Options

Wladimir Klitschko vs Alex Leapai Eurosport

coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
British Eurosport has secured the rights to screen Wladimir Klitschko’s latest world heavyweight title defence against Australian fighter Alex Leapai in April.
Saturday, April 26, in Oberhausen, Germany.

for Eurosport to get this fight, its great considering theres Sky Sports, BT Sports and Box Nation...

David Kerr, Managing Director of British Eurosport said, “It’s fantastic to be broadcasting this high profile world heavyweight title clash in the classic Saturday night slot.
“Leapai shocked everyone in the boxing world to earn this tilt at the title and Klitschko has described him as a real life Rocky.
“They are two exciting fighters with a high number of knockouts between them and that should produce real fireworks.”

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downside, I am guessing, will be commentary from London and no pundits and interviews directly after the fight
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    British Eurosport has secured the rights to screen Wladimir Klitschko’s latest world heavyweight title defence against Australian fighter Alex Leapai in April.
    Saturday, April 26, in Oberhausen, Germany.

for Eurosport to get this fight, its great considering theres Sky Sports, BT Sports and Box Nation...

David Kerr, Managing Director of British Eurosport said, “It’s fantastic to be broadcasting this high profile world heavyweight title clash in the classic Saturday night slot.
    “Leapai shocked everyone in the boxing world to earn this tilt at the title and Klitschko has described him as a real life Rocky.
    “They are two exciting fighters with a high number of knockouts between them and that should produce real fireworks.”

Sky and Boxnation weren't interested as Klitschko is a boring fighter.
    The deal with ESPN-UK expired and they are now 'owned' by BT, who weren't interested.
    So it fell to Eurosport quite easily, who paid not much for the rights by all accounts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Downside, I am guessing, will be commentary from London and no pundits and interviews directly after the fight

Hopefully for this they will have a studio and guests like they do for some Superbike coverage. Please get a decent commentator not Holdsworth or Gas head Caple
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully for this they will have a studio and guests like they do for some Superbike coverage. Please get a decent commentator not Holdsworth or Gas head Caple

they could use Dave Farrar if he still works for eurosport...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they could use Dave Farrar if he still works for eurosport...

Or John Rawling as Boxnation don't have anything on that weekend and frankly, he is the best there is.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intriguing that Boxnation hasn't picked this up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Or John Rawling as Boxnation don't have anything on that weekend and frankly, he is the best there is.

Rawlings is superb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Intriguing that Boxnation hasn't picked this up.

They weren't interested. The previous fights were a borefest and they weren't prepared to pay what was being asked for what will no doubt be another borefest.
    Its only on Eurosport because they got it on the cheap as no one was interested.
    Rawlings is superb

Indeed he is. His commentary on some of the ITV fights was stunning and then moved to Boxnation when ITV closed up shop again, he has been just as superb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Webster will host the British Eurosport’s live studio coverage from 9.30pm on British Eurosport 2, previewing the fight with special guests Tyson Fury and Steve Collins.
    so there you go, its great Eurosport are giving this full treatment!!!!
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They weren't interested. The previous fights were a borefest.

Borefest or not it's still very surprising to see a boxing channel having no interest in a world heavyweight boxing contest!
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Farrar is in Oberhausen for the fiight, so maybe he's doing on-site commentary of it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    Borefest or not it's still very surprising to see a boxing channel having no interest in a world heavyweight boxing contest!

I can see their POV though.
    His last fights have been depressing and at times, a sham. So it doesn't surprise me that Boxnation simply didn't show an interest as its them that gets the flack for it from mindless subscribers that think its the channel that decides how a fight goes.
    So im guessing they simply didn't want that aswell as a possibly boring fight.
    Dave Farrar is in Oberhausen for the fiight, so maybe he's doing on-site commentary of it?

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.
    He doesn't work for 5Live though does he?
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that Russian TV isn't broadcasting the fight. Any chance this is down to his brother's activities in the Ukraine?
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member

I think Dave Farrar commentates on most Klitschko fights for a world feed.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Dave Farrar commentates on most Klitschko fights for a world feed.

Ah, fair enough.

I see during the World Snooker Championships they've been heavily promoting the fight, with 'Coming Up' banners (with a photograph of Klitschko) and the commentators getting in any reference to it as they can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the main reason most stations don't want to show this fight is because it is a ridiculous one sided, mismatch.

The bookies have Wlad as such a huge favourite and Lepai has fought nobody of any note. Klitschko should beat him very comfortably
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've heard that Russian TV isn't broadcasting the fight. Any chance this is down to his brother's activities in the Ukraine?

Bingo...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main reason most stations don't want to show this fight is because it is a ridiculous one sided, mismatch.

The bookies have Wlad as such a huge favourite and Lepai has fought nobody of any note. Klitschko should beat him very comfortably

should is the word, id say it will be over in 5 rounds..
    anyway when was the last time Eurosport had a presenter and pundits for something other the the tour de france..

i think they should have a presenter n use their co comms for Snooker world champs ..
  • Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyway when was the last time Eurosport had a presenter and pundits for something other the the tour de france..

They use pundits and presenters for the Davis Cup and grand slam tennis as well as the British Superbikes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicktrow wrote: »
    They use pundits and presenters for the Davis Cup and grand slam tennis as well as the British Superbikes.

yes but nothing else, and they only use presenters n pundits for GB davis cup, they dont if GB isnt playing..

i was just saying they could use some for the Snooker worlds...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes but nothing else, and they only use presenters n pundits for GB davis cup, they dont if GB isnt playing..

i was just saying they could use some for the Snooker worlds...

Which pundits though ? Surely all the main experts and pundits are in Sheffield.

Plus isn't the snooker mainly a Eurosport production and not British Eurosport ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyson Fury as a pundit, sitting there chewing gum with his mouth wide open - classy

EDIT - Cough.....senior moment....cough :D
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyson Gay as a pundit, sitting there chewing gum with his mouth wide open - classy
    Haha I didn't know the 100 metre runner knew anything about boxing :p

But yeah picking Tyson Fury as a pundit probably wasn't a wise decision could well be a car crash!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Haha I didn't know the 100 metre runner knew anything about boxing :p

But yeah picking Tyson Fury as a pundit probably wasn't a wise decision could well be a car crash!

I can't tell if he is flirting or just being his usual dick self..

And, am i the only one that thinks Charlie Webster has a weird mouth..?
  • Options
    BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calling to the ring not going so well!