New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Routh really surprised me too. Didnt enjoy the film that much but he was really good as the man of steel,

Yes, I thought Routh was OK. The film itself was mediocre. Kate Bosworth as Lois was poor. Not feisty enough, though you might argue the part wasn't written that way. Erica Durance from Smallville is way better.

I'd like to see a new film well done though.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A man flying, shooting laser beams out of his eyes, turning back time etc...etc.. people are OK with that, but have him wear a pair of glasses as a disguise and suddenly it unbelievable?!
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    A man flying, shooting laser beams out of his eyes, turning back time etc...etc.. people are OK with that, but have him wear a pair of glasses as a disguise and suddenly it unbelievable?!

Damn straight :p
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

I always hated the turning back time thing , it's the one thing he could never do in the comics .
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well - it seems they really have pulled the stops out on this. calling the big shots of all comic-book movies to pull their heads together.

Still, i dont think they can make this ship sail at all. Superman Returns may of had some bad decisions and elements about it - but i though it was okay and i enjoyed it. But it got poor boxoffice reception for a reason (well, poorer then they wanted)
    I just think modern audiences dont want Superman movies anymore.

I may be talking out of my arse again...but I don't think this movie will be the success they believe its going to be.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I always hated the turning back time thing , it's the one thing he could never do in the comics .

Especially when it looked like someone just put the video tape on reverse playback. ANyway, the whole time thing was him defying his old man with the "do not interfere in the Earth's affairs" stuff. Exposition innit.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the comics at the time, Superman could go back in time by flying round and round the Earth. I think the film-makers couldn't work out how to show this, so came up with the spectacle of the entire planet going into reverse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    With the series Smallville ending this year, I say cast Tom Welling and Erica Durance as Clark and Lois, keep the chemistry those two have. Tom deserves to play Superman having spent 10 years playing Clark.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to this!!

Not to crazy on Zod being the main villian, he has been done to death IMO!! would of preferred a Doomsday story, although that has been done to death too..

TBH I would of preferred a Justice league movie.

I loved Superman returns on my first watch in the cinema, but when I watched it at home, I was largely disappointed. Not enough action, and just seemed to lack the Superman (richard Donner) magic.

maybe, and I hope I'm wrong, but maybe Superman has had it day on the big screen.

I would prefer a Smallville/movie crossover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was watching Kill Bill the other day and actually forgot the Superman monologue.

For those of you that haven't seen it, it basically talks about the differences between other superheroes and Superman. The fact that most superheroes are normal human beings that pull on a costume to become "super", and had some event that turned them super. Whereas Superman was born as he is. His costume with S is his normal clothing, whereas Clark Kent is actually his clothing. He IS Superman. Clark Kent is the mask, and his take on how he thinks human beings are.

Now, im no script writer or director but this alone surely leaves a lot of excellent possibilities for writing an engaging and intruiging plot, no? It reverses nearly the entire standard for how superheroes are, and are written. Really the possibilities should be huge for a character driven plot , instead of setting it up to have Superman battle some faceless villian for 2 hours.

PS: Im not saying I want Superman to be dark, but if the writers did choose to go that direction, wasn't his family and entire planet destroyed? Pretty easy to have an emo Superman right there ;)
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

I didn't mind it until Lois mentions the earthquake? :confused:

Surely there wouldn't have been an earthquake.
    Forum Member
    With the series Smallville ending this year, I say cast Tom Welling and Erica Durance as Clark and Lois, keep the chemistry those two have. Tom deserves to play Superman having spent 10 years playing Clark.

I'm not sure about Tom and Erica in movies, but I'd like them to do a series of TV movies called Metropolis based on Clark as Superman. Also have Michael McKean as Perry White.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Here is some more Superman rumours from Dark Horizons website:

"Director Zac Snyder tells Empire Magazine his approach to the film will be respectful to the canon but will break from it and give a new approach not seen on-screen before. Essentially it sounds like the film will NOT be done in a Richard Donner-inspired mold like "Superman Returns" was.

Snyder also dismissed talk of General Zod as the villain, saying "Just wrong! The internet has no idea what's going on."

Speaking of nonsense internet, many rubbish casting rumors have begun flying thick and fast. "True Blood" werewolf hunk Joe Manganiello tweeted over the weekend that "as of today, I am not "negotiating" to play Superman ...but keep your fingers crossed" in response to rumours of him being in talks.

Another silly casting rumor? John Cena and Dwayne Johnson for the role says The Examiner."
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Superman 2 is one of the best comic book movies ever.

The trouble with superman is that he dosnt really have any good villians compared to say spiderman/batman who both have loads..if they are going to make another movie the villian has to be Brainiac
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    I think Superman 2 is one of the best comic book movies ever.

The trouble with superman is that he dosnt really have any good villians compared to say spiderman/batman who both have loads..if they are going to make another movie the villian has to be Brainiac

Your right about the number of enemies he can possiably face-off against. I also like the idea of Brainiac being his main adversary. They can then make refrences to future events too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Sand-Creature villain from the early 70's could be a good villain , he basically absorbs Supe's powers and acts as a reflection of him , dramatically it also works because as Supes loses his powers and fails at rescues the public turn against him .
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    DemonDan wrote: »
    The problem I have with Superman is that he's basically just too good a superhero. I mean, Batman isn't actually a superhero, he's just an already man in a costume. He has no super powers. Superman, on the other hand, has so many powers that I just find it hard to warm to him. He can fly, has the strength of a thousand men, x-ray vision etc... It's difficult to have a compelling 'villain' to go against him as Superman can wipe the floor easily with everyone. The only thing they can do is to give Superman a 'super' enemy, but I don't really want to see one alien fighting another one on the streets of New York. Superman is just too good, that's his problem.

Your point is very valid and it was a main theme of Superman the Movie. All those powers and he couldn't prevent the death of the one he loved.

Superman is too good, unless you fling some kryptonite his way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    If this is getting the Nolan/Goyer treatment in the way of script and production I'd like to see a more grounded film in the same vein as the recent Batman films. I'm aware that's difficult when you're dealing with Superman but drama can be introduced through realism and although he's discounted it I think John Hamm would be fantastic as a more falilble Kal-el.

I don't hold my breath with Snyder in the driving seat but I don't doubt that it'll still be enjoyable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fat_bob wrote: »
    If this is getting the Nolan/Goyer treatment in the way of script and production I'd like to see a more grounded film in the same vein as the recent Batman films. I'm aware that's difficult when you're dealing with Superman but drama can be introduced through realism and although he's discounted it I think John Hamm would be fantastic as a more falilble Kal-el.

I don't hold my breath with Snyder in the driving seat but I don't doubt that it'll still be enjoyable.

I think they should have both the dramatic realism and fantastical stuff , especially now they can do the FX , let's see wome alien planet with weird creatures etc.
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's talk casting!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Superman-Casting-Carousel-Starts-Spinning-109210759.html
    Not since we all took to our bunkers to weather the Spider-Man casting have American moviegoers been faced with such a hand-wringing crisis. But fear not, director Zack Snyder and his posse are on the hunt for a new Man of Steel.
    Warner Bros. is said to be looking for an un- or lesser known actor, between the ages of 28 and 32, with an eye towards starting production on "Superman: Man of Steel" in June 2011.
    Among the names that have already been floating about are Armie Hammer, who portrayed the Winklevoss twins in "The Social Network," Joe Manganiello or "True Blood," and Ian Somerhalder of The Vampire Diaries. But each of those guys has certain issues with regards to the above criteria.
    We're gonna try not to get to involved in this (good luck, we know...), cuz we have faith that Christopher Nolan won't let them screw the pooch.
    "Superman: Man of Steel" wil be here Dec. 2012.

So some of the popular choices are:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2309517/ - Armie Hammer
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0542133/ - Joe Manganiello
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0358316/ - Jon Hamm (Fan favourite but maybe too old?)

I'm not sold on anyone. I liked Routh but I'm not sure whether the blandness of that film has anything to do with his performance or whether it was a writing issue. I like the guy but I can see why they wouldn't want him again. They'll want to move away from Superman Returns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blandness of the film was definetley not down to Routh, i personally thought he did a stellar job despite the weak script.

The only one of them I like is the last one John Hamm, not sure if he is to old for the part though? I would happily have routh as Superman again though.. I dont think the other 2 have a cat in hells chance of playing Supes.

My personal favourite would be tom Welling, now I know its never going to happen, but he would be my choice by a country mile!!!
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd love to see John Hamm in the role. Ok he's nearly 40, but so what? Even as a kid I always percieved Superman and Lois as being around my parents age at the time. And now I am nearly 40, I'd like to see Superman around that age. Reeve and Kidder were obviously not close to 40 at the time, but they came across as older and mature, unlike the woeful miscasting of Kate Bosworth. Her and Routh just seemed too young.

I know this is just my fanciful wish, and probably not as marketable as having a younger actor in the role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Personally I'd love to see John Hamm in the role. Ok he's nearly 40, but so what? Even as a kid I always percieved Superman and Lois as being around my parents age at the time. And now I am nearly 40, I'd like to see Superman around that age. Reeve and Kidder were obviously not close to 40 at the time, but they came across as older and mature, unlike the woeful miscasting of Kate Bosworth. Her and Routh just seemed too young.

I know this is just my fanciful wish, and probably not as marketable as having a younger actor in the role.

How old was Reeves in superman IV?
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Them not wanting routh back clearly shows they weren`t impressed with his performance. Personally i thought he was great and it would be a massive mistake casting someone else. who`s to say they`ll do any better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I really don't get all the support for Routh. Sure, he looked the part, but he was a charisma free zone. He was passable, but i certainly wouldn't be bothered if he didn't come back.

I'd imagine that the reason why they don't want him back is because most people would see the trailer for the new one and assume that it's a sequel to Superman Returns (which it seems didn't go down too well), when the new film is going an a new direction. With a new actor they get to start completely from scratch and build a new audience as well as get all the fanboys back (protest all you want, but you know you'll be there on opening weekend, regardless of who is playing Clark Kent).

If they want a more mature CK then i'd definitely vote for Jon Hamm, he looks like CK did in the older comics and having watched Mad Men he's a brilliant actor.