Is DYNAMO the magician some sort of freak of nature?

Comments

• pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I read on the Internet how the bus stunt was done. It's just a clever illusion
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a witch.... anyone got a ducking stool?
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    seriously, how does he do the things he does?
    he literrally appears able to read peoples minds.
    and i have just seen him on tv showing a 'trick' to natalie umbrelia. he made all the fake butterflies on the wall come to life and fly around the room.
    :confused:

is anyone clever enough to work out how he does this stuff?

Most people with average intelligence or above can work out the magic .

They're called tricks...either the "ordinary people " or the stars are in on the tricks. Lots of use of trick camera shots. Hes not original and not at all interesting and more a kids party type of magician. He seems to have made a name for himself by mesmerissing dim witted footballers and celebrities and dim pop stars on his early TV shows.In his street segments he always seems to use the same types of people who will scream , laugh and run around like a five year old on too much sugar once the trick is shown to them. I'm sure if he moved a pen against his jumper then put it to his hair - they'd be screaming with disbelief as the hairs on his head stood up .:)

His latest trick of holding on to the roof of the a London bus is a rip of of artist Johan Lorbeer work from 2008.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.
    'Dynamo' has the personality of a wet lettuce and the magic talent of Debbie Magee.

surely you're insulting the talents of Debbie with this comparison :)
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find him very dull, and over-hyped beyond belief.

His latest trick is very poor, and as has been pointed out done many times before.

I also dislike magicians/ illusionists who use stooges. Whats the point?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    surely you're insulting the talents of Debbie with this comparison :)

Actually 'Box-jumpers' as stage illusion assistants are affectionately called in the trade, always have their talents over-looked whilst a hairy chested male magician who prances around the stage to 80s rock music gets all the praise for doing nothing. 10 times out of 10, it's the 'Box-jumper' who is doing all the work whilst prancer boosts his ego.

But that illusion goes back to the very start of magic where the all powerful male commanded and controlled the weak subservient female.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when I first saw David Blaine levitate and do his street magic, I was convinced he was the genuine article, maybe some kind of shaman or zen master. I then googled 'balducci method' and realised he was nothing more than a cheap trickster.

With Dynamo I bypassed the intial awestruck phase and went straight to 'overhyped illusionist'.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    A nice illusion though...I just find the hype surrounding such things drops it down a few pegs...I'd rather it was just done as an illusion...I really don;t like magicians who hype up stuff before they have done it...just do it.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread.

He cant "just do it", as he is sponsored by Adidas. :D
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I remember when I first saw David Blaine levitate and do his street magic, I was convinced he was the genuine article, maybe some kind of shaman or zen master. I then googled 'balducci method' and realised he was nothing more than a cheap trickster.

With Dynamo I bypassed the intial awestruck phase and went straight to 'overhyped illusionist'.

Right so after watching a video where it is not mentioned, you just decided to google the word "balducci" that had just popped into your head?

Now that is magic! :rolleyes:
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    No doubt some people will be utterly convinced that there's trick involved and that he's really magic personified.

A magic show performed by someone who really could do magic would be absolutely pointless. Mind, dynamo is pointless, and he can't even do illusions.

The point is that any magic trick should have the audience asking themselves "how on earth does he do that?" Even paul daniels (who was far better than people now give him credit for) managed to achieve that.

But with dynamo, the usual reaction is "well, that's a bit obvious Not worth bothering with".
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember years ago Paul Daniels did that walk on water trick. Only he did it in platform shoes, bellbottoms and a wig. Tell me that's not more cool than this Dynorod guy?
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I think people need to remember that these are really just good tricks!

I can't explain any of the stuff he does and sometimes i watch the tv thinking, can he really do all this stuff...?! In a word NO - because they are just tricks.

If we go back to some his best ones - the one where he levitates high above the crowds at the statue of Christ The Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro and also the one where he seemingly completely vanishes in HMV leaving just his clothes on the floor.

Both of these illusions have dozens of people trying to film the event on their mobile phones and yet none of these videos captured on their phones have EVER appeared on YouTube or any other social network site. Why is that do you think? Its because they are all stooges....!!!!

If there were real people filming him doing a trick on their phones - there would be dozens of these video clips on YouTube and yet we have none!!
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An awful lot of his tricks involved camera trickery, which I think is somewhat cheating.

Tricks that rely on editing and fake audiences aren't really tricks in my book.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I remember years ago Paul Daniels did that walk on water trick. Only he did it in platform shoes, bellbottoms and a wig. Tell me that's not more cool than this Dynorod guy?

Chris Angel and also the masked magician have done the same trick but crossing a swimming pool instead.

The masked magician has also revealed the secret to this as well (you can see this on YouTube!). They use perspex columns in the water (which are not visible to the naked eye when viewing the water from the outside of the pool. you can't even see them when you are inside the water as they are obviously clear) and the performer just steps onto these instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ....i like dynamo..even though he sounds a bit simple..but that trick he did with the girl's tattoo winking where he wiped away the make up to reveal an eye,was seriously shit.and the stooges overacting didn't help...which is a shame,coz he's usually rather good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....i like dynamo..even though he sounds a bit simple..but that trick he did with the tattoo winking where he wiped away the make up to reveal an eye,was seriously shit.and the stooges overacting didn't help...which is a shame,coz he's usually rather good

You mean "usually he has better actors".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    You mean "usually he has better actors".

...quite possibly :) that said,despite being simple he has more charisma than david blaine
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    He just does tricks for entertainment, there's nothing mystical about him. At least people in general seem to know this though unlike with psychics, religion etc..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Google is your friend.

The one thing I didn't believe in was hypnotists. Then I went on holiday and a hypnotist made my friend do (legal) things he wouldn't dream of doing.

Anyone watched Derren Brown? A clever mind manipulator who actually tells you how he did it.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Username. wrote: »
    Google is your friend.

The one thing I didn't believe in was hypnotists. Then I went on holiday and a hypnotist made my friend do (legal) things he wouldn't dream of doing.

Stage hypnotism is mostly a form of amateur dramatics.
    Anyone watched Derren Brown? A clever mind manipulator who actually tells you how he did it.

Except he usually doesn't.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    TV trickery

The people he demonstrates the magic tricks to, are probably in on it. Add camera tricks and editing manipulation.

Still entertaining though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google is your friend.

I've always got the impression that Derren Brown is a genuine magician... his tricks don't rely on stooges and camera tricks.... just very gullible suggestible people.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he's not a freak of nature, Someone born with extra limbs is a freak of nature Siamese twins are freaks of nature.
    Dynamo is just good at what he does, He's a showman nothing else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a magician, who uses illusion, sleight of hand and distraction techniques.

Same as any other magician.
    You shouldn't have told them that, you have spoilt what they thought was for real
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    the ones that freak me out are the mind game tricks.

on america got talent there`s a "mid reader" and he asked Sharon to think of a name, now before hand he could have done some background checking and found out the names of relatives ex`s friends pets... he then wrote down a name and asked her to say the name she was thinking of, and he got it right.

BUT the thing is she just picked that name out of thin air, how did he do that?

but with dynamo he did a trick, and right away i saw the 2p on a guys shoulder, but he made it go from his hands to the shoulder and freaked the guy out