Options

Sainsburys just asked me for ID..

DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..for Lego Harry Potter o.O

Am I over reacting a bit in the thinking that asking for ID when I obviously don't look like i'm under 7 is a bit stupid?

I'm 22 and never had this problem before, anyone else had the same kind of thing happen at Sainsburys when buying games?

(I should have been carrying ID, but left my license at home as in a rush to go out)

Comments

• Options
    marc_ukmarc_uk Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    lol, no i dont think you are over reacting
    esp since it was for Lego Harry Potter
    i could see the point if it was an over
    18 game. :D:D:D

Did they sell it to you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because all the games come up on screen prompting for age check I think, well its usually on the receipt.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »
    ..for Lego Harry Potter o.O

Am I over reacting a bit in the thinking that asking for ID when I obviously don't look like i'm under 7 is a bit stupid?

I'm 22 and never had this problem before, anyone else had the same kind of thing happen at Sainsburys when buying games?

(I should have been carrying ID, but left my license at home as in a rush to go out)

I'm 22 and barely get into PG movies so I really do feel your pain. :D
  • Options
    SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i thought them id checking me for cigs last year when im 28 was bad lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N43 wrote: »
    Probably because all the games come up on screen prompting for age check I think, well its usually on the receipt.

Yeah they mentioned something like that, I just think it's taking it a bit too far for the whole age verification thing.

Marc_uk: My 60 year old dad who I was with went and got it for me xD lol. He was stood next to me at the time and even though he offered to pay they still wouldn't.

He went out, went back in and went to a different cashier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I'm all for age verification and shops really do need to do this more, especially when adults are obviously buying games for kids.

However age-checking a 20+ year old, for a 7 rated game is excessive. The only reason I can think of is that the cashier misread the age as 17, and thought the OP was a young looking 22 ;)
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Lego Harry Potter.............................Really?
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsbury's have a policy of over 25 for certain goods, so even if you look over 18, staff are obliged to ask for ID.

This happened when I was in Sainsburys at the weekend when a 27 year old customer was asked for ID for alcohol, but looked in his early twenties.
  • Options
    jamesdeanukjamesdeanuk Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably thought you were too old to be buying it.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Maybe they were ****ing with you for buying a lame kiddies game? :D
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its about time they cracked down on age restrictions but where is the common sense. I'm all for an American system of id'ing everyone for alcohol and cigs etc. Cuts out a lot of underage drinkers in pubs etc but to do it for a game with a 7+ rating is just plain silly.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do the supermarkets find these morons?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »

I know they really should close the doors to stop them coming in and buying things
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    Well its about time they cracked down on age restrictions but where is the common sense. I'm all for an American system of id'ing everyone for alcohol and cigs etc. Cuts out a lot of underage drinkers in pubs etc but to do it for a game with a 7+ rating is just plain silly.

I agree with everything here, pretty much my own thoughts as i'm all for Id'ing in circumstances that require it.

Aspartame:
    As for them maybe mistaking it for a 17 and not a 7 then that isn't the case, I made the point of showing her the rating on the box whilst at the checkout.

Also what's wrong with Lego Harry Potter, it's a good fun game :D (I knew i'd get slated for posting it lol)
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member

Your average checkout monkey doesn't want to make more hassle for themselves - much more likely some manager has decreed that EVERYONE must prove age regardless of common sense and the staff just want to keep their jobs.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »

Why? Now that we've finally got rid of Brown and the Labour filth, we don't live in a police state. Not that we ever have. They just wanted you to think we did.

All those years of Labour education you endured, and look what it's done to your perception of the country you live in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I was 16 games didn't used to have age certificates on them. I went to buy this game that had 15+ written on the box but the dumb cashier didn't realise it was just a recommendation for the difficulty not the age you needed to be to buy it. It was like being 8 and not being allowed to buy a jigsaw that says 10+ up. I told the woman also explaining that even if it was age verification I was 16 but you know what these people are like once they get their nose up. I think I just got my slightly older looking friend to buy it in the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I get ID'd all the time. I got ID'd in Argos when buying Red Dead - and I'm 24. Damn these boyish good looks...

The worst time was in Sainsbury's last year when I was buying a PlasyStation magazine and I got ID'd. It said 15 on the front for crying out loud!
    Why? Now that we've finally got rid of Brown and the Labour filth, we don't live in a police state. Not that we ever have. They just wanted you to think we did.

All those years of Labour education you endured, and look what it's done to your perception of the country you live in.

Well, isn't someone angry. I have my ID - provisional license - in my wallet all the time as I know I'll need it to buy certain things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I got ID checked for buying a set of knives and forks, and yet one of my friends wasn't checked for a very sharp kitchen knife, a box of matches and some other stuff, we were using self service and I had no ID on me, luckily the person there knew me so I didn't have a problem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah, I also got ID'd buying a tin opener not so long ago.

Who knows what damage I could be plotting with a pound land tin opener.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got ID'd for sonic the hedgehog Mega Collection in ASDA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they really should close the doors to stop them coming in and buying things

:D

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahahaha i would never show my face again, ID for a lego harry potter game, that is ridiculas.

Glad it weren't me i would have give a right mouthful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like their POS system had the game incorrectly flagged as being age restricted, and the training the checkout staff get most likely rams home that if the till says to check for id they MUST do it, no matter what (probably to avoid a situation where they get talked into skipping the age check on something that is age restricted but it isn't obvious)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Ouch :(. My nephew is 15 and wanted to buy a aged 15 game. Fair enough they turned him down because he had no id but they asked if he had a driving licence to prove his age!

Seriously, they are so stupid and take it OTT!