If Walls Could Talk

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
Forum Member
had a search through the threads and couldn't find one for this show, which I'm surprised at. Does anyone else watch this show, I'm finding it utterly fascinating (and the presenter reminds me of Miss Babs from Acorn Antiques).:D

Comments

• OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the first episode about the Living Room better than the second about the Bathroom.

As the first episode showed, there always used to be a harpsichord in the living room pre-Victorian times, regardless of whether anyone played it or not. Then from Victorian times this became an upright piano. Whereas nowadays if like me you have a digital keyboard which can sound like any instrument in an orchestra, it is relegated to a bedroom!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm watching If walls could talk, never get much traffic on here for this sort of thing.

Lucy Worsley, chief curator of the historic royal palaces, takes us through 800 years of domestic history by exploring the British home through four rooms, meeting experts and historians on the way

Lucy's a bit overly enthusiastic at times and interrupts the other experts, but I can live with it, I like an enthusiastic presenter.
    Her attempts to get one of the experts to dance with her didn't go down to well, but she tried.

Edit part II the Bathroom is repeated at 02:50.

Amanda Vickery has made a couple of appearances too.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with the first episode, and found it fairly informative.

Will catch up with the other 2 eps later.
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    had a search through the threads and couldn't find one for this show, which I'm surprised at. Does anyone else watch this show, I'm finding it utterly fascinating (and the presenter reminds me of Miss Babs from Acorn Antiques).:D

We like it too...and yes I even looked up her name to see if she was the daughter of Celia imrie. The likeness is amazing.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was funny, Lucy the historian was a right hoot doing all sorts of things associated with water, soap and the toilet.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    I found the first episode about the Living Room better than the second about the Bathroom.

As the first episode showed, there always used to be a harpsichord in the living room pre-Victorian times, regardless of whether anyone played it or not. Then from Victorian times this became an upright piano.

Er--did they really say that? From my History lessons I was under the impression that the vast majority of the population couldn't afford a harpsichord in pre -Victorian times. This program is not about ordinary homes then? Just middle classes and above.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is cute as a button and I LOVE the way she rolls her Rs.

I find that I watch an episode and can’t remember much of it afterwards because I’m so smitten with her!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a peculiar looking women with no top lip, only the bottom half of her mouth moves, and she has an annoying voice and can't pronounce R, instead replacing it with VW. The programme is interesting but she spoils it. I switched off when she said she hadn't had a bath.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Worsley represented just about everything I dislike in programme presenters.

Talk about, "Look at me!"

The programme was also in my opinion, pitched at a level somewhere between "Blue Peter and The One Show," so after a few minutes I found it unwatchable.
    Not up to BBC4's usual standard, where documentaries aren't usually dumbed down.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just catching up on this now, and I've found the first two episodes really interesting in a background telly kind of a way. It hasn't told me a lot that I didn't already know (I'm interested in domestic history and have seen a lot of Victorian House/Edwardian House etc type programmes) but it was entertaining and had lots of things to look at. And the presenter seems quite charismatic, and looked great in her 30s makeover.
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    What a peculiar looking women with no top lip, only the bottom half of her mouth moves, and she has an annoying voice and can't pronounce R, instead replacing it with VW. The programme is interesting but she spoils it. I switched off when she said she hadn't had a bath.

Probably sucking a Polo. :)
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the putting Lucy to bed scenes. :o

...and her royalty getting dressed scene too. :cool::o

:D
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I'm just catching up on this now, and I've found the first two episodes really interesting in a background telly kind of a way. It hasn't told me a lot that I didn't already know (I'm interested in domestic history and have seen a lot of Victorian House/Edwardian House etc type programmes) but it was entertaining and had lots of things to look at. And the presenter seems quite charismatic, and looked great in her 30s makeover.

I agree she looked gorgeous made up into a 30's gal! The shows have been entertaining so far and I'll watch the bedroom one. She has got a funny way of talking and it can get a bit annoying but she can't help that I suppose! She does look just like Miss Babs:D:D It's uncanny:eek:
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I Love Lucy....;)

It's a Little Gem of a Series...:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been loving this series and I think Dr Lucy Worsley is great, just the right side of nutty - very endearing and gets the information across really well.

She looked stunning with the marcel wave in her hair for the 30s bathroom!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's great and I found the series really interesting. But she should do something about those eyebrows.
  • klytamnestraklytamnestra Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great series, and im thoroughly enjoying it! Lucy has an infectious enthusiasm.
    Forum Member
    Just watching Bedroom and the 50's bit with government pamphlets and focus on marriage.
    There was an increase in divorce right after the war, wasn't there?
    Couples who were parted for years not being the same people they were.
  • JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She reminds me of 'The Little Girl' in the comedy sketch show 'Absolutely'. She used to sit on a table and tell fantastic made-up stories that always ended with 'It IS it's TWOO!!!' :D
    Forum Member
    JoJoJay wrote: »
    She reminds me of 'The Little Girl' in the comedy sketch show 'Absolutely'. She used to sit on a table and tell fantastic made-up stories that always ended with 'It IS it's TWOO!!!' :D

The Lovely Morwenna Banks, I've still got a torch for her too.
  • JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lovely Morwenna Banks, I've still got a torch for her too.

She was SOOO funny :):):)
    Forum Member
    Hey ho, to the other 2 DS viewers of this.
    I'd have never had thought that the Turnspit dog was a serious idea that more than one person, the inventor would have used.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying the series! I think Lucy is jolly fun! :D

The doggie in the wheel was funny.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It`s a good series with a rather foxy presenter, but a complete rip-off of Bill Bryson` recent book which did the same "historical analysis of a house" routine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Worsley represented just about everything I dislike in programme presenters.

Talk about, "Look at me!"

The programme was also in my opinion, pitched at a level somewhere between "Blue Peter and The One Show," so after a few minutes I found it unwatchable.
    Not up to BBC4's usual standard, where documentaries aren't usually dumbed down.

Rubbish - Lucy Worsley is a wonderful presenter. I think you have let your dislike of her cloud your judgement.

Personally, I think she's very refreshing and fun but is clearly an academic too and knows her subject.

I'd love to see more programmes presented by her. :)