Options

The Master regenerates.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When The Doctor regenerates he has a short period of "confusion". My wife asked me why this never happens to The Master when he regenerates. I must admit that I could not answer her question because I have never noticed if The Master has or has not ever had this problem.:o Help please guys!:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Master went pretty much 'nutts' after his last regeneration, so maybe it does affect him too.

Or maybe regeneration affects the Doctor more profoundly than other Time Lords because he is half Human and as such has difficulty coping with it ;)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    When The Doctor regenerates he has a short period of "confusion". My wife asked me why this never happens to The Master when he regenerates. I must admit that I could not answer her question because I have never noticed if The Master has or has not ever had this problem.:o Help please guys!:D

Plot expediency.

More charitably, you could argue that the Master is insane in the first place?
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    The Doctor's regeneration is usually forced, a necessity which means that one persona is ripped away to be replaced!

The Master, from what we have seen, chooses to regenerate and is therefore, you would assume, mentally prepared for it!

Don't forget that the Delgado Master was presumably in his 12th regeneration, with the Pratt/Beevers Master being a failed disfigured 13th and then of course, Ainley/Roberts not being a regeneration but the inhabitation of another persons body. Not sure what Jacobi was but he clearly now had the ability to regenerate.
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    The Doctor's regeneration is usually forced, a necessity which means that one persona is ripped away to be replaced!

The Master, from what we have seen, chooses to regenerate and is therefore, you would assume, mentally prepared for it!

Don't forget that the Delgado Master was presumably in his 12th regeneration, with the Pratt/Beevers Master being a failed disfigured 13th and then of course, Ainley/Roberts not being a regeneration but the inhabitation of another persons body. Not sure what Jacobi was but he clearly now had the ability to regenerate.
    He got another regeneration sequence in The Five Doctors? Maybe the Time Lords held to their word?
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Romana seemed to have no serious problems either. My theory: the Doctor is a drama queen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    alphonsus wrote: »
    He got another regeneration sequence in The Five Doctors? Maybe the Time Lords held to their word?

If I remember correctly Rassilon sent everyone, including the Master back to their own timelines, even though he didn't presumaby arrive by timescoop, perhaps he just returned to his TARDIS. I doubt the new Timelord council would grant this as it was arranged by Borussa.
    The latter new series Master was presumably resurrected from cells in the time vortex after being sucked into the eye of harmony after events in the McGann TV movie, given a new regeneration cycle, but buggered off and hid using the Chameleon arch watch and the Yana alias.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Romana seemed to have no serious problems either. My theory: the Doctor is a drama queen.

Romana's was a nother change of body by choice after she had tried a few looks out settled on the princess Astra look. I think the only reason as others posters have noted is that he swaps bodies during traumatic events or is forced upon him as in the war games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »

I still think the Doctor lacks the ability to control his regeneration's due to him being half Human. I wonder if his mixed biology may be the way they get around the limit on the number of possible regeneration's?
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River Song also seemed to have no real problems in Let's Kill Hitler, which adds credence to the idea that it's just a problem that the Doctor has.
  • Options
    AtomicClockAtomicClock Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    River Song also seemed to have no real problems in Let's Kill Hitler, which adds credence to the idea that it's just a problem that the Doctor has.

In fairness, we've seen her regenerate twice, once in New York where we have no idea what the immediate after effects were and then in Lets Kill Hitler were we last see her resting in a bed (regeneration after effects?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness, we've seen her regenerate twice, once in New York where we have no idea what the immediate after effects were and then in Lets Kill Hitler were we last see her resting in a bed (regeneration after effects?)

True but I thought the resting in the bed was down to her getting zapped by the Teselecta, she appeared fine immediately after her regeneration, unlike the Doctor who always seems to be majorly affected.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    True but I thought the resting in the bed was down to her getting zapped by the Teselecta, she appeared fine immediately after her regeneration, unlike the Doctor who always seems to be majorly affected.

The last two regenerations for the Doctor showed him being fine immediately after, but then being affected a short while later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    The last two regenerations for the Doctor showed him being fine immediately after, but then being affected a short while later.

Perhaps it's the reason for the change -

1st to 2nd = severe old age, body conked out.
    2nd to 3rd = forcible eviction.
    3rd to 4th = severe arachnaphobia coupled with radiation poisoning.
    4th to 5th = dropping from a seemingly great height onto astro turf.
    5th to 6th = bat poisoning & asphyxiation from the close proximity of Peri's boobs!
    6th to 7th = overdose of carrot juice, excessive exercise, Mel's shrill voice, & michael grade syndrome.
    7th to 8th = death from over acting and gurning, possible heart attacks also.
    8th to 9th = Unknown.
    9th to 10th = vortex transmitted disease from chav...(controversy and backlash pending from that one...!)
    10th to 11th = mild radiation poisoning that worsening as he travelled visiting various old chums, had he received treatment immediately he could still be the TARDIS tennant.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    The Master went pretty much 'nutts' after his last regeneration, so maybe it does affect him too.

Or maybe regeneration affects the Doctor more profoundly than other Time Lords because he is half Human and as such has difficulty coping with it ;)

He's what? :mad:
    *Grabs pitchfork. Lights flaming torch*
  • Options
    Forum Member

....Half Human as mentioned by the Master in the TV movie, given away from his retina scan. I think they are quietly trying to forget the half human reference...
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    If I remember correctly Rassilon sent everyone, including the Master back to their own timelines, even though he didn't presumaby arrive by timescoop, perhaps he just returned to his TARDIS. I doubt the new Timelord council would grant this as it was arranged by Borussa.
    The latter new series Master was presumably resurrected from cells in the time vortex after being sucked into the eye of harmony after events in the McGann TV movie, given a new regeneration cycle, but buggered off and hid using the Chameleon arch watch and the Yana alias.

I just assume they resurrected The Master for the time war by using the matrix on Galliftey. I guess they gave him a new regeneration cycle then, not much point in sending him into war without the ability to cheat death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's the reason for the change -

1st to 2nd = severe old age, body conked out.
    2nd to 3rd = forcible eviction.
    3rd to 4th = severe arachnaphobia coupled with radiation poisoning.
    4th to 5th = dropping from a seemingly great height onto astro turf.
    5th to 6th = bat poisoning & asphyxiation from the close proximity of Peri's boobs!
    6th to 7th = overdose of carrot juice, excessive exercise, Mel's shrill voice, & michael grade syndrome.
    7th to 8th = death from over acting and gurning, possible heart attacks also.
    8th to 9th = Unknown.
    9th to 10th = vortex transmitted disease from chav...(controversy and backlash pending from that one...!)
    10th to 11th = mild radiation poisoning that worsening as he travelled visiting various old chums, had he received treatment immediately he could still be the TARDIS tennant.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Calm down mate.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The eighth Doctor himself admitted it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFhjvOWJ30o
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The new series producers seem to be pretty much obsessed with regeneration. Its a little over the top.

If its not The Doctor its River or the master or a fake one. Makes it feel less special every time.
  • Options
    AtomicClockAtomicClock Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    The new series producers seem to be pretty much obsessed with regeneration. Its a little over the top.

If its not The Doctor its River or the master or a fake one. Makes it feel less special every time.

I agree 100%

Regeneration used to be such a special and exiting event...now they seem to try and write it into every series! It seems to have been cheapened imo!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has (I believe) only ever been one regeneration of the Master seen on screen that of Yana to Saxon.

Apart from a few moments in the TARDIS at the end of Utopia we don't see the Saxon Master till 18 months have passed so any side effects of the Regen would have been off screen.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I can see John Simm being brought back for a regeneration into someone else within the next two years.

I'm sure Moffat is going to want to have Matt's Doctor have one story with the Master, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I can see John Simm being brought back for a regeneration into someone else within the next two years.

I'm sure Moffat is going to want to have Matt's Doctor have one story with the Master, right?

Seeing as 9 and 11 are the only Doctors not to have faced the Master then I expect he's going to turn up at some point during Matt's reign, although not necessarily John Simm regenerating.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as 9 and 11 are the only Doctors not to have faced the Master then I expect he's going to turn up at some point during Matt's reign, although not necessarily John Simm regenerating.

Benedict, maybe? **crosses fingers**