Hoorah! Royal tour ending

Comments

• UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Who said we need a president? Germany seems to be a role model to follow in a lot of respects.

I am no anti monarchist by any means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Germany
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Thank god. :) These past few weeks every time I turn on the tv there they are grinning at the cameras ;-)so maybe we'll have a short rest from them. We see them getting on and off planes, shaking hands, strolling around, we're told what they're wearing and what Georgie Porgie is wearing. Are any people on here really interested in this stuff?

Please let's see no more of them for a while. I have a feeling they will be announcing another pregnancy soon so a rest from them would be very welcome.

I enjoyed seeing them.

They represent this country very well and it's important they are good at doing that if the monarchy is to stay relevant.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Oh no it's ending?! And I was following it so closely in minute detail.

Now tell me which Royals was it and what was the place they went to?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed seeing them.

They represent this country very well and it's important they are good at doing that if the monarchy is to stay relevant.

The Monarchy does not have to 'stay relevant' or conform to any such popularist nonsense. They don't have to do anything apart from being in the blood line.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    That's because I'll laugh at anything

Nothing is too low for my taste..
    It's why I love you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I cant warm to them at all, theyre so false and they just seem to be larking about and posing.
    Cute baby though
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I cant warm to them at all, theyre so false and they just seem to be larking about and posing.
    Cute baby though

Indeed; makes you think though. That baby already has its life mapped out for it. It will almost certainly become the head of state regardless.

In any other context deciding from birth what a child will have to be would be regarded as totally ridiculous if not abusive. We really do need to find a way of selecting a head of state that bears some resemblance to how the rest of society works.
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Indeed; makes you think though. That baby already has its life mapped out for it. It will almost certainly become the head of state regardless.

In any other context deciding from birth what a child will have to be would be regarded as totally ridiculous if not abusive. We really do need to find a way of selecting a head of state that bears some resemblance to how the rest of society works.

A bit like how we vote for a Prime Minister or Mayor? Yeah that'll work
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Thank god. :) These past few weeks every time I turn on the tv there they are grinning at the cameras ;-)so maybe we'll have a short rest from them. We see them getting on and off planes, shaking hands, strolling around, we're told what they're wearing and what Georgie Porgie is wearing. Are any people on here really interested in this stuff?

Please let's see no more of them for a while. I have a feeling they will be announcing another pregnancy soon so a rest from them would be very welcome.

Do you tune in to a royal channel, because I have not see one thing on the royal tour sad you must have one channel.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Monarchy does not have to 'stay relevant' or conform to any such popularist nonsense. They don't have to do anything apart from being in the blood line.

That's a bit idealistic.

Of course they have to stay relevant or we may end up electing a government who have a policy of turning the UK into a republic.

I wouldn't say that the tour is "populist nonsense" anyway. The Duke and Duchess are just doing what the Royals do - it's not as though Kate is auditioning for X Factor is it!
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    Do you tune in to a royal channel, because I have not see one thing on the royal tour sad you must have one channel.

You gotta be kidding!!!
    Forum Member
    You gotta be kidding!!!

No not kidding, me I watch what I want to watch. really can not understand how people complain about what is on their tv. You have a choice use it sad sad ..... People
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Random42 wrote: »
    I know it sounds simple, but if you don't like it, avoid it.

Absolutely.

Some folks do like a moan don't they?
    Forum Member
    No not kidding, me I watch what I want to watch. really can not understand how people complain about what is on their tv. You have a choice use it sad sad ..... People

Youre actually calling people sad, myself included, yet you come on a royal thread to call us that.
    Forum Member
    Youre actually calling people sad, myself included, yet you come on a royal thread to call us that.

Hey I have nothing better to do at mo so reading the threads I will be off in a mo so no prob,

PS. did you know you can post/read any thread you like no rule about that but there is attacking a poster :D good night
    Forum Member
    Hey I have nothing better to do at mo so reading the threads I will be off in a mo so no prob,

PS. did you know you can post/read any thread you like no rule about that but there is attacking a poster :D good night

What you on about?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've actually been surprised at how low key the coverage has been.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be honest having seen that Neil Kinnocks son has just been ushered into a safe Labour seat I don't think that deciding a child's life from birth is restricted to royalty - or tv presenters for that matter.

It seems to be the case that those who possess privileged positions seek to promote their offspring to similar heights by all means at their disposal. So I think that if you took off the anti royalist blinkers you could be quite surprised at how the rest of society works.

And of course this is without going into detail about the Doctors, lawyers and other professionals who set their children along the same career path and smooth the way for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a miserable lot. Kate is the best thing to happen to the Royals for a long time. Lovely, lovely girl.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member

It'll never stop. Georgie Porgie's first walk, first words, first day at nursery, birthdays, first day at school etc etc.
    And if she squeezes out another one, it'll be double the mileage.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I've actually been surprised at how low key the coverage has been.

I was thinking that myself. Maybe we've just missed all the excitement?

I find them both very dull and uninteresting, they both looks middle aged before their time.
    Forum Member
    *paul* wrote: »
    What a miserable lot. Kate is the best thing to happen to the Royals for a long time. Lovely, lovely girl.

Perhaps she is, but how can she and William playing crazy golf (or whatever it was) be considered 'news' when there is actual news going on in the world is beyond me.

Did you see the BBC coverage? The absurdity of an intelligent grown man covering a 'story' about the minute movements and gestures of a baby was quite staggering.
    Nicholas Witchell I'm sure gets a remuneration he's pleased with, but surely he often looks in the mirror and says "Well, Nick, how did it come to this?", and weeps softly at the sheer futility of his career.
  • Jem CasperJem Casper Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Just think about it..

The clothes they wear.. The food they eat... the toys the baby plays with.. all funded by you -the tax payer. Yet they still get showered in gifts from the places they visit.
  • Jem CasperJem Casper Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It'll never stop. Georgie Porgie's first walk, first words, first day at nursery, birthdays, first day at school etc etc.
    And if she squeezes out another one, it'll be double the mileage.

That baby will be your king one day. Puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

I'm glad I don't live in the UK any more! This family, apart from The Queen and Zara, grates on me.
    Forum Member
    Jem Casper wrote: »
    That baby will be your king one day. Puts things into perspective, doesn't it?
    Nominally yes, but I don't regard them as my royal family.
    Our royal family was murdered in the 13th century.