FA don't want welsh club in Premiership?

2»

Comments

• ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well it seems today's decision by the FA to delay the QPR decision and allow the play offs to go ahead has convinced my friend that the FA are out to stop Cardiff getting into the Premiership!

I thought it was Middlesbrough who dicked Cardiff in their own backyard last Monday not the FA;) Cardiff stopped themselves by not winning enough games - they can't blame anyone else.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems today's decision by the FA to delay the QPR decision and allow the play offs to go ahead has convinced my friend that the FA are out to stop Cardiff getting into the Premiership!
    How? Cardiff and Swansea are guaranteed a place in the playoffs whatever the QPR decision. Nothing the FA can do to stop them if they win. Sounds more like a case of mass hysteria in South Wales to me.

The playoffs will go ahead as scheduled, but the teams in them may change, depending on the outcome of the tribunal and any subsequent appeal.
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    IMO the only wrong thing about the Welsh clubs playing in the English Leagues is that they still come under the Welsh FA for punishments not the English FA like the rest.

More here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/05/cardiff-city-qpr-third-party-ownership
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They have only delayed until Monday surely? It's a big decision and i'm sure no-one would want them to rush into it.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here remember when Swansea were in the top division about 30 years ago ..they were brilliant for about 18 months and topped the table at one stage (i think)

I do remember welsh clubs always being in europe because of wining the welsh cup final,even though they played in the FA cup in England at the time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Does anyone here remember when Swansea were in the top division about 30 years ago ..they were brilliant for about 18 months and topped the table at one stage (i think)

I do remember welsh clubs always being in europe because of wining the welsh cup final,even though they played in the FA cup in England at the time

Yeah we were (very) briefly the greatest team on this rock! :D

I'm too young for that though as I was born in '79. A lot of the guys I work with remember it, my father in law has loads of programs and scrapbooks full of autographs and what not (not just local boys) from back then too. I also work with one of the guys who played under Toshack on our way up, the stories he told me about John Charles, meeting Bob Paisely, horror tackles (I've seen the scars :eek:) etc would make footballers today run away with fear :D

----

I've posted about this in the QPR thread. If the new delay is because of that lot up the road and their 3rd party deals then I think it's fully justified. Nothing that they do surprises me. It's amazing to think that in the space of about 40 odd miles you have two clubs that are the polar opposites of how a club should and shouldn't be run.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,590
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »

Yep, i remember them playing at Liverpool just after the death of Shankly, in what turned out to be a tense & bad tempered game.

I'd love to see a Cardiff v Swansea play off final, certainly be interesting on the policing side, it's like the Millwall v West Ham rivalry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    I don't want them in the PL. Piss off to their own league.

me neither...coming up here and stealing our sheep
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    me neither...coming up here and stealing our sheep
    West Ham fan then:rolleyes:, like it or lump it, Swansea and Cardiff have each been involved in the lower divisions for 100 odd years, you have not grizzled then, so why now.? :p
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Yep, i remember them playing at Liverpool just after the death of Shankly, in what turned out to be a tense & bad tempered game.

I'd love to see a Cardiff v Swansea play off final, certainly be interesting on the policing side, it's like the Millwall v West Ham rivalry.

1977–1986: Meteoric rise and equally rapid fall

Despite promising performances during the first half of the 1977/78 season, Harry Griffiths resigned as Swansea City's manager in February 1978, doubting his own ability to take the club any further. The new manager was former Liverpool, Cardiff City and Wales striker John Toshack. On 1 March 1978, at the age of 28, Toshack became the youngest manager in the Football League, with Griffiths as his assistant. Thus began a remarkable climb from the Fourth Division to the top of the entire league. Despite relinquishing his role as manager before the end of the season, this was Griffiths' team, and the promotion from the Fourth Division was largely his doing. During this season the Swans' record league win was achieved – 8–0 against Hartlepool United. Before promotion was secured, however, tragedy struck when Harry Griffiths died of a heart attack on 25 April 1978 before the home game against Scunthorpe United.

A further promotion was achieved next season and the club returned to the Second Division after an absence of 14 years, with Toshack himself coming off the bench to score the winning goal against Chesterfield and thus secure promotion.

After a season of consolidation, Swansea City again challenged for promotion and travelled to Preston North End on 2 May 1981 in the knowledge that victory would assure them a place in the First Division for the first time in the club's history. A 3–1 win guaranteed a third promotion in four seasons and Swansea City joined the footballing élite. The goalscorers on that historic day at Deepdale were Tommy Craig, Leighton James and Jeremy Charles. The 4 year rise from basement to top division is a record in English football, held jointly with Wimbledon F.C..[5] Ironically the Swansea decline started the same year as the Wimbledon rise.

The 1981/82 season began as implausibly as recent history had suggested it might. The fixture computer handed Swansea's upstarts a first-day home game against Leeds United, which Swansea promptly won 5–1 with a hat-trick by debutant Bob Latchford. Swansea had swept from the basement division to the top of the entire Football League in barely three years. Victories over footballing royalty such as Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur followed as the club topped the league on several further occasions. Injuries to key players took their toll, and the lack of depth in the squad meant that the season ended in sixth place finish.

However, a fateful combination of poor form, misfortune in the transfer market and financial problems led to a slump which was as quick and spectacular as the rise had been. Two consecutive relegations followed and Toshack was sacked. By 1985, the club was battling for its very survival on two fronts. Whilst its creditors lined up a High Court hearing with the aim of liquidating the club, Swansea City had come to rely on a combination of old stagers and young professionals.

Wound up by court order in December 1985, Swansea City was saved by local businessman Doug Sharpe who took over the running of the club, although the change of ownership was not enough to prevent relegation to the Fourth Division in 1986. Eight years on from the first promotion under Toshack, the club was back where it had started.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    West Ham fan then:rolleyes:, like it or lump it, Swansea and Cardiff have each been involved in the lower divisions for 100 odd years, you have not grizzled then, so why now.? :p

If anyone has a problem then by all means get a petition started and pass it to The FA, Write to your MP, the lead singer of Echo and the Bunny men etc. We were invited in and can always be uninvited.

Although this may already be too late

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/06/fa-faw-cardiff-swansea
  • TreelopperTreelopper Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    They have only delayed until Monday surely? It's a big decision and i'm sure no-one would want them to rush into it.

I trust that is a sarcastic post? They've had since last SEPTEMBER to make the decision ffs, why has it taken them so long :confused::confused:
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    QPR found guilty but no deduction

On the BBC Sport news ticker and QPR website
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    QPR found guilty but no deduction

On the BBC Sport news ticker and QPR website

Whats the point in having rules if no punishments are forthcoming if you break them. :mad:
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Whats the point in having rules if no punishments are forthcoming if you break them. :mad:
    I think it depends which two of the seven charges they were found guilty of. Presumably two which did not merit a points deduction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treelopper wrote: »
    I trust that is a sarcastic post? They've had since last SEPTEMBER to make the decision ffs, why has it taken them so long :confused::confused:

Don't know where you got September from, they were charged in March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know where you got September from, they were charged in March.

The investigation started in September. That is when it became apparent that QPR were trying to buy out Faurlins 3rd party deal.

Over the summer they need to take a good look at this case and tighten up every single area so all clubs know exactly where they stand and what the punishments should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The investigation started in September. That is when it became apparent that QPR were trying to buy out Faurlins 3rd party deal.

Over the summer they need to take a good look at this case and tighten up every single area so all clubs know exactly where they stand and what the punishments should be.

Yes, there was too much time taken making the initial charge but I was talking about settling that charge. Considering the legal advice that was needed by both sides then 2 months is pretty quick.