False advertising by Sky for Fringe and House

Why are Sky advertising the new seasons of Fringe and House saying that they are airing days after the US when in fact both shows are being shown on Sky 1 nearly a fortnight after they have been shown in the US.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Why are Sky advertising the new seasons of Fringe and House saying that they are airing days after the US when in fact both shows are being shown on Sky 1 nearly a fortnight after they have been shown in the US.

surely they could argue that they've done nothing wrong in saying "days" its a pretty open ended term, could mean anything
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well both are being shows days after the US, could be one day or 100 days, its still days :)
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I understand what you are saying about Sky not stating how many days but most people will assume it's only a few days after the US showing.Maybe it's just me being petty about it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    After a few weeks they probably will only be a few days behind the US broadcast, because if Sky are delaying them for a fortnight it's probably so that they can run it uninterrupted until Christmas whereas Fox will no doubt be taking a few breaks before then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Good grief! I can't believe this thread exists! complaining that we are TWO WEEKS behind the USA! Wow, it used to be a YEAR we were behind the states in shows, so 2 weeks is FINE by me!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand what you are saying about Sky not stating how many days but most people will assume it's only a few days after the US showing.Maybe it's just me being petty about it!

A fortnight is only a few days :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    After a few weeks they probably will only be a few days behind the US broadcast, because if Sky are delaying them for a fortnight it's probably so that they can run it uninterrupted until Christmas whereas Fox will no doubt be taking a few breaks before then.

American TV always has special programming over the Thanksgiving period so that's at least on break
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry if people disagree but a fortnight to me is not a a few days.A few days to me means 2 or 3 days maybe 5 days at most but not a fortnight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry if people disagree but a fortnight to me is not a a few days.A few days to me means 2 or 3 days maybe 5 days at most but not a fortnight

If you're that annoyed about it being a fortnight instead of 2-3 days, just watch at US Pace. If that is not an option, then just wait the fortnight.

European broadcasters have defintely come a long way the last few years and most shows now air relatively close to US broadcasts. Even nations that traditionally dub their shows into their local language are airing shows a few weeks after US transmission.

If Sky or any other broadcaster aired shows a day or two after the US broadcast, no doubt most would then complain about the US transmission patterns with their frequent breaks / pauses which actually allow production to get ahead.

The ideal thing would be simulcasting, or time differences not allowing, airing the next night after US broadcast (less than 24 jhours after) but that would make shows much more expensive to acquire and we would then complain about there not being "enough" new shows on air with broadcasters having to turn to reruns in primetime in order to be able to afford a few shows for transmission after US broadcast.

I just say, you wanna watch as close to US broadcast - then download or move to the US. That not being possible then just accept the alternative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    American TV always has special programming over the Thanksgiving period so that's at least on break

And then most shows go on hiatus for most of Decemeber and early january with USTV schedules being filled with reruns and "holiday" specials due to a massive decline in TV watching during the month of December especially at Xmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »

If Sky or any other broadcaster aired shows a day or two after the US broadcast, no doubt most would then complain about the US transmission patterns with their frequent breaks / pauses which actually allow production to get ahead.

Many a thread during the the recent run of Lie To Me asking why SKY+ hadn't recorded the repeat or did SKY screw up the scheduling not being aware the US were taking a break or the show was pre-empted.
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The op does not seem to be complaining about how long it will be, more the wording used in the advertising.....?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I agree, saying Days implies that it is less than a week IMO.

Luckily I rarely see adverts nowadays to notice this crap but this did stick out when the kids were watching Simpsons.

Who watches house on Sky anyway? With the squeeky voices, terrible opening music and adverts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather the series start a couple of weeks after the Us and then run uninterupted. i hate having odd weeks without my shows
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesnt matter what it implies,technically they are correct,it airs about 14 DAYS after US airing

also...does it really matter?
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    I think Sky did intend to run them close to the US airing, but have now had a change of heart (probably thanks to all the muppets who whinge about showing repeats mid-season) and are now delaying it till the new year to minimise such complaints. They can't win either way - somebody somewhere will complain no matter how they handle it.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    I think Sky did intend to run them close to the US airing, but have now had a change of heart (probably thanks to all the muppets who whinge about showing repeats mid-season) and are now delaying it till the new year to minimise such complaints. They can't win either way - somebody somewhere will complain no matter how they handle it.

Regards

Mark

No they're not, it's on next week...
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh its not being held back till january

also those "muppets" as you put it have a point,its much better to watch 22 uninterupted episodes week after week than wait 6-7 weeks for a new episode,ruins the flow

tv landscape has changed forever now though i think and uk will keep trying to close the gap between uk and us pace so i watch most shows US pace now
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement with Motthus.

I said exactly the same thing when the advert for Fringe came on..."Just days after the US"

'Days' implies, like they are implying, that it's 2 to 4 ish 'days' after the US, not a fortnight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    doesnt matter what it implies,technically they are correct,it airs about 14 DAYS after US airing

also...does it really matter?

Thats not technically correct though otherwise you could take it to some extreme like 100 days, saying days only works up to a week, after that you would use weeks etc, its a silly discussion though, its a false claim but nothing worth moaning about.

I would like to see the end of mid season breaks but thats up to the americans, im sure they could change it if they wanted, it would be better.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that Sky want these two things:

1) They want viewers to know that these two shows will generally be airing a few days after the US broadcast date.

2) They want to get this message out before the latest seasons air.

So, they've elected to be a bit misleading, in the hope that the general message will outweigh the brief falsity. I'm OK with that.
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a good idea what sky are doing anyway, if they had it 'days' after the US then there would be at least 2 breaks, but delaying it 2 weeks they can show the episodes in one long block from October - December, they usually do the same next year from March - May.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tardis_cub wrote: »
    Good grief! I can't believe this thread exists! complaining that we are TWO WEEKS behind the USA! Wow, it used to be a YEAR we were behind the states in shows, so 2 weeks is FINE by me!
    I'd prefer it if it was a year or two behind. That way you have a much better chance of knowing if something is going to be cancelled or not so you don't waste your time watching something with no proper ending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    I'd prefer it if it was a year or two behind. That way you have a much better chance of knowing if something is going to be cancelled or not so you don't waste your time watching something with no proper ending.

You can always wait a year or two before watching, no ones stopping you. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember this is the CULT forum ! ;)