Thor

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
I'm really looking forward to starting my superhero summer with watching Thor but I can't find out when it is released in the UK.

Empire website states that Thor is released on the 29th April but other websites say it's the 6th May.Does anyone know what date is the correct release date?

Comments

• RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    27th April according to IMDB.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Thanks I just checked that now and it does say the 27th April which is a Wednesday.I also saw some official posters on moviehole website that had the date of the 6th May on them.I'm still hoping it's released the end of April
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this film! I've never read any of the comics but the trailer makes the film look amazing! It seems like there's so much in it and it's all pretty random and it looks really funny too.

Also, I can't believe Kim from Home and Away is playing Thor :eek:. That's also pretty random in itself!
    Forum Member
    Under 2 months till Thor is released
    Forum Member
    Just reading on Moviehole website that Thor is released in Australia first on 21st April.So it could be true about the 29th April as a release date for the UK
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also looking forward to this.

It's also in 3D which I didn't realise.

If it's anywhere near as good as the first Iron Man film, Marvel will be onto a winner.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I saw Thor was in 3D which I hope is good 3D rather than poor efforts of 3D of films like Clash Of The Titans.Also I think this is the first Marvel film to be in 3D!
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know much about Marvel superheros beyond the more famous ones like Spiderman et al. Is Thor meant to be the actual Norse god or is he a super human?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I don't know much about Marvel superheros beyond the more famous ones like Spiderman et al. Is Thor meant to be the actual Norse god or is he a super human?

Here is some details about the character and his history

I was never really a fan of Thor, so not really taken much notice of the character as a whole. But I will be watching the film, but not expecting much.

Are they doing a film for all the individual Avengers or are Thor and Captain America the last ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A god.

There is a little controversy about some of the casting regarding colour. I don't mind casting against type but I do feel very strongly that
    Thor should be a natural GINGER! Ha! Bet you thought I was going to say something else! *grin*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they doing a film for all the individual Avengers or are Thor and Captain America the last ones?

I got the impression they were not going to do another Hulk movie, he's just going to be in the Avengers movie. Could be wrong though.
    Forum Member
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    I got the impression they were not going to do another Hulk movie, he's just going to be in the Avengers movie. Could be wrong though.

But they have already done the Hulks individual film, what about Hank Pym and Wasp? Are these going to be dismissed? I suppose with the changes with line-up throughout the years they can get away with removing characters and adding other characters if they wish.

I heard Hawkeye was going to be in the Avengers film, so is he not getting an individual film - or is he too small a character?

As I said I have never found Thor that interesting, but looks like he is going to be a bigger character in the Avengers film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said I have never found Thor that interesting, but looks like he is going to be a bigger character in the Avengers film.

To be fair he's an A-Lister and a founding member.

I would have liked them to include Hank, as long as they didn't make him the nasty piece of work they did in The Ultimates.
    Forum Member
    To be fair he's an A-Lister and a founding member.

I would have liked them to include Hank, as long as they didn't make him the nasty piece of work they did in The Ultimates.

I know he is a founding member, I just mean in the avenger film he is going to be a foreground character (which is going to be hard with Iron Man, Captain America and Bruce Banner all there too) but the ones without their own films will be the background members with less screen time. So I wonder who else is getting their own movie.

As for founding members Ant-man and Wasp were founding members too but they seem to have been disregarded all together, which I think is a shame. At least have them as background heroes.
    Forum Member
    Just to clear a few things up.Thor is released first followed by Captain America later in the summer then the next Marvel film is The Avengers which is released next summer.Both Thor and Captain America will build up towards The Avengers story wise as I believe we will get the usual extra scenes after the credits like in Iron Man 1 and 2!

There are no plans for another Hulk film but he is part of The Avengers film as Mark Ruffalo has
    been cast as Bruce Banner.Also Jeremy Renner has been cast as Hawkeye in The Avengers film but there are no plans for him to feature in his own film at the moment!

Also Iron Man 3 is planned for release in 2013 but the rumour at the moment is that it will have no links to the The Avengers film unlike the previous Iron Man films!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Just to clear a few things up.Thor is released first followed by Captain America later in the summer then the next Marvel film is The Avengers which is released next summer.Both Thor and Captain America will build up towards The Avengers story wise as I believe we will get the usual extra scenes after the credits like in Iron Man 1 and 2!

There are no plans for another Hulk film but he is part of The Avengers film as Mark Ruffalo has
    been cast as Bruce Banner.Also Jeremy Renner has been cast as Hawkeye in The Avengers film but there are no plans for him to feature in his own film at the moment!

Also Iron Man 3 is planned for release in 2013 but the rumour at the moment is that it will have no links to the The Avengers film unlike the previous Iron Man films!

You last paragraph has really shocked me.

Considering the first Iron Man film had links to The Avengers & Iron Man 2 was an unofficail 2 hour trailer for The Avengers, it seems bizarre that Marvel would make Iron Man 3 & have no links to The Avengers in it.:eek:

It'll be interesting to see how it will pan out in that case.

That aside, I am really looking forward to The Avengers.

Having all those superheroes in one film is going to be a challenge indeed.

I'm dying to know the villain lineup too.
    Forum Member
    My comment about Iron Man 3 comes from this article on Dark Horizons website about Shane Black directing Iron Man 3 and it stating this about the plans for it:

"Black responded that he's scheduled to meet with Downey Jr. later this week and the actor will be contributing to the story. Black will be writing the script as well as directing he confirmed.

It seems that Marvel has acknowledged the issues with the previous sequel, namely the forced in "The Avengers" tie-ins and over the top robotics. So, the company plans on returning to more grounded, self-contained singular hero stories after "The Avengers".

Black says "Iron Man 3 will not be another 'two men in iron suits fighting each other' film. Instead, it will be more like a Tom Clancy-thriller, with Iron Man fighting real world villians."
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thor trailer just airing now in the break on C4 in Campus.

Looked kewl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    But they have already done the Hulks individual film, what about Hank Pym and Wasp? Are these going to be dismissed? I suppose with the changes with line-up throughout the years they can get away with removing characters and adding other characters if they wish.

They are getting a film, but aren't part of The Avengers film. Interestingly they are going back to the beginning with Ant-Man. It's being directed by Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim Vs the World) In fact it was because of Edgar's commitmnt on Scott Pilgrim which was delayed that Ant-Man hasn't been made yet. It's now looking like this film will be released after the Avengers possibly 2014 if it doesn't get pushed back further.

This is the IMDB page for the film > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/
    I heard Hawkeye was going to be in the Avengers film, so is he not getting an individual film - or is he too small a character?

Yes he is in The Avengers film. No news on if he will get his own film after. He is being played by Jeremy Renner. The best known film he was in is The Hurt Locker.

So far the cast is....

Chris Hemsworth ... Thor

Robert Downey Jr. ... Tony Stark / Iron Man

Scarlett Johansson ... Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow

Chris Evans ... Steve Rogers / Captain America

Jeremy Renner ... Clint Barton / Hawkeye

Cobie Smulders ... Maria Hill (rumored)

Samuel L. Jackson ... Nick Fury

Mark Ruffalo ... Bruce Banner

Stellan Skarsgård ... Professor Erik Selvig

Clark Gregg ... Agent Phil Coulson

Tom Hiddleston ... Loki

Lou Ferrigno ... The Incredible Hulk (voice)

You may notice that Edward Norton is gone as Bruce Banner/The Hulk.

I'm not so sure. I think he will get quite a small part and it will mainly focus around Captain America and Iron Man. The only real thing in his favour is the fact Loki is in the film.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is some details about the character and his history

I was never really a fan of Thor, so not really taken much notice of the character as a whole. But I will be watching the film, but not expecting much.

Theres going to be a Nick Fury film as well i noticed on Samuel L jacksons imdb page...hopefully it will be alot better than the David Hasselhoff one
    Forum Member
    I think it will depend on the success of The Avengers film before the studio green light an Nick Fury film!

It's good to see the Thor trailer on tv as it means that we are getting close to it being released.According to the trailers there are preview screenings on Easter Monday (25th April)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    This is just a fan thing now, isn't it? Can't see it having much appeal to the casuals. It does look pretty generic and slightly desperate.

Thor emergency production meeting:

Producer A: Christ! This here Thor is turning out to be a right old steamer! What can we do?!
    Producer B: Dunno. Some giant robot thing with lazer eyes and stuff?
    Producer C: Brilliant! Trebles all round!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just a fan thing now, isn't it? Can't see it having much appeal to the casuals. It does look pretty generic and slightly desperate.

Thor emergency production meeting:

Producer A: Christ! This here Thor is turning out to be a right old steamer! What can we do?!
    Producer B: Dunno. Some giant robot thing with lazer eyes and stuff?
    Producer C: Brilliant! Trebles all round!

Erm no. The Destroyer is a very old part of Thor continuity and first appeared back in 1965, was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

Personally I think this is looking pretty cool. Not as cool as Captain America but still pretty cool. Plus it has Natalie Portman in it which is kind of a fast track onto my "Must Watch" list :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hawkeye won't be getting his own film BUT he will be in Captain America as an introduction ready for Avengers.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Erm no. The Destroyer is a very old part of Thor continuity and first appeared back in 1965, was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
    Doesn't matter. Thor looks like 'chuck money at the screen' writ large.

Then again, it might do well, or it might not. Looking at the IMDB release schedule for the US, it's got a fortnight to ring the tills before Pirates 4 lands.