Options

Tracey's medical records

13»

Comments

• Options
    ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the imminent arrival of "Milton", couldn't they have had Becky threaten to out him as "The Man from Uncle" if he didn't help her do the heist?

It wouldn't have been any more of a "Suspension of Reality" than how they did plot it, but would have been a whole lot more fun!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dussi wrote: »
    The Computer Misuse Act (1990? mind going), for a start. All sorts of things which you might get away with if you were dealing with hard copies are illegal if you use a computer without proper authority to access them.

Of course, I'd forgotten that. 1991 I think, Section 1 Accessing a computer, Section 2 Making it do something.

Sorry, I thought you meant, specifically, accessing medical records was an offence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    And since when has Becky become so good at operating a computer? When has she ever been seen next or near to one before? All she's ever done is factory, bar and restaurant work.

Gail wrote down, what she needed to do on a piece of paper, Its not rocket science!
  • Options
    TaomiTaomi Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Of course, I'd forgotten that. 1991 I think, Section 1 Accessing a computer, Section 2 Making it do something.

Sorry, I thought you meant, specifically, accessing medical records was an offence.

Well I assumed it is but I was specifically talking about the Data Protection Act. However its a weird situation because ultimately Becky has obtained the information through another source's input (Gail). So technically it would be Gail that would be prosecuted. I have never experienced it to give a correct account but I know that it is definitely not as easy as Corrie have made it out to be. The fact that Gail should even know the GP's login is in a breach in rules itself and he could be prosecuted also.

Anyway, in this saga, regardless of the info Becky found, if it were real life then Becky would be in trouble for how she obtained the info and possibly for passing it on (?) and I doubt it would be left alone (obvs Tracey won't pursue it for storyline reasons).

Finally, I would hate for patients to be afraid that this is in fact easily done. Although I'm sure you all are more clever than to believe soaps ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    would a report from a hospital incident really be passed on to the GP? And if so - would it be that quickly?

Yes, everything from hospital gets forwarded to the GP. Discharge notification goes to the GP within 48 hours (or at least that is protocol for our Trust). Usually upon discharge the letter is sent immediately with the patient receiving a copy
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taomi wrote: »
    Well I assumed it is but I was specifically talking about the Data Protection Act. However its a weird situation because ultimately Becky has obtained the information through another source's input (Gail). So technically it would be Gail that would be prosecuted. ....

I imagine Becky would be guilty of an offence under section 55(1)(a), and Gail under 55(1)(b):
    55 Unlawful obtaining etc. of personal data.E+W+S+N.I..

(1)A person must not knowingly or recklessly, without the consent of the data controller— .
    (a)obtain or disclose personal data or the information contained in personal data, or .
    (b)procure the disclosure to another person of the information contained in personal data. .
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't see the actual document that was given to Steve. For all we know Becky could have contacted the hospital on a pretext to see if her friend that had a miscarriage was still there or something like that, and could have been told no she left on such and such a date.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    We didn't see the actual document that was given to Steve. For all we know Becky could have contacted the hospital on a pretext to see if her friend that had a miscarriage was still there or something like that, and could have been told no she left on such and such a date.

Becky knew she needed something official as Steve was making it clear he didn't believe a word she was saying. She knew that even if she brought Danny forward, Steve would say he was lying for her.

She was right - Steve needed to ask Gail whether the records were genuine so even at that moment part of him was hoping/thinking Becky was fabricating it.
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    This :)

But it was quite funny from Kylie's OTT acting then miracle recovery with 'Lourdes' water (nice one Deirdre) to Becky being a computer techie and we didn't know anything about it! :D

Thought Gail gave Becky Dr Matts password , it was something to with Sculls as he was an oarsman at Uni
    Even daft Becky could enter a Password
    Don't care if it was farfetched it was worth it to see vile Tracey Luv get her comeuupance & her pathetic Mother:D
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    Thought Gail gave Becky Dr Matts password , it was something to with Sculls as he was an oarsman at Uni
    Even daft Becky could enter a Password
    Don't care if it was farfetched it was worth it to see vile Tracey Luv get her comeuupance & her pathetic Mother:D

:):):):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

Possible. Although staff should be trained and taught not to give such information but I guess this could happen because if you know the patient details and the fact that they were an in-patient then I guess the staff member may assume you are authorised to know and it's an innocent request - which may not actually be the case. Confidentialty is a minefield and its a tricky scenario, especially for families who live away from patients who need to be kept in the loop.

Sorry I'm taking this way too seriously :o

Loved the exit episode though :D
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The password thing was completely ridiculous. Even the world's most distracted boss would change his password after just sacking someone, and although I've never put in or looked after systems in the NHS I'll be very surprised if they don't force a password change every month like all the other public service branches do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was that far fetched tbh. I've never worked in a doctor's surgery, but I used to work in a NHS lab and we constantly had to look up and enter patient results. Gail knowing the Dr's password is believable, I knew my managers log in and password because she used to let me go on her computer to fix problems with her excel spreadsheets and databases etc. We only had to change our passwords once a year as well.

It's really easy to get up patient information, the systems they use in a doctors surgery are probably a lot faster than the ones used in hospitals. They seem a lot faster anyway when I go and visit my doctor. Plus Gail gave Becky a list of instructions, if it was a fast system she could have easily got up Tracey's records and printed them off in a less than a minute. Plus, no one would ever know about it at the doctor's surgery unless someone made an official complaint, and I doubt Tracey would do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    The password thing was completely ridiculous. Even the world's most distracted boss would change his password after just sacking someone, and although I've never put in or looked after systems in the NHS I'll be very surprised if they don't force a password change every month like all the other public service branches do.

Yeah we do, every month and for every system we use. We would be in massive trouble using someone elses login and we even get wrong off management for leaving screens unlocked when popping away from desk.
    laura:) wrote: »
    I don't think it was that far fetched tbh. I've never worked in a doctor's surgery, but I used to work in a NHS lab and we constantly had to look up and enter patient results. Gail knowing the Dr's password is believable, I knew my managers log in and password because she used to let me go on her computer to fix problems with her excel spreadsheets and databases etc. We only had to change our passwords once a year as well.

It's really easy to get up patient information, the systems they use in a doctors surgery are probably a lot faster than the ones used in hospitals. They seem a lot faster anyway when I go and visit my doctor. Plus Gail gave Becky a list of instructions, if it was a fast system she could have easily got up Tracey's records and printed them off in a less than a minute. Plus, no one would ever know about it at the doctor's surgery unless someone made an official complaint, and I doubt Tracey would do that.

Gail hadn't worked there in months though and passwords have to be changed constantly in most companies. Definitely are in my NHS post. See my post above this. And as for knowing your managers password, I am fully aware that may happen with alot of people but that would be a breach of conditions of our job and is a big deal. Doctors can't even work on the PCs without their own login and it can get ridiculous with forms to IT etc but far rather have the correct names on the computer files and documents and not allowing people to access things they are not supposed to. If you had done anything wrong on your managers PC then she would get the flack and she couldn't prove it wasn't her. Thats the risk people take with password sharing.