Jaws - Theatrical re-release June 15th

MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone going to see this new print on the big screen?

I can't wait, i'm genuinely very very excited to see it in the cinema environment.

And then, come September it's Jaws on Blu-ray!!

I've had a great Jaws year so far and it's only gonna get better.

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a trailer for this before Prometheus.

I didn't realise at first that it was really for Jaws. Thanks to the voice of the guy narrating the trailer, I thought at first it was going to be some sort of crappy parody film... "Shark Movie!" or something.

I would like to see it on the big screen. It is a classic :)
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Yep, I am going. Can't wait!

One of my favourite films.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice little article, with an awesome behind the scenes pic:

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1516
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this in Cyprus on it's release, not sure what certificate it had in the UK. When that head came out the boat I almost crapped myself.

One of the benefits of being an Army brat.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I've not seen this film in full for about 10 years, but I do absolutely love it and I will try my best to find time to get to the cinema to see it. Would be really cool to see it on the big screen.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local cinema is also going to be showing The Blues Brothers on the big screen.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, Jaws on the big screen? Really? Wow, that's great news! I love Jaws.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Went to see this today, brilliant as always, great to see on the big screen, and one of my friends absolutely crapped himself at the dead body on the boat bit :D The film looks superb too, they've obviously spent a lot of time restoring it, it could almost be a film that was released today it looks that good. I imagine that the Blu Ray will look very nice when it's released in a few months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Went to see this today, brilliant as always, great to see on the big screen, and one of my friends absolutely crapped himself at the dead body on the boat bit :D The film looks superb too, they've obviously spent a lot of time restoring it, it could almost be a film that was released today it looks that good. I imagine that the Blu Ray will look very nice when it's released in a few months.

They have been right back to the original material and restored it frame by frame.
    There's a interesting feature about it on YouTube, or alternatively in the Jaws/Blu-ray website.

I shall be seeing it tomorrow at 14:40 and I'm more excited about this than any other film in months - go figure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know that it's not the original version that's being shown, don't you?

It's the new Disney version;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FvItp-XkY8

:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing this, very impressed with the restoration. It was the best i've ever seen it, very crisp and clear.

I've mentioned it before but i was on Martha's Vineyard (shooting location for Jaws) 3 weeks ago, so seeing all the locations on the big screen was a great thrill - me and the other half kept nudging each other and whispering "we've been there" :D:D

All the film was great and obviously the shark set-pieces were fantastic but the two stand out scenes were the one when Sean Brody copies Chief Brody's gestures at the table, and Quint's USS Indianapollis speech - perfection!!!!!

I'd advise anyone, no matter how many times you've seen it, to go and see it on the big screen while you have the chance.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see it! I hope none of my Accounting lecturers are watching though :p;) Me and my friends used to think they were like sharks.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed today that this is a 12A, and although the film predates the PG certificate I had always thought that the VHS release had been PG.
    The 30th Anniversary DVD release was a 12, but I have a feeling that was due to some bad language on one of the special features.

Anyone know if the new 12A rating is due to any extra material?
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    While watching this yesterday, Cineworld Wakefield, I thought to myself, I watched this first time round at the old ABC cinema, just a 15 minute walk away.... now closed.:(

Great seeing it on the Big Screen.:eek:
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it yesterday at Cineworld, always gonna be a classic
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    Noticed today that this is a 12A, and although the film predates the PG certificate I had always thought that the VHS release had been PG.
    The 30th Anniversary DVD release was a 12, but I have a feeling that was due to some bad language on one of the special features.

Anyone know if the new 12A rating is due to any extra material?

No extra material; www.bbfc.co.uk says:
    JAWS is a 1975 drama in which a small US island community is terrorised by a great white shark. The film was originally classified 'A' for cinema release in 1975 and was subsequently classified 'PG' for video release in 1987 and 1993. This cinema re-release has been classified '12A' for moderate threat and occasional gory moments.

At the time the film was submitted for video classification the '12' certificate had not yet been introduced. Given how well known the film is and given the fact it had been classified 'A' for cinema release in the 1970s (which was broadly equivalent to the modern 'PG' certificate), the decision was taken that JAWS should be classified at 'PG' rather than at the next available certificate of '15'. However, the film is clearly more appropriately classified at the '12A' level now that another classification is available between 'PG' and '15'.

There are a number of frightening scenes in which the shark threatens or attacks humans. The scenes in question are too prolonged and intense for a 'PG' classification by modern standards but are permissible at '12A' where the BBFC's Guidelines state 'Moderate physical and psychological threat may be permitted, provided disturbing sequences are not frequent or sustained'. The shark attack scenes are occasional rather than frequent and are separated by lengthy interludes of dialogue, narrative and humour. Even during the later sections of the film, in which the shark is hunted, the moments of threat are broken up by other material, with a particular focus on the ingenuity and bravery of the men.

Some of the shark attacks include sight of blood and brief gory images, for example a spray of blood when a boy is attacked, sight of a severed leg dropping to the bottom of the sea, sight of a dead man's head underwater and sight of a severed limb that has been washed up on a beach and which is subsequently examined. These scenes exceed the terms of the Guidelines at 'PG', which state 'Moderate violence, without detail, may be allowed' and are more appropriately classified at '12A' where 'Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail' and where 'Occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context'. Although the bloody and gory images occur within a real world setting, they are seen only briefly and occur in the context of animal attacks rather than human violence. As a result, the violence is not sadistic in nature and the brief blood and gore serves to establish what has happened rather than emphasising blood or injuries.

JAWS also contains a brief scene of soft drug use as a marijuana joint is passed and smoked in the background during a party scene. It also features brief female breast nudity in a non sexual context and some mild bad language, including uses of 'shit', 'damned', 'God', 'Christ', 'bastards', 'goddamn', 'son of a bitch', 'crap', 'frigging', 'ass', 'screw around', 'bloody'. Cigarette and pipe smoking is shown in a number of scenes. However, this reflects the period in which JAWS was made and smoking is not specifically glamorised or promoted.
  • THE HEADLESS DJTHE HEADLESS DJ Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I lobbied hard to get any cinema that would listen to me to show it in the last two to three years-- prints were either in a bad state or there was the multiplex option that could get hold of copy and hire of a screen but at a very costly price. I started a little group up on Facebook and it had a small but positive and well meaning response to get the movie back were it so rightly belongs, I was told that it only a possibility that it may be re-issued this summer, last year. When I got the official word from Universal I was jumping for joy, as I wasn't even born when it first come out. When it did get re-issued in the UK on June 15th nothing or no one was gonna stop me from watching it.

But no thanks to Cineworld in Cheltenham the sound was very poor and nearly missed the movie because their pre booking ticket system doesn't work and then I had to Que when 5 members of staff standing doing nothing to query about my booking and one person serving I was not impressed, after waiting all this time (a little over 30 years to be exact ) that I have waited to watch this truly superb movie on the big screen, where it belong. Be it though, the poor sound -- the picture was crisp and clear from original negative and just looked so brand new, like any modern movie today.