Sweating during the night

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
I occasionally wake up during the night absolutely soaked in sweat. I don't think it's related to the weather as it can happen during the winter, though it has been happening more and more recently.

I feel cold when I wake up, but my nightclothes and sheets are soaked and I feel very disorientated. During the day I don't get anything like this, it only happens when I'm asleep.

I'm not overweight, I don't drink or smoke. I'm a little underweight, other than that I'm healthy. I'm 23 so I don't think they're hot flushes :D lol.

Does anyone know what it might be, or if it's something to be concerned about? It's more inconvenient than anything as I can't sleep for ages after, I have to shower and change the bedsheets.

Comments

• OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    could you be wetting the bed?

I think you should probs go see a doctor... that doesn't sound normal :S
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on any medication, or suffer from any health problem at all?

My tablets make me prone to having horrible night sweats.

It's very difficult to pin down to one thing, but if it's regular, you should possibly see a doctor as it could (but is unlikely to be) a sign of a serious condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_sweats
  • fluffsta007fluffsta007 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Try using a local sauna a few hours before bed. Works for me even in hot summer weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big cause for night sweats is lymphoma.. get to the docs.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night sweats can be a symptoms of many things and you need to see a doctor and get it checked out to be on the safe side .Bettter to be cautious and careful .
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it worse before or during your period OP??

I tend to get night sweats at certain times of the month :o Although it's nowhere near as bad as you describe OP...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it worse before or during your period OP??

I tend to get night sweats at certain times of the month :o Although it's nowhere near as bad as you describe OP...

Me too although also not as bad.

Evening primrose oil has stopped it though.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too although also not as bad.

Evening primrose oil has stopped it though.

Oh excellent - I used to take Evening Primrose Oil but stopped a while ago - will pick some up :p
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    When I start sweating I know it's time to put on a thinner duvet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if I remember correctly you have anxiety issues so I assume you may be on some medication? If so, it is worth checking that out. It could be that the hot weather has made an underlying problem a lot worse. I agree with others that you need to see your GP. Hope it gets sorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, I was about to mention anxiety as a cause. I get night sweats pretty regularly and have never worried about them (I'm a bit more worried after reading this thread though!). They usually happen if I'm more anxious and they seem to come during a stressful dream. Or have you been ill, OP? I had a nasty virus last year and had night sweats most nights, it was hideous. As others have said, it might be worth a visit to your GP if you're concerned. It might be just because it's flippin' hot at the moment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thyroid problems are a big cause of night sweats, it's easily checked with a simple blood test.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should see a Doctor. It's very unusual in a 23 year old.

I suffer from night sweats every night, regardless of ambient temperature as I'm 45 and it's a common symptom of perimenopause but someone as young as you shouldn't be having them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should see a Doctor. It's very unusual in a 23 year old.

I suffer from night sweats every night, regardless of ambient temperature as I'm 45 and it's a common symptom of perimenopause but someone as young as you shouldn't be having them.

Night sweats can be caused by many underlying medical conditions, not just the menopause or hormone imbalances. So I don't think it is right to say it is unusual in a 23-year-old. As others have pointed out thyroid problems, anxiety, reactions to medication could all be contributing factors.

It may be something that it very easy to sort out.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Night sweats can be caused by many underlying medical conditions

Which is precisely why I think the OP should see a Doctor. I stand by my comment that it's unusual for someone so young to suffer from nightsweats unless there is an underlying medical problem.

It may well indeed be very easy to sort out but she's not going to know that unless she sees a Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've had this for about 20 years and I've been to the doc years ago and he's said there's nothing wrong and as I'm still alive I tend to believe him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is precisely why I think the OP should see a Doctor. I stand by my comment that it's unusual for someone so young to suffer from nightsweats unless there is an underlying medical problem.

It may well indeed be very easy to sort out but she's not going to know that unless she sees a Doctor.

It's not 'unusual'. I have night-sweats, I'm 21.

It can easily be set off by mild illness, medication, anxiety etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's not 'unusual'. I have night-sweats, I'm 21.

It can easily be set off by mild illness, medication, anxiety etc.

And when you havent smoked your green for a few days :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    And when you havent smoked your green for a few days :D

That as well.. :D
  • big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Hi summerain... before I begin I would just like to say *please* do not panic about what I'm about to say, the last thing I want to do it upset you or anyone else.
    I had night sweats, absolutely bed drenching, starting in January, along with excessive tiredness, pains in my chest, persistent itch and couldn't seem to shake off infections (I had pleurisy back in Jan too). In March I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and have been receiving treatment ever since. I am 27 and was 26 when diagnosed, female, relatively fit and healthy.
    I would urge you to see the doctor about them as the sweats is one of the key symptoms for this disease. Of course, there are plenty of other reasons why this could be happening.. anxiety, medication etc and it is important to remember this.
    Hope this helps and doesn't worry you *peace sign* best to see what the doc thinks.
    and hello everyone, first post :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    As mentioned briefly.. are you on any medication for your anxiety? I am.. and i sweat like a pig at times! :eek: