Is DYNAMO the magician some sort of freak of nature?

Comments

• divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Criss Angel does similar things.

I've never forgiven Criss Angel for absolutely ruining my lunch in Vegas a few years ago when he turned up to film, the knob.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Illusion, manipulation, misdirection and deception, that's what he excels at, like Criss Angel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does he do the one where he takes someones mobile and twists is? Is it just the person with the phone is actually his mate and the phones a trick phone made to be twisted?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything Dynamo does is faked. He's not a magician, he's a fraud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, please do tell me which magician performs real things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    So, please do tell me which magician performs real things?

I only mentioned Dynamo because that's who the forum's about.

Gandalf? :)
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're suggesting magic is real?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only mentioned Dynamo because that's who the forum's about.

Gandalf? :)

So long as you know that every magician is a fake, that's alright. Yes, even Gandalf.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think what annoys me about Dynamo is the way he passes off his magic.

Obviously every magician will deceive you as magic isn't real.

But it's the way he uses TV tricks and stooges and fake items that annoys me it really cheapens the idea of magic. Many magicians will use tricks, but they aren't reliant on the things Dynamo is. They could still do amazing stuff without stoogoes, TV trickery and props. if you take those away from Dynamo all you're left with is simple card tricks.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,235
    Forum Member
    I've not seen him - is he better than Paul Daniels?

"Not a lot - just a little". Hard to better Paul and his cards.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said if you use slow mo on Sky Plus you can work out how he does stuff, like walking through the glass you can see him crawling around and out the door but behind the two big security guards on the door.

I am sure he uses so many celebs as they must enjoy being in on the joke but never telling joe public unlike if joe public who would no doubt come on here and blab.

Saying that, news flash all magic is not real and is fake so complaining he is fake doesn't really wash with me. He seems a genuine humble guy when he is interviewed, he never uses his illness as an excuse and should be a positive role model for anyone with long term illness.

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    So you're suggesting magic is real?
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    So long as you know that every magician is a fake, that's alright. Yes, even Gandalf.

I do know, I promise!

:o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »

But it's the way he uses TV tricks and stooges and fake items that annoys me it really cheapens the idea of magic. Many magicians will use tricks, but they aren't reliant on the things Dynamo is. They could still do amazing stuff without stoogoes, TV trickery and props. if you take those away from Dynamo all you're left with is simple card tricks.

This is what I was getting at earlier. All that faux wonderment is extremely irritating.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Poor mans David Blaine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »

I agree it cheapens magic...but it is still magic..."the art of making something appear to happen which is impossible" (my definition).

However, it's not GOOD magic.

i.e. The Derren Brown Live Lottery Prediction wasn't 'good' magic, but the follow-up show on how he supposedly did it 'was' good magic (that's obviously a matter of opinion - however the follow up show was non-stooge, non-camera trick stuff where the 'wisdom of crowds' test group really believed they made the prediction.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    As others have said if you use slow mo on Sky Plus you can work out how he does stuff, like walking through the glass you can see him crawling around and out the door but behind the two big security guards on the door.

Going on from my pervious post about good/bad magic I'd say that's a good magic trick. No camera tricks, yes it needs some setting up in camera angles but a card trick needs to be done at specific angles to the audience so they can't see the card manipulations.

Did it look like Dynamo had walked through glass without having to go into slo-mo or it being a camera trick? If yes then it's an OK trick...magic tricks are supposed to be viewed and experienced at full speed. Just because someone can work out how something is done by frame-by-frame slo-mo doesn;t make it a bad trick.

The best tricks can have the simplest explanation especially if it's a great effect.i.e. walking through glass.

pretty much any non-manipulation trick will have a 'banal' explanation...but that doesn't make it a bad trick.
  • IngenueIngenue Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Seriously?

Seriously seriously seriously?

:D:D:D

OP it's all just an illusion, like any other magician. I remember seeing ONE and only one of his shows on TV where he 'apparently' magicked himself through a pane of glass, when in actual fact you could see some big burly bouncers hiding him as he crawled around the doorway to then stand up at the other side of the glass.

Edit to add, I've just seen that Darth Fader has already mentioned this one.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it been confirmed Dynamo uses camera tricks? Will that one where he balances the guitar and drumsticks be camera work?
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I think he must be an alien or sutin !
    bob fossil wrote: »
    You're Jerry Baboona :eek:

Him and David Blaine are the only peopl on planet who are God's sperm :D

LOL, I must have seen that episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks about 5 times. Adam Buxton needs to be full-time host.:D:D:D
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a combination of basic tricks, camera tricks, and stooges.

He's not an "honest magician" (ie his tv show uses fake members of the public and the scenes are cut together misleadingly, much like David Blaine)
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed Dynamo uses camera tricks? Will that one where he balances the guitar and drumsticks be camera work?

Yes. In one episode he teleports between two building rooftops: you can see a pillar that is there in one shot, and not in another, because it's been spliced in to hide the transition between two totally different shots as the camera suddenly moves between the two buildings.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Yes. In one episode he teleports between two building rooftops: you can see a pillar that is there in one shot, and not in another, because it's been spliced in to hide the transition between two totally different shots as the camera suddenly moves between the two buildings.

Ahhh yeah think I remember that one. Guess that was a pretty big mistake. For me though it's often just lazy watching, he gets boring after about 10mins.
  • IngenueIngenue Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    LOL, I must have seen that episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks about 5 times. Adam Buxton needs to be full-time host.:D:D:D

That is my favourite episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks...... or sutun :D
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems no one can explain walking through a glass door, disappearing and turning into a heap of clothes...

It's all ... camera tricks?!

The production crew are extremely tight lipped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    It's a combination of basic tricks, camera tricks, and stooges.

He's not an "honest magician" (ie his tv show uses fake members of the public and the scenes are cut together misleadingly, much like David Blaine)

Exactly correct...although is there any 'honest' magician? They/we all lie when doing tricks.

There are good tricks and poor tricks.

Camera tricks and stooges are poor tricks...they still create 'an effect' hence are 'magic tricks'...confederates for the odd trick here and there is subtley different as there is the real chance of being caught out.

Dynamo must be commended for his PR and career path...it has made him successful however it is to the detriment of more 'honest' magic in that people think he is the total DBs and, from experience, get really upset when you hint at the fact that there is a hell of a lot of cutting/camera tricks and blatant stooging.