Iron Man 3

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bad? :(

Maybe you're just taking these movies a bit too seriously. The second was ok, not as good as the first, which was hardy a masterpiece itself.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i certainly didn't think it was that bad
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Maybe you're just taking these movies a bit too seriously. The second was ok, not as good as the first, which was hardy a masterpiece itself.

The first was enjoyable, unexpectedly so.

The second was shrill nonsense. It was really boring with very little action. Most of the scenes seemed to consist of Downey Jr. talking over everyone else. The final showdown was a damp squib and Mickey Rourke's character was totally wasted. Even worse, it reminded me of 'Transformers', probably the single worst film I've ever seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I think I'm probably going to avoid IM3. I did enjoy the first film, but I really dislike Tony Stark's personality (especially in The Avengers). I'm a bit sick of Hollywood glorifying narcissistic ***** by making them geniuses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first was enjoyable, unexpectedly so.

The second was shrill nonsense. It was really boring with very little action. Most of the scenes seemed to consist of Downey Jr. talking over everyone else. The final showdown was a damp squib and Mickey Rourke's character was totally wasted. Even worse, it reminded me of 'Transformers', probably the single worst film I've ever seen.

But wasn't Iron Man always more about Tony Stark, his ego, addictions and demons, than the heroics in the suit? In that respect it was only trying to stay true to the material source. Could it have been better? Sure, but it was still enjoyable. Both movies have their individual strengths and weaknesses, but personally I just don't see enough of an overall drop in quality in the second film to justify your ealier comments, but, each to their own. Even within the genre I can think of a dozen films that (IMO) are much worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marly Z wrote: »
    I think I'm probably going to avoid IM3. I did enjoy the first film, but I really dislike Tony Stark's personality (especially in The Avengers). I'm a bit sick of Hollywood glorifying narcissistic ***** by making them geniuses.

put it in spoilers just in case(i don't think it is but you can never be too careful)
    Tony Stark is a wounded man in this film,he is nowhere near as cocky as he was in the first 2 and The Avengers,he has seen things that have have left him a bit haunted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    put it in spoilers just in case(i don't think it is but you can never be too careful)
    Tony Stark is a wounded man in this film,he is nowhere near as cocky as he was in the first 2 and The Avengers,he has seen things that have have left him a bit haunted

That actually sounds quite interesting - I might have to give IM3 a go after all.

EDIT:
    Unless of course Tony Spark ends up getting his ego back by the end of the film, just in time to save the day and be glorified as the hero once more?
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I didn't hate Iron Man 2 but did think it was a lot worse than the first film (which I rate quite highly).

Personally I don't think Iron Man 3 deserves anything more than a 6/10 but most of the people that have already seen it seem to rate it much higher than I do...
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second movie watches a lot better now that Avengers I has been done and dusted.

Rockwell and Rourke's supporting roles really help to hold it together for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say that I found the first two Iron Man films really very average. Tony Stark came across as a really dislikeable character who was far to full of himself to warm to. But that may have been Downey Jr.s performance.

So as someone who is certainly not a fan of this comic character, I found the film a real blast.
    Director Shane Black seems to have corrected all the wrongs of Jon Favreau's and made the perfect summer blockbuster.

Black has cleverly got around tired shots of Downey Jr. inside the suit talking to camera with a fun story plot.

He's also got the casting right with some great performances from (Sir) Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce.
    It's also got a great, nippy pace about it with very little lag.

But quite possibly its saving grace is that it doesn't take itself that seriously.

Easily the best of the three, and if you like superhero flicks, but didn't think much of the first two, this one is definitely worth a look.

Review here.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    As long as they pretend the shambles which was 'The Avengers' never happened and make no reference to it whatsoever, then it should be another good Iron Man film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    As long as they pretend the shambles which was 'The Avengers' never happened and make no reference to it whatsoever, then it should be another good Iron Man film.

your going to be disappointed then,and i don't have a clue why you say The Avengers was a shambles,for me it was better of the superhero films that came out last year,far better than TDKR for example was was
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your going to be disappointed then,and i don't have a clue why you say The Avengers was a shambles,for me it was better of the superhero films that came out last year,far better than TDKR for example was was

Attention seeking.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow at 1pm.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the first two films, they weren't deep or serious but they were fun (even if Pepper got a bit irritating in places). I don't know about IM3, from the trailers it looks darker than the first two, I'll probably wait for the DVD to watch it.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it a blast
    After the horseshit of Iron Man2, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers, I was going to give it a miss. But Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Lethal Weapon are classics. And the first Iron Man is on Film 4 just now, and I quite like that.
    So that's Sunday afternoon taken care off.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the original film, I thought it stood out and was one of the better super hero movies I had seen in ages. It was all down to Downey Jr's performance which made it special. And felt it was just put together really well.
    The second isn't as good at all. A bit boring, but still enjoy it and enjoy watching those actors play their characters. Quite like watching the 5 of them in one day sitting!!
    Looking forward to watching this tomorrow :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attention seeking.

ah the old "i thought it was rubbish when everyone else raved about it,arent i great" play
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah the old "i thought it was rubbish when everyone else raved about it,arent i great" play

Of course some people might just not like it.
    Personally I thought the Avengers was gash. But everyone I went to see it with thought it was sliced bread.
    I was bored, and would have happily left part way through.
    I've also tried watching again since its been on Sky and haven't been able to last more than ten minutes or so before a combination of its shiteness, and a sudden interest in the drying time of paint, overwhelms me.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Of course some people might just not like it.
    Personally I thought the Avengers was gash. But everyone I went to see it with thought it was sliced bread.
    I was bored, and would have happily left part way through.
    I've also tried watching again since its been on Sky and haven't been able to last more than ten minutes or so before a combination of its shiteness, and a sudden interest in the drying time of paint, overwhelms me.

Never understood why some folk think everyone has to like the same thing. Some people aren't always going to like every film. I personally loved the Avengers but didn't like The Dark Knight Rises, when everyone I know thinks it truely is sliced bread, but that's just me.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Attention seeking.

Sorry, I didnt realise we all had to have the same opinion.

The Avengers was one of the most boring and pointless films ive ever seen, I cant understand why people rave about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Avengers was one of the most boring and pointless films ive ever seen, I cant understand why people rave about it.

Apology accepted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are on about the Marvel Avengers aren't you and not the film called The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman

Just got to check,as the latter is one of the most boring and pointless things ive ever seen,the marvel one imo wasnt :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol, biggest, most successful (by a mile) and arguably most loved film of last year was a shambles best forgotten? lol! :D

if you didn't like it, fair enough, but clearly your view is very much the minority and thus best ignored by those actually involved in the making of this (and other Marvel) films...
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    going to watch this tomorrow, so cannot wait!!!! :D:D:D