Cat mice techniques

whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So its very natural for cats to catch mice. Even bring them to you as either a prize, or food, or as a sibling.

But what do you do with them? Carrier bag then rubbish for landfill?

Could they go in my raw food recycling!? :D

More seriously though, how do you treat your cat? its natural for them, so do you just ignore your cat to not praise it? my 1 year old has only just started bringing them in, and just plays with them on the carpet.

Comments

• bluecatbluecat Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Double bag any mouse bodies [because they will stink to high heaven as they decompose] and put them in the dustbin.

Our youngest cat hunts occasionally, but he got told off for bringing the remains into the house and he doesn't bother any more.

I know people say the cat's paying you a compliment by bringing you fresh food [yeah, thanks for that, cat :rolleyes: ] but it's one compliment I can do without!
  • FritzFritz Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    My husband feels sorry for the prey so he insists on burying it.... in the summer we have a 3 tier burial system in our back garden!

We went through a stage of ticking them off for bringing stuff in but it's just what they do - also, one of our cats is a great hunter and the other is totally and utterly useless, so on the occasions when the useless one DOES bring something in, we can't scold her because she's so excited about it... even when the thing that she has 'killed' is a leaf or a twig).

And yes, the smell of something decomposing is vile - we had a stink in the kitchen for the last few days and on Wednesday my husband decided to hoover round, part of which was to hoover the mat inside the cat flap (supposed to take the mud off their paws but they just come in and walk round it....). The hoover lifetd then end of the mat up, at which point the source of the smell was discovered - a very flat, decomposing mouse which had been deposited under the mat... gahhh!
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully it doesn't happen that often, but I try to catch and release any live ones. The last time mine had a killing spree (3 in one week), she ate the first - apart from the tail and a bit of the innards - I had to turn the TV up as I couldn't stand the sound of the crunching. :cry: The other two were laid out neatly in the hallway. Copious amounts of kitchen roll, plastic bag and in the bin.

I do grudgingly praise, but it is usually along the lines of "There's a clever girl, now take it outside!".:D

As for putting it in the food bin, unfortunately my local council requests no bones, so although I could spend time de-boning the mouse, I would rather not:eek:
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D deboning mice !

At least it isn't rabbits. Half eaten decomposing rabbits are a lot worse.
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm try waking up to a live mouse running around under your bedcovers at 3am!

One of mine is a great hunter and loves to bring them in live and play with them. If I can I'll catch them and put them out again away from the cat but usually either I can't catch them or I'm too late and she's already killed it. Once she's killed it she loses interest, although I have found various mouse parts on the floor when one of the others has occasionally caught one and eaten most of it.

As for the corpses well I just dump them back outside in the garden - let them go back to nature so to speak.
  • Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flushed down the bog.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lock the cat flap.

Imagine waking up to see a pair of bunny ears and a foot :(