Tortoiseshell cat question

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the kittens where born i couldnt describe there colour at all i said they look like mini rottweillers. They have there proper names but also nicknames due too there personality.
    Peaches is called little sh*t she gets into trouble the most
    Cracker is called Vera because she has a upside down V on her head
    The runt of the litter is called spirit her nickname is Damien as she is a little devil.
    If i want to get them to come too us for anything i shout Children and everyone comes running
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Tortie Rosie is what they called a tuxedo Tortie, she's got a white ruff, chest tummy and paws,and, she's also completely bonkers !

Apparently the more white a Tortie has on them the more their colours, orange, black, cinnamon and white is divided into blocks of colour and not merged into brindle .
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Have a dark tortie ,typical of torties she is fiery, I took her to the vet to have her nails clipped ,the nurse had to put on gauntlets :D Vet said *hmm yes a typical tortie* they dont seem to like other cats either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolly, it takes 2 of us to hold Rosie when she has her claws clipped, she's not very friendly to my other cat either, she glares at her !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Dolly, it takes 2 of us to hold Rosie when she has her claws clipped, she's not very friendly to my other cat either, she glares at her !

Awww typical tortie trait! My late cat Doll (bless her) was very fiery, you'd stroke her then she'll *have yer*:D her piccie is in my profile.:(
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tortie is all loved up with me one minute, then chasing me round the lounge, trying to "get" my ankles!!!

Sometimes when I've picked her up and I'm stroking her (and talking to her I might add!), she'll sit quite comfortably in my arms with eyes shut and purring with delight...then wham! She suddenly turns and goes for me!

I've learnt to notice the signs.......flattened ears and wide eyes.....learnt my lesson there!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tortie is all loved up with me one minute, then chasing me round the lounge, trying to "get" my ankles!!!

Sometimes when I've picked her up and I'm stroking her (and talking to her I might add!), she'll sit quite comfortably in my arms with eyes shut and purring with delight...then wham! She suddenly turns and goes for me!

I've learnt to notice the signs.......flattened ears and wide eyes.....learnt my lesson there!!

Yep just like my beloved Dolly and Maddy. My sister when she met Dolly for the first time was in the kitchen with her sister came back in and she had a scratch on her nose and it was bleeding:eek::D Sis never said a word I said to her *she's had you hasnt she*:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep just like my beloved Dolly and Maddy. My sister when she met Dolly for the first time was in the kitchen with her sister came back in and she had a scratch on her nose and it was bleeding:eek::D Sis never said a word I said to her *she's had you hasnt she*:D:D

Didnt mean to laugh .... but I did :D

Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm sure my friends think I self harm with the amount of scratches on my wrists!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Rosie does that as well Birthday Girl , purring one minute and has your hand off the next ! Here's the little monster 2 years ago !

90019a.jpg

Her "friend" Abby

Abbey3-1.jpg
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I thought I'd imagined it :)

But having heard your stories of torties, I think I'll steer clear when I get another cat :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/Toots3686/?action=view&current=Toots1.jpg&newest=1

This is my little "angel".

As if butter wouldnt melt......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birthday Girl, they all look like that til they bite you :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Birthday Girl, they all look like that til they bite you :eek:

WHY?????

All sweetness and light one minute and then SATAN cat! :)
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old girl has quite a temper too, she'll be 17 next week.

http://www.catster.com/cats/465573
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red torties are really good at lulling you into a false sense of security. One minute your clapping them and they love the attention then the next they will gladly slash your hand to bits. My tortie is also my squirter. I have a thread on it here somewhere. Does anybody elses squirt when they.re happy and excited?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red torties are really good at lulling you into a false sense of security. One minute your clapping them and they love the attention then the next they will gladly slash your hand to bits. My tortie is also my squirter. I have a thread on it here somewhere. Does anybody elses squirt when they.re happy and excited?

Whats a squirt???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    My cat does the same thing, she'll suddenly lash out when I'm clapping her:D Didn't know it was a tortoiseshell thing!

It's especially bad when she's on her back and I'm stroking her tummy, then she catches my hand between all her paws:eek: I have scratched all over my arms.

Here she is curled up with her sister.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat does the same thing, she'll suddenly lash out when I'm clapping her:D Didn't know it was a tortoiseshell thing!

It's especially bad when she's on her back and I'm stroking her tummy, then she catches my hand between all her paws:eek: I have scratched all over my arms.

You got a book for a bargain there - £3! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    You got a book for a bargain there - £3! lol

Haha, I do like my cheap books:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pics are gorgeous!

It also seems that torties can be a wee bit overweight!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yes Rosie does that as well :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pics are gorgeous!

It also seems that torties can be a wee bit overweight!:o

Toots isnt overweight!
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I think the idea that torties are fiery is sexist.;) All the torties I have known have been lovely natured cats, I have had two myself and my current one is the most timid obliging cat you could ever meet, I don't think it's any more likely than any other colour being narky.

Cats five explained it perfectly. It is very very uncommon to find a tortie male, but relatively common to find a ginger girl. My tortie's mother was ginger, my ginger boy's mother was ginger, and my mother had a ginger tabby female cat. Fairly common really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Tortie is a nervous cat, and she is very unpredictable.

She can be very loving one minute, but if you stroke her just one more time than she likes, she'll turn and hiss.

I've got a little black cat and I've treated them both the same. The latter has a more placid temperament.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    off-topic, sorry. My nan told me that most grey cats are female...
    <snip>

No truth whatsoever as the gene that turns a black cat into a grey one isn't sex linked e.g. it isn't on the sex chromosones - the X or the Y.