Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    What an awful, mawkish, laugh-free comedy this is.:confused: One episode of watching that gurning fool is more than enough for me. No more. Cant believe how low gervais has sunk since his Office days.

That music they played at the start, it seems like a spoof of a sentimental documentary but it isn't a spoof, it's confusing, the sentiment is spooned on so thick.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    What an awful, mawkish, laugh-free comedy this is.:confused: One episode of watching that gurning fool is more than enough for me. No more. Cant believe how low gervais has sunk since his Office days.

Bye then..
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They lost Karl Pilkington, but they managed to keep the sad piano.
  • JustinCredibleJustinCredible Posts: 19,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What condition does Derek have that causes him to add "s" to the end of words?
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Jeff being as good a dougie...... I hope im wrong.

Is the new bloke just a rehash of the IT guy Simon from The Office?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8pgV74_Hw
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Help a girl out here. Initially I didn't warm to the first series, but I watched it all in one go and really loved it, especially the episode where Karl tells a grasping greedy relative to eff off. The ending was a little awkward and didn't work that well, but I was game for season 2. However I saw the promo and it really looked mawkish and terrible.

Should I dive in, as I don't want to be horribly disappointed. I watched the entire extras xmas episode earlier today, and it had me in fits of tears, I love it!
  • DavielDaviel Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed a lot of Ricky Gervais's work, and some of it has been brilliant. The pilot of Derek last year was decent enough but through most of series 1 I just wondered what it was for. It doesn't have enough funny moments to stand up as a comedy and what remains often just struck me as forced, overplayed 'sentimental' set pieces to create 'moving' moments.

I feared the worst when I saw a second series had been commissioned and sure enough last nights episode was utterly pathetic. I'm not sure if I've watched a lamer piece of TV.

Gervais clearly wields a lot of power and execrable stuff like this getting a prime slot is the result. I won't tune in again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah and Tom trying for a baby seems a bit random. They're not even married or engaged are they? They meet for the first time in the first series and by the 2nd they're trying for something as serious as a baby.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the show but I admit I have to suspend disbelief about a few things, lol. Like why is Kev in a senior's home drinking booze all day? And Hannah and that guy sneaking off to have sex because they're trying for a baby? :confused: And Dougie left because he got annoyed at a new guy? I just kind of take the situations for what they are and try to overlook the idea that they don't fit it. I enjoy the funny bits more than the emotional bits so far, although last series was 50/50. The sentimentality thus far feels more awkward than anything.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rubbish.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    Hannah and Tom trying for a baby seems a bit random. They're not even married or engaged are they?
    The 1950s called and said your dinner's getting cold :D
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely to see Derek back, I had watched the 4od box set in the last week, to use as a catch up.

On Tom and Hannah, trying for a baby, I thought at the beginning of the epsiode they said that a yesr had past, could they possibly be married now who knows.

it was a Derek centred programme, nice to see him get to know his dad, how his dad got a place there is another issue, but so is Derek and especially Kev still being there late at night, dont residential homes, have a cut off time for vistors.

Nice to see Dougie wasnt killed off, but for a second you thought he had.

Victoria, has become nice, after watching her first appearance you would hsve never dresmt of her working there properly, she wanted to be a karadashian.

kev licking the special brew of the arpet was funny, Carlsburg must be happy for the name to be used, it probably makes them money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely to see Derek back, I had watched the 4od box set in the last week, to use as a catch up.

On Tom and Hannah, trying for a baby, I thought at the beginning of the epsiode they said that a yesr had past, could they possibly be married now who knows.

it was a Derek centred programme, nice to see him get to know his dad, how his dad got a place there is another issue, but so is Derek and especially Kev still being there late at night, dont residential homes, have a cut off time for vistors.

Nice to see Dougie wasnt killed off, but for a second you thought he had.

Victoria, has become nice, after watching her first appearance you would hsve never dresmt of her working there properly, she wanted to be a karadashian.

kev licking the special brew of the arpet was funny, Carlsburg must be happy for the name to be used, it probably makes them money.

Other than nicking slippers from ASDA for grannies, yeah, she's nice. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than nicking slippers from ASDA for grannies, yeah, she's nice. :D

Oh yes i over looked that, cant see tge new guy, taking them on a day out, and cleaning the word **** from a crab
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first series and love most of what Gervais has created over the years...but.. that was a really poor episode!

The sentimentlity was really forced and the comedy was hardly there at all, kev on carpet and the brilliant pilkington and the electric shock excepted..Really hated the new character as well. I just hope it improves and gets to the standard of first series.
  • ChoccyPeanutsChoccyPeanuts Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the episode and loved the last series and the values that it promoted. I'm gutted about Dougie leaving and hope he reappears in a later episode. I'm worried about the fact that his straight talking, ordinary bloke character has been replaced with yet another eccentric.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode and loved the last series and the values that it promoted. I'm gutted about Dougie leaving and hope he reappears in a later episode. I'm worried about the fact that his straight talking, ordinary bloke character has been replaced with yet another eccentric.

Yeah not sure about the new guy, cant remember his name, cant see him connecting so well with the others, I liked the Lizzy ending
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who watched the 'Life's Too Short' series might remember the new character in Derek as 'Brian', Warwick's "spiritual advisor and life coach". :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv4pymDRfrs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are most of the cast Rickys pals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are most of the cast Rickys pals.

Hannah briefly appeared in Life's Too Short
    Kev was in Extras
    Karl is obviously Ricky's mate, has appeared in Extras
    The guy who was David Brent's manager in the Office Christmas Special was Warwick's accountant in Life's Too Short

I'm sure there are others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah briefly appeared in Life's Too Short
    Kev was in Extras
    Karl is obviously Ricky's mate, has appeared in Extras
    The guy who was David Brent's manager in the Office Christmas Special was Warwick's accountant in Life's Too Short

I'm sure there are others.

Not that im complaining love the show, hoping we get a third series, and not just a last one off
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    Hannah and Tom trying for a baby seems a bit random. They're not even married or engaged are they? They meet for the first time in the first series and by the 2nd they're trying for something as serious as a baby.

I did wonder where that came from as well :confused:

I did :D:D:D At the worm joke tho :D
  • chimp123chimp123 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I thought the first episode of Derek last night was funny.
    I don't like the way people are slagging off this program if you don't like watching it turn over to another channel
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chimp123 wrote: »
    I thought the first episode of Derek last night was funny.
    I don't like the way people are slagging off this program if you don't like watching it turn over to another channel

Really:p It's a forum for contributions to a tv show, whether one likes it or not is academic, all should be free to state their opinions. Not everyone is going to like what you do..it's human nature.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really:p It's a forum for contributions to a tv show, whether one likes it or not is academic, all should be free to state their opinions. Not everyone is going to like what you do..it's human nature.

I get that point but what I don't get is why people who watched and hated series one are STILL watching and hating it now!:confused: