Thor

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see how Thor does with the general public as he is not a massive superhero like Batman,Superman or the X Men
    Forum Member
    Not long now untill Thor is released and hopefully the start of a good summer for superhero films!

I'm planning to go to the cinema to see Thor on Easter Monday at one of the preview screenings!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found out that it will be shown at IMAX.:cool:

Even better, now I know where I'll be going to see it.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thor's premier is this Sunday 17th April in Sydney.

We'll get some reviews (if you're into that sort of thing) soon after.

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Thor does with the general public as he is not a massive superhero like Batman,Superman or the X Men

I have a similar feeling about Thor - I think this is why DC comics find it harder than Marvel to bring out superhero films, because Superman and Batman are their most prominent heroes, and people don't know other heroes as well.

And with Marvel, Thor is one of the characters that is less prominent, although I think Captain America isn't that well known either but is better known than Thor.

I hope Green Lantern doesn't fall into this trap either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a good point.

I thought the same thing about Iron Man in 2008, but that turned out to be a big success because it was such an entertaining film.

If Marvel Studios can follow the template set by Iron Man, Thor will be huge.
    Forum Member
    That's a good point.

I thought the same thing about Iron Man in 2008, but that turned out to be a big success because it was such an entertaining film.

If Marvel Studios can follow the template set by Iron Man, Thor will be huge.

But Iron Man went the X-men route. Iron Man had cartoons that push the figure into the public minds.

Has Thor had his own cartoon?
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about Thor having a cartoon but I can't see how that would affect it's box office takings!

I just worry about the god's aspect of Thor may put some of the general public off seeing it!
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iron Man was indeed a very entertaining film, I personally thought it was mainly down to Robert Downey Jr's performance and the good story. dont think it wouldnt of worked as well with Downey Jr though.
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about Thor having a cartoon but I can't see how that would affect it's box office takings!

I am just saying with X-men, Spider-man, and Iron man, they were known in the public eye from other things than comics (which only reaches a certain demographic type) so people who have no interests in comic still know about these characters, and so are likely to go an see a film about them.

With only a history in comic book form, you have reached far fewer people and can affect whether they go and see it. I spoke to a few people in work, who don't fancy the idea of Thor, and then I say that he is part of the Avengers/Ultimates with Iron Man, they become more interested because they now have something to link it to. This is how it affects the box office.
    Forum Member
    Now that does make sense especially as people I have spoken to in work seem more interested in Green Lantern than Thor just based on seeing the trailers and not on the previous knowledge of the characters
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    But a character doesn't have to have had a cartoon and massive 60's - 90's following to be successful.

Even if nobody has ever heard of Thor, if they do a good job on it and this gets good reviews to start with, then it will rocket at the Box office.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that does make sense especially as people I have spoken to in work seem more interested in Green Lantern than Thor just based on seeing the trailers and not on the previous knowledge of the characters

You sure about that? How often have you seen a trailer for Green Lantern though? Their marketing is cack! I've only seen it once in the past 3 months and it's out in a couple of months! Thor i've seen trailers for it since February, and every single time at the cinema in the past 4 weeks i'm actually getting sick of it now. Based on marketing alone, Thor will bring in the punters, not so sure Green Lantern will.
    Forum Member
    I'm just saying some of the comments from people I know.I thought the first trailer for Green Lantern looked really poor but the recent footage released online looked really good!

Anyway I'm sure we will see in the next few weeks how Thor will do at the box office.I hope its good and does well!
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Is it out this Monday with Advance screenings?
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    But a character doesn't have to have had a cartoon and massive 60's - 90's following to be successful.

Even if nobody has ever heard of Thor, if they do a good job on it and this gets good reviews to start with, then it will rocket at the Box office.

I am not saying they needed to have a cartoon. All I am saying is these characters have a better grasp on the public's conciousness and so they already have a better leg to stand on when it comes to public perception.

It was great marketing from Marvel as they really got their products into the mainstream mindset.

I think Thor will be OK, because of a few reasons, but I did worry at the beginning when I first heard about it because of its lack of public image. My sister is going to watch it for one reason - it has the block from Home and Away :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Thor will be OK, because of a few reasons, but I did worry at the beginning when I first heard about it because of its lack of public image. My sister is going to watch it for one reason - it has the block from Home and Away :D:D

He's certainly built like a block! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iron Man was indeed a very entertaining film, I personally thought it was mainly down to Robert Downey Jr's performance and the good story. dont think it wouldnt of worked as well with Downey Jr though.

I think you have a point.

RDJ was such a good leading man, that he gave the character a persona & a charisma rarely seen in superhero leading men.

Usually, the 'man' takes a backseat to the actual hero alias, but in Iron Man, the man (Tony Stark) is so charismatic that he just seemed to elevate the Iron Man character to another level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read a review from someone who went to the Sydney premier.
    He said is was fantastic and gave it 9/10.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yip, premieried in Sydney and reviews coming in online are extremely positive! Yes!

Good on you, Kenneth! Who'd have thought eh? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More positive reviews online.

I heard its being released in Australia on the 21st.
    Forum Member
    Yeah that is true as it's released in Australia first followed by the rest if the world.The Uk gets it before America though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be looking for punters reviews on youtube shortly after the 21st.

it's all looking good so far.

Thank Odin!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also got a good write-up on Empire, 4/5 stars!

Let's hope Captain America is just as good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rotten Tomatoes currently has a rating of 92% :)