Missing James Bubear

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
A lad from Bath went missing on the 13th March, a few days before Sian O'Callaghan, yet it seems there has been minimal media interest and no developments in the case so far. :(

I was wondering if the good people of DS could join the FB group to help spread the message a bit further: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Find-James-Bubear/161439510577133?sk=wall
the more awareness the better chance there is of finding out what happened and hopefully some answers for his family and friends.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    A lad from Bath went missing on the 13th March, a few days before Sian O'Callaghan, yet it seems there has been minimal media interest and no developments in the case so far. :(

This is not the first missing persons case to be overlooked by the media, and it's not going to the last. :(

I hope he's found alive and well regardless. I've joined the Fcaebook group.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Thanks. :) It's sad but true, do many people go missing everyday in the UK. It's awful that some manage to gain a lot of public support, while others manage to slip under the radar.

I was reading the messages from his mother and felt so bad for her. We were so lucky in Swindon when the news broke about Sian being missing, within a day there were missing posters all over the town, thousands of people rallied round to do what they could to help - there was a march in Bath to raise awareness of James being missing, but nothing like the kind of public support that Sian's case managed to get.

I'm keeping everything crossed that there will be a positive outcome soon for James.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    I have been following this story, among others, since it broke via socialalertme.com.

It is so sad that the majority of missing men do not get nationwide media attention, as I found out when my brother went missing in January.

If it wasn't for such sites like socialalertme.com and helpfindmychild.net, and of course the power of facebook, then a LOT of these missing people wouldn't be known about and their faces wouldn't be put out there.

I really hope that James is found safe and well, and very soon.

PS. I joined the facebook group as soon as it went up :) Anything I can do to help, and I will do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly many go missing everyday.

What are the police to do, in this case they have no information or CCTV images of anything unusual. Where are they supposed to look?

If people have no information then there is little that can be done. The River Avon has been searched without success.

SoapyJo, I remember your thread well but the police did all they could with very little information. It had a sad ending but what else could have been done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a facebook member but wish to add my support really hoping that James is found safe and well.
    I will be praying for him and his family.
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Sadly many go missing everyday.

What are the police to do, in this case they have no information or CCTV images of anything unusual. Where are they supposed to look?

If people have no information then there is little that can be done. The River Avon has been searched without success.

SoapyJo, I remember your thread well but the police did all they could with very little information. It had a sad ending but what else could have been done.

I don't think this thread is about what the police can or cannot do, and no-one has said anything along those lines.
    The police did everything they could in regards to my brother's case, in fact they were brilliant, so I am not knocking the police at all, it is, however, the lack of national media attention these cases get that makes me angry.

How many missing males have you seen on national news? Off my head, I cannot think of any to be honest. Now compare that to missing females...... it certainly makes you think!

It would be great if a channel could dedicate a 30 minute, or even an hour a week slot, to showcase recent missing persons, just to get their faces out there!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be a television programme dedicated to finding missing people on once a week. Although, I don't know much about this case but I gather the media only really get involved if foul play is suspected by the police. Which more often than not involves women and children.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Bath the chances are he got drunk and fell in the river/canal, it happens every so often and they find the body months later. It's not really news there.

And let's be honest, male students aren't prime serial killer/ nutjob targets so not of much interest.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    Thanks. :) It's sad but true, do many people go missing everyday in the UK. It's awful that some manage to gain a lot of public support, while others manage to slip under the radar.

I was reading the messages from his mother and felt so bad for her. We were so lucky in Swindon when the news broke about Sian being missing, within a day there were missing posters all over the town, thousands of people rallied round to do what they could to help - there was a march in Bath to raise awareness of James being missing, but nothing like the kind of public support that Sian's case managed to get.

I'm keeping everything crossed that there will be a positive outcome soon for James.

I was a friend of Sian's, I'm starting to get some closure on it because I know I'll never see her again. I know she's not suffering, that she's not in pain and I'm finding comfort in that.

For James' family it must be a nightmare. Seeing someone else go missing, such a big investigation, which has an end result. I hope James is found soon, and has a better outcome than Siaany's did.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    It has already been said by others but women are far more likely to have been taken by some nutter than men, the national media tend to focus on these type of stories, stories involving some sort of foul play. If a man goes missing there's far more chance he's been involved in an accident/suicide and outside of the local area that is not really that newsworthy, unless there are some sort of unique/strange circumstances.

It was fairly obvious from the beginning that Sian had been taken by somebody and the fact she was young, female and attractive meant she was perfect news fodder for the national media, it's the type of story that people will understandably find very emotive.

It is sad but understandable that not all missing person stories can get the coverage Sian got, like others have said what is really needed is a dedicated program for missing people, these days the internet is a hugely powerful tool for getting stories out there and spreading the word as well.

Hopefully James is found alive as it must be such a desperate time for the family and any family involved in cases like this, must be unbearable for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be a television programme dedicated to finding missing people on once a week.

I absolutely agree with this. It is staggering the number of people who go missing in this country everyday. Because of the Sian O'Callaghan case and reading SoapyJo's posts, I recently looked up missing people local to me and I was gobsmacked at how many there are in this year alone. They are not even covered in local newspapers which instead is full of adverts. Why they can't dedicate a page to the missing is beyond me.

I really do hope James is found safe and well. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another case from Scotland.

Aidan McPherson. The 19-year-old was last seen at about 2300 GMT on 31 December in the Newmill Road area of Elgin.
    In January police divers searched the River Lossie near Elgin as part of the bid to find the teenager.

His body has just been found on the banks of the River Lossie.

Link
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Bumping up my post.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A woman who police wanted to speak to about James has come forward:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12878840

I hope this gives them some new leads to go on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »

Sadly without more information the police can do nothing else. They are doing the best they can.

Untill a body or he is found they can do no more than everyone else is doing.
    Forum Member
    Graathus wrote: »
    In Bath the chances are he got drunk and fell in the river/canal, it happens every so often and they find the body months later. It's not really news there.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it happens on a weekly if not daily occurance, especially these last few weeks it appears.
    I am somewhat an expert in this area, and the numbers really are staggering.

woodbush wrote: »
    Another case from Scotland.

Aidan McPherson. The 19-year-old was last seen at about 2300 GMT on 31 December in the Newmill Road area of Elgin.
    In January police divers searched the River Lossie near Elgin as part of the bid to find the teenager.

His body has just been found on the banks of the River Lossie.

Link

Thanks for that, it was a case I was following, originally from my waterway safety campaign, though I wasn't aware that it had been confirmed that it was him or not. I have passed the information on to the group.

sofieellis wrote: »

Unfortunately, the young woman who did come forward 2 or 3 days ago could not give the police any information that could help the police.

I am also currently following another story of a very recent case.
    A 27 year old woman, with young children from Dover, has been missing since 25th March. If anyone wants details and links please feel free to PM me!

Also I urge anyone who is interested in missing people and helping spread the word about cases, to join socialalertme.com - especially those who use facebook and twitter.
    Plus if you register, it will alert you to anyone missing within a 50 mile radius of you.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    The facebook page is reporting that a body has been found :( so sad :(
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    The facebook page is reporting that a body has been found :( so sad :(
    :(That's a shame.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Yes, nothing official yet, but the person who started the group has said it is him :(

thisisbath has reported a body has been found at sluice gates on the river Avon, by the environmental agency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Yes, nothing official yet, but the person who started the group has said it is him :(

thisisbath has reported a body has been found at sluice gates on the river Avon, by the environmental agency.

No confirmation who it is.

BBC Website
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now confirmed as James Bubear

RIP