Thor

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not saying they needed to have a cartoon. All I am saying is these characters have a better grasp on the public's conciousness and so they already have a better leg to stand on when it comes to public perception.

Do you think so? I mean its Thor. I knew "Thor" a long time before I knew "Marvel Thor" I suspect an awful lot of the general public have some idea about "Thor" the hammer wielding Norse god of Thunder and know nothing Marvel's universe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Den of Geeks gave it 4 out of 5

Do we mention them here? :D
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Sounds like Thor is getting some very positive reviews.I just hope it lives up to the hype when I see it on Monday!
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Sounds like Thor is getting some very positive reviews.I just hope it lives up to the hype when I see it on Monday!

You lucky dabber!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    You lucky dabber!! :)

You realise that there are preview screenings just about everywhere on Monday don't you? You could be a "lucky dabber" too:D
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    A bank holiday and preview screenings of Thor.Perfect timing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Everyone is watching it in 2D I am assuming :D:D
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm going with 2D as the three dee stuff does nothing for me except rape my wallet !!

So this is out on Monday eh ? Could be worth an opening day visit :)
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I'm going with 2D as the three dee stuff does nothing for me except rape my wallet !!

So this is out on Monday eh ? Could be worth an opening day visit :)

I am just thinking of all the Kids - this might ruin it for me.

Edit: this could also be a reason to go with 3D as the parents around here wouldn't pay the extra so it might be empty
    Forum Member
    Oooohhh bank holiday Monday, I think you're gonna get the kids regardless ...

Are kids going to really be that familiar with Thor though !! And whats the rating going to be ?? 12ish ?
    Forum Member
    Oooohhh bank holiday Monday, I think you're gonna get the kids regardless ...

Are kids going to really be that familiar with Thor though !! And whats the rating going to be ?? 12ish ?

I know but I am thinking maybe less so in 3D section as they want to save money :D *fingers crossed* anyway.

I don't think it matters much if kids are familiar with Thor, they are going to go because it is a Marvel comic hero - like Spider-man and Iron Man - that will be all they need. Plus it is likely parents who are fans will drag their kids.

It looks to be a 12a in Ireland so likely be the same here, which also means toddlers and babies crying :(

Latest showing is 8ish in 2D so I might leave it till then :)
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a plan, the later the better ....

I might actually leave it till Tuesday, I think I get a pound or two off with my Odeon card on a Tuesday/ It'll depend on how bored I am !!

Ah Thor is in no way as mainstream as Spideyman or Ironyman, the only reason I can see loads of kids / young teens there is because it has been heavily advertised.
    I just don't know if Thor is the kind of movie you'd go to if you wanted to cause trouble and be annoying ....
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a plan, the later the better ....

I might actually leave it till Tuesday, I think I get a pound or two off with my Odeon card on a Tuesday/ It'll depend on how bored I am !!

Ah Thor is in no way as mainstream as Spideyman or Ironyman, the only reason I can see loads of kids / young teens there is because it has been heavily advertised.
    I just don't know if Thor is the kind of movie you'd go to if you wanted to cause trouble and be annoying ....

I don't mean it is mainstream, I mean they will think it is going to be like Spider-man and therefore will give it ago. I mean there isn't much competition at the moment is there.

Toddlers and baby's cry, not to cause trouble just because they are restless and probably didn't want to sit for 2 hours.

As for kids, a lot of them don't class it as trouble when they talk loudly and make noise - they tend not to think how it affects other people.

Edit: Just noticed they have hawkeye in this one so I guess this will take care of needing a film for him now :)
    Forum Member
    Was this filmed in 3D or was it a conversion? If it's native 3D then i might pay the price, if it's converted then 2D it is.
    It looks to be a 12a in Ireland so likely be the same here, which also means toddlers and babies crying :(

It's a 12A in the UK too, for "moderate fantasy violence".

You can't see it on Tuesday. The special previews are Monday only, it then goes on general release on Wednesday. There wont be any showings on Tuesday:p
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Was this filmed in 3D or was it a conversion? If it's native 3D then i might pay the price, if it's converted then 2D it is.

It's a 12A in the UK too, for "moderate fantasy violence".

You can't see it on Tuesday. The special previews are Monday only, it then goes on general release on Wednesday. There wont be any showings on Tuesday:p

That is a very good question - if it wasn't filmed in 3D I would just take my chances with the later showing :) I am going to have to google it now :)

12a is the curse of my cinema experience :)

Just googled looks like it was converted but Marvel swears it will enhance the viewing experience - doubt it though :(
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Ah Thor is in no way as mainstream as Spideyman or Ironyman
    Ironyman?

Does he sit in coffee shops with a copy of The Guardian looking a bit smug? Let's hope some supervillains come along and give him the kicking he deserves. ;)

So, it looks as if Thor might be a whole lot better than the impression it's given some of us. Fair play if that's the case. The BO figures will be very interesting.

btw - Scream 4 unexpectedly bombs (ditto Your Highness). The $150m-budgeted Mars Needs Moms completely bombs. From nowhere Rise of the Planet of the Apes jumps to must-see status. Now Thor. A good year for surprises, no?
    Forum Member
    Just googled looks like it was converted but Marvel swears it will enhance the viewing experience - doubt it though :(

I think i might risk it, it's only about £2 extra afterall, and i think/hope that the studios have learned from 'Clash of the Titans'.
    Ironyman?

Does he sit in coffee shops with a copy of The Guardian looking a bit smug? Let's hope some supervillains come along and give him the kicking he deserves. ;)

Lol! Brilliant :D
    So, it looks as if Thor might be a whole lot better than the impression it's given some of us. Fair play if that's the case. The BO figures will be very interesting.

btw - Scream 4 unexpectedly bombs (ditto Your Highness). The $150m-budgeted Mars Needs Moms completely bombs. From nowhere Rise of the Planet of the Apes jumps to must-see status. Now Thor. A good year for surprises, no?

I've got a bad feeling about the US box office if i'm honest. Everything so far this year has underwhelmed, and no matter how good 'Thor' does actually look, i bet that an aspect of "superhero overkill" comes into play. I'm betting on a $30-40 million opening weekend, which i imagine will be much lower than Marvel is hoping for. I can see all of the comic book movies underperforming this year, and i doubt that the 'Green Lantern' internet hype will translate into ticket sales, i'm getting a 'Scott Pilgrim' vibe from that one. I hope i'm wrong, but this year has been pretty brutal at the box office.

Just noticed that we're getting 'Thor' over a week before the yanks too! That's a bonus, although it doesn't make up for the UK getting 'Super 8' over 2 months later...
    Forum Member

I am feeling a little guilty all the films I have watched seem to have bombed :o:o I might start getting banned by the film studios :D:D
    I think i might risk it, it's only about £2 extra afterall, and i think/hope that the studios have learned from 'Clash of the Titans'.

Only £1.50 extra for me :D, It is the Kenneth Branagh, quote about he himself being convinced that makes me think twice - although could be just saying that to get people paying the money :)

I noted on the Trivia for this film, that KB thinks of this film as a Comic/Norse twist on Henry V. Trust KB to get Shakespeare into everything :D:p
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant wait to see this! day 1...erm - definately week 1 for me :D

and 2d all the way :D avoiding as many 3D showings as I can!!!

Cineworld Edinburgh is doing previews on the Monday (25th)!!
    but I cant go then :(
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is watching it in 2D I am assuming :D:D

I shall be watching at the IMAX screen, so I'm assuming that 3D will be the only option for me.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a 3D conversion so i'll definately be watching in 2D.
    Forum Member
    Ironyman?

haha he can make it rain on peoples wedding day,
    Offer people free rides when they're already there
    Gives good advice that people just don't take

That sort of thing !!

Ah damn them ... Maybe full price on Monday it is ... Sounds like it will be worth it, it has been getting some great reviews, don't want to have high expectations going in though !
    Forum Member
    It's a 3D conversion so i'll definately be watching in 2D.

Apparently Marvel are saying it still adds to the experience though - I added an article above.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Marvel are saying it still adds to the experience though - I added an article above.

LOL, Marvel are hardly going to say it makes it worse, are they?
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    LOL, Marvel are hardly going to say it makes it worse, are they?

I know - it is the Kenneth Branagh quote, that makes me consider it worth while, but as I said previously he is probably just saying that. But I like to think KB has a bit more resolve than that and wouldn't say anything if he thought it was bad.