BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Son has cast off, doctors say he has a butterfly fracture that wasn’t set properly in Tunisia and it isn’t healing and he may lose his lower leg.

That seems incredibly drastic and I can’t believe there isn’t another solution.
    :eek::(

He will find out more in about six weeks when the pins are due to come out. I’m nagging Mr G for us to go down and see him in the next couple of weeks.

I thought amputation happened if there was infection and there is no sign of that.

He hasn’t had another plaster put on and he can wear shoes but he’s been told not to put any weight on it. Everyone has told him to put dried peas in his shoe.

I think they were being melodramatic and dissing Tunisian workmanship. When I had my incident I was told I could’ve lost part of my lung.

I’m going to do a lot of googling.
    Seems that that type of fracture is slow healing. I’ve read loads of people’s reports on them with my Google searches. My guess is that it’s hard to get the bones in close contact, not that I know very much about it.
    I’ve no idea what their plan is. I’ve tried googling. Maybe I’ll find out more if I go to see him.

Maybe they’re hoping the healing will start when he moves his foot around more.
    Balders MD says the normal reason for amputation is infection a or severe arterial damage. Never heard of it happening due to bone injuries.

People have recovered from totally smashed legs before. You can have permanent plates and pins.

?? Don't think he should be moving his foot around. It should be immobilised.

He will love a mumsie visit
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Hicky wrote: »
    Don't think bones can heal if they aren't held rigid.
    I know they can put bones together then keep separating them by minute amounts to make the bones longer, but think they have to be together to start the healing.
    If the bones are kept separated don't think they can knit together but may heal as 2 separate bones which wouldn't be good.

I think they can heal even if they are not together. When my stepson broke his arm while arm-wrestling they used a "new method" from somewhere or other possibly Finland, which meant that he had no cast, just a bandage for the first few days.
    The bone had shattered because it had a a cyst growing inside it.
    It was incredibly painful for him and i was strongly tempted to fashion him a cast from clay but it healed very quickly and left no ill effects at all.
    He was about sixteen at the time and so growing fast.
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Balders MD says the normal reason for amputation is infection a or severe arterial damage. Never heard of it happening due to bone injuries.

People have recovered from totally smashed legs before. You can have permanent plates and pins.

?? Don't think he should be moving his foot around. It should be immobilised.

He will love a mumsie visit

He’s been told to move his foot around, maybe to increase the blood supply. :confused:

He has a plate, a rod and about 11 pins in it. There is a shot of his x-ray on FB. I tried to grab it to share it but failed.
  • LittsisLittsis Posts: 11,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That’s the thing though, Littsis, support.

I foot would stand up on its own but a finger would keep falling over.

Well, that could have its advantages - would give you an excuse to keep moving it. On the other hand, have you thought about using one of those plate stand things for a finger?. Perhaps not, sorry, back to the drawing board. :)
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    I think they can heal even if they are not together. When my stepson broke his arm while arm-wrestling they used a "new method" from somewhere or other possibly Finland, which meant that he had no cast, just a bandage for the first few days.
    The bone had shattered because it had a a cyst growing inside it.
    It was incredibly painful for him and i was strongly tempted to fashion him a cast from clay but it healed very quickly and left no ill effects at all.
    He was about sixteen at the time and so growing fast.
    We can only assume that each part of the bones makes an attempt to add new bone, if the gap between isn't too big then they should come together filling in the gap, as long as the gap is within the new growth limits
    But if the bones aren't realigned correct then there's a problem.
    Forum Member
    We can only assume that each part of the bones makes an attemp to add new bone, if the gap between isn't too big then they should come together filling in the gap, as long as the gap is within the new growth limits
    But if the bones aren't realigned correct then there's a problem.

Yes,I think that must be the case.
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Yes,I think that must be the case.
    It's certainly a very worrying position which he finds himself in and has no control over what is going on.

But there must be a satisfactory solution, it's blinking 2012.
    We'll be making new limbs soon with stem cells, that will change the medical situation so much.

It's strange really, some animals can just grow new limbs if they lose one, sharks just grow dozens of new sets of teeth.

The little chit chats (lizards)that i played with in Singapore would jettison their tail if caught, then grow a new one.
    Forum Member
    * Looks for Acker*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He’s been told to move his foot around, maybe to increase the blood supply. :confused:

He has a plate, a rod and about 11 pins in it. There is a shot of his x-ray on FB. I tried to grab it to share it but failed.

That would work if he could move his foot without putting any pressure on the injury site.

Do you not have temporary or permanent fixings depending on type and severity of fracture
    It's certainly a very worrying position which he finds himself in and has no control over what is going on.

But there must be a satisfactory solution, it's blinking 2012.
    We'll be making new limbs soon with stem cells, that will change the medical situation so much.

It's strange really, some animals can just grow new limbs if they lose one, sharks just grow dozens of new sets of teeth.

The little chit chats (lizards)that i played with in Singapore would jettison their tail if caught, then grow a new one.

Thats my thought. You would think they could just cut out the damaged piece of bone and fit a new section with some new fangled composite material.

Barry Sheene had his legs smashed and made a full recovery. That was 30 ish years ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no Fluffers not osteopasty
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    morning all...just catching up^^^^^^^^... hope all well...:)
  • nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning chaps:)

Blimey Gemo, what a nightmare:( hope your son's leg is fixed without resorting to such a drastic measure...:eek:
    ..and definitely hope you manage to get down to see him soon, sounds like he could do with his mum for a bit:)

Quiet weekend here, daughter wants to go shopping (for a change...) driver is off on a driver-education weekend (suspect bike training would be better;):D) and OH is off to Turkey tomorrow.....

I am currently convincing myself that, as my knee doesn't hurt at the moment there's nothing wrong with it ;):D - mind you that's maybe 'cos I'm not doing anything to make it hurt;)

.....waves to insomniac lurkers...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Son has cast off, doctors say he has a butterfly fracture that wasn’t set properly in Tunisia and it isn’t healing and he may lose his lower leg.

That seems incredibly drastic and I can’t believe there isn’t another solution.

:eek::eek: it does sound incredibly drastic, not sure what 'butterfly fracture' is but hope this isnt the case

((((((((gemo))))))))))) am sure your son will get a second or even third opinion?
    are they just giving him worse case scenario picture?
    hope all is not as bad as it seems
    xx

**hugs for all injured and poorlies**

any news on footballer who collapsed? i'm not up to speed with news this week and never usually follow sport, just heard the main headlines..

busy week, phew! going to have a lazy day today

mum much better [she had mini stroke x3 last week] but am going to buy a blood pressure machine as her blood pressure was high, don't know why GP hasn't put her on pills but it may hopefully be an isolated incident and related only directly to the mini stroke...
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    Good Morning Lurkers :D

Busy, busy, busy, but back soon.......'tis warm and sunny btw...
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nowahalla wrote: »
    Morning chaps:)

Blimey Gemo, what a nightmare:( hope your son's leg is fixed without resorting to such a drastic measure...:eek:
    ..and definitely hope you manage to get down to see him soon, sounds like he could do with his mum for a bit:)

Quiet weekend here, daughter wants to go shopping (for a change...) driver is off on a driver-education weekend (suspect bike training would be better;):D) and OH is off to Turkey tomorrow.....

I am currently convincing myself that, as my knee doesn't hurt at the moment there's nothing wrong with it ;):D - mind you that's maybe 'cos I'm not doing anything to make it hurt;)

Morning halla :D

Keep convincing yourself :D
    kate36 wrote: »
    :eek::eek: it does sound incredibly drastic, not sure what 'butterfly fracture' is but hope this isnt the case

((((((((gemo))))))))))) am sure your son will get a second or even third opinion?
    xx

any news on footballer who collapsed? i'm not up to speed with news this week and never usually follow sport, just heard the main headlines..

mum much better [she had mini stroke x3 last week] but am going to buy a blood pressure machine as her blood pressure was high, don't know why GP hasn't put her on pills but it may hopefully be an isolated incident and related only directly to the mini stroke...

Morning kate :D

Sorry to hear about your Mum but glad to hear she is much better, although must be a worry for you.
    Artemesia wrote: »
    Good Morning Lurkers :D

Busy, busy, busy, but back soon.......'tis warm and sunny btw...

Morning Arte :D

Are you rushing about getting all your jobs out of the way so that you can spend the day on the balcony soaking up the sun :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    morning flora! and other bb'ers:D yes thanks flora, it is a worry, but she has her lifeline alarm and we have a good neighbour that keeps a check on her:)
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all :D
    Forum Member

xx

Hi Kate. :)
    I'm awfully sorry to hear about your Mum's strokes but it is good that she is feeling a bit better. I think the blood pressure machine is a good idea, if only to put your mind at rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    morning flora! and other bb'ers:D yes thanks flora, it is a worry, but she has her lifeline alarm and we have a good neighbour that keeps a check on her:)

Thats good, at least it gives you peace of mind.
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Morning all :D

Morning SR :D

Any haar today? :D
    Hi Kate. :)
    I'm awfully sorry to hear about your Mum's strokes but it is good that she is feeling a bit better. I think the blood pressure machine is a good idea, if only to put your mind at rest.

Morning honey :D
    Forum Member
    Morning everyone. :)
    I have just put everything that was on the line yesterday back in the washing machine. The seagulls must have had a scary fight or something above them because everything was covered!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A train out of the Borders? No trains, no dual-carriageways, bug rall here in the way of public transport.

Mr G will spare the time. I very rarely nag, plead or whine but I haven’t forgotten how to.
    I had forgotten you lived in the back of the beyond. :D

Good stuff.......you make sure you do that! :D
    Loving this underwater dancing on BBC1 Sport Relief.

Wow, how cool is this.
    Brilliant.
    You’re almost certainly right. I know you always are. I’ll just wait to hear when he has his foot chopped off and maybe I can have it embalmed and keep it as a souvenir on the mantelpiece so I will always have a little part of my son with me, even if he is miles away.
    :D:D
    nowahalla wrote: »
    Morning chaps

Blimey Gemo, what a nightmare hope your son's leg is fixed without resorting to such a drastic measure...
    ..and definitely hope you manage to get down to see him soon, sounds like he could do with his mum for a bit

Quiet weekend here, daughter wants to go shopping (for a change...) driver is off on a driver-education weekend (suspect bike training would be better) and OH is off to Turkey tomorrow.....

I am currently convincing myself that, as my knee doesn't hurt at the moment there's nothing wrong with it ;) - mind you that's maybe 'cos I'm not doing anything to make it hurt;)

Morning halla......well you know the answer now doncha! :p

xx

He's making a good recovery, but it will take a while before he's back to health.
    Hope your mum continues to improve.

HERE'S a butterfly fracture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats good, at least it gives you peace of mind.

Morning SR :D

Any haar today? :D

Morning honey :D
    :mad::mad:
    Yes there is! I can hardly see across the road this morning.
    Morning everyone. :)
    I have just put everything that was on the line yesterday back in the washing machine. The seagulls must have had a scary fight or something above them because everything was covered!
    Morning honey.
    Lovely, just what you want! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oathy asked me to thank you all for your good wishes. He didn't have a very good day yesterday, probably due to the doctors cutting back on his steroids.
    He said the staff have been brilliant with him, & the doctor treating him seems to be on the ball. (for a change)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :mad::mad:
    Yes there is! I can hardly see across the road this morning.

Morning honey.
    Lovely, just what you want! :eek:

Well I dont suppose you are missing much :D
    Forum Member
    Oathy asked me to thank you all for your good wishes. He didn't have a very good day yesterday, probably due to the doctors cutting back on his steroids.
    He said the staff have been brilliant with him, & the doctor treating him seems to be on the ball. (for a change)

It is good news if he has decent care at last. I do hope he is better soon.
This discussion has been closed.