter he most definitely is NOT![/QUOTE]

I totally agree - I think he is dreadful and on a par with Derbyshire, Bacon and Nolan. He does seem to have support on this site but I am at a loss as to why.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    So Nolan is making it all up, is he? I think not. I see the Mail even had it as a headline themselves a few days ago. Obviously 'sloganeering' too. I'm with Nolan and the Bishop, Long may they continue. Best hour of the week on 5 Live.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605661/Almost-ONE-million-Britons-seek-food-bank-help-following-162-percent-jump-number-people-seeking-emergency-food-help.html

if that's the best hour of the week on 5live it's no wonder audiences are flatlining.. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five live has turned into the Man Utd station this morning... Football bloke gets sacked - BIG DEAL!

Where is the NEWS??? >:(>:(
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel as though I have been hearing about this blinkin' Man,Utd. obsession on Radio 5live/Manchester and tv even more than usual ever since Moyes was appointed last summer.Personally I think this chasing Premier and Champions League glory plus loads of money b*ll*cks, is driving football people and the media insane.

An interview with the publicity seeking Beckhams can't be far away folks.

Where is the serious news FFS ?
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes folks, we're in for a day of wall to wall Man U & David Moyes on Radio 5 today ! >:(
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel as though I have been hearing about this blinkin' Man,Utd. obsession on radio and tv even more than usual ever since Moyes was appointed last summer.Personally I think this chasing Premier and Champions League glory b*ll*cks is driving football people and the media insane.

An interview with the publicity seeking Beckhams can't be far away folks.

Where is the serious news FFS ?
    No surprises there then 5 Live became a football station first, and news station second, and has been so for a good few years now., at least since the days of Bob Shennan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    No surprises there then 5 Live became a football station first, and news station second, and has been so for a good few years now., at least since the days of Bob Shennan.

Well perhaps that dimwit should have changed the name of 5Live/Manchester to ' Radio Football/News Second ' so we all know where we stand, instead of trying to con people that it was actually a proper news station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well perhaps that dimwit should have changed the name of 5Live/Manchester to ' Radio Football/News Second ' so we all know where we stand, instead of trying to con people that it was actually a proper news station.

At least it knocked Derbyshire and her incessant Misery Hour off the airways then...
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Another BBC Manchester production on again rather than 5 live.

No wonder so many Londoners are switching to LBC
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    At least it knocked Derbyshire and her incessant Misery Hour off the airways then...

Don't worry all Misery fans. Fogarty is doing OCD on her lunch time "show". Click.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry all Misery fans. Fogarty is doing OCD on her lunch time "show". Click.

...and then back and track with more never ending ' expert punditry ' discussing the ' Man U / Moyes crisis '.
This discussion has been closed.