Job agencies

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
Forum Member
I joined one a month ago, not heard anything
I went to their office at short notice
Do they send you replies or keep them until you meet?
Do companies offer you work direct?
When do Christmas jobs end?

Comments

• dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Some agencies are very rude and don't even bother getting back to you. I'm signed up with many.. Adecco, Select, Office Angels, Reed and I'm lucky to get 1 phonecall every month. You have to keep bugging them - phone, email and visit them as much as possible so that they end up remembering you.

Some companies will offer you work direct. You can ask many of them for a work trial where you work for them for a short period, usually a week and if they like you they may offer you a full time job. You won't get paid for it but its something to add to your CV even if you are not offered anything and at least you will have gained some skills in that area of work.

Christmas jobs usually end shortly after new year although many can turn into part time or full time jobs.

Good luck with the job search. I am in the same position. :)
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Windy64 wrote: »
    I joined one a month ago, not heard anything
    I went to their office at short notice
    Do they send you replies or keep them until you meet?
    Do companies offer you work direct?
    When do Christmas jobs end?

What kind of work were you after?

If you were after seasonal or casual unskilled work then you need to be registering all over and being persistant. Flexibilty is the key.

If it was for a specific sector then call them and make sure they have your CV on file and ask them about current vacancies.

Agencies tend to operate one of two ways (and many will offer both temp and perm opportunities. If they are looking to fill perm jobs they effectively operate an introduction service. They may help draft your CV or put it into a standard template and then canvass it out to prospective employers or vacancies. As a bare minimum they will expect to see proof of ID and right to work- many will expect to take up refs etc or even conduct aptitude tests.

The agency should set up interviews for you. If the employer likes you they will confirm details with the agency and then commence their own paperwork for employment and the agency will invoice an agreed fee and wish you well.

A temping agency should conduct some screening- this may be over the phone but many temp roles especially in public sector and always in health and social care will need a full interview and paperwork completed- eg health quaestionaire, CRB checks refs etc. You should always be issued with a contract- either an employment contract if you are going to be doing set hours or a contract for services if the work is casual or ad hoc.

The agency will then try to find temp placements for you. You submit timesheets and are paid via the agency who will hold your P60 if they are your main employer. This can give you a lot of flexibilty but work can be sporadic and last minute. You will get paid hols but not sickness.

Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    You have to keep calling them and ask for an update.

I was in recruitment for a very short amount of time years ago. Remember they have loads of people call up and register with them on a daily basis. If you don't keep calling and refresh them who you are you will be lost at the bottom of a pile of names.

Be persistant and ask them what the market is like and ask if their are any new jobs etc..

Good Luck..
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agencies are a waste of time.

they advertise many phantom vacancies to get you to register then you hear nothing back from them. Agencies are the worst out there. especially when they advertise a job through the jobcentre then when you contact them only be told the job has gone yet the advert was only put on less than a hour before but they still kep the advery live for many weeks.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend has nothing but good things to say about the agencies he signed up with. When he was made redundant he signed up to a few and they all contacted him immediately, some didn't have anything for him but at least 2 got him interviews, one of which he got the job for. They were excellent in helping him negotiate a higher salary afterwards and have been in touch right up to him starting work.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I got my job through an agency - albeit 7 years ago. I'm still there now and my employers still use agencies to hire temps, most of which end up getting a permanent role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to keep ringing them