Iron Man 3

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Just seen this and I loved it. I was so shocked at the twist but liked it. This is the best of the franchise. I hated Iron Man 2 and 3 is far superior. 3, 1, 2 is my order of the whole franchise.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    For me all 3 films are pretty average....7/10
    The Mandarin was a big disappointment..... Pepper going super hero at the end, also looked very silly but Gwyneth Paltrow did look 'Hot'.

Eric was the best baddie...imo

Couldn't be bothered to wait for the end of credits scene.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    For me all 3 films are pretty average....7/10

Being pedantic but 5/10, then, surely? 7/10 would be above average...
  • Mike_LitorisMike_Litoris Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Is it worth going to see if you haven't seen 1, 2 or the avengers yet?
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Is it worth going to see if you haven't seen 1, 2 or the avengers yet?

I wouldn't say it'd massively spoil your enjoyment of the film, as each film is basically "Tony Stark faces a new threat" but there are references back to the first 2 films and one or two flashbacks to The Avengers. You might also find yourself wondering who this War Machine/Iron Patriot dude is.
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Being pedantic but 5/10, then, surely? 7/10 would be above average...
    Yes.;)

More that I couldn't give one a higher rating then the other.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iron Man Three

Awful non-numerical title aside, Stark is in another great movie. It's the sixth film in the Marvel Movie series, and they've all ranged from just above average (The Incredible Hulk) to bloody brilliant (Marvel Avengers Assemble). Iron Man started Phase One of this series, so it feels right that he's back to start the second phase.

I did think the film could have benefited a bit more from a few more Avengers references and maybe cameos, although the film rarely lets you forget we are definitely in a post New York setting, it does feel a lot more standalone than the other adventures, and that's obviously the intention. I guess I just love the shared universe that we have, that is so unique in movies, and want them to embrace it more, though a lot of people disliked the references in IM2, I loved them. The more the better as far as I am concerned. Though there were a couple of moments (a Thor reference, and a funny tag scene), I wanted them to make more of it.

So that's what I think is missing, but that shouldn't take away from what's there - a funny script, marshalled brilliantly as ever by Robert Downey Jr, great support from Gwenyth and Cheadle, a plot that cleverly often stays one step ahead of you, a villain who goes to places that you would never, ever guess, and some absolutely fantastic set pieces, including the destruction of Stark's house, and an absolutely outstanding plane disaster, which is brilliantly executed.

I was genuinely convinced they had killed Pepper at one point (the death of Coulson has made me nervous), but revival was a good kick ass moment. There were lots of such things actually, normally accompanied by a Bond style quip from Stark. The humour on display here, and in all movies of this series actually is what gives it the edge over a lot of other franchises, and it's always good to see. Especially when you can handle a one-liner as well as RDJ.

As with most films these days, maybe we could have lost ten minutes somewhere. It's a small moan in this case though.

So, it's jokey, full of action and the final line of the credits...Tony Stark will return, means we'll be back for more. Up next...MORE THOR.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see the film today and really enjoyed it.

I went to see it at the IMAX in Cineworld, Birmingham.

Now I know that it's a digital IMAX cinema, but I went to see Oblivion at the same screen the movie filled the entire screen for all but one scene.

With iron man though there were black borders at the top and bottom of the screen throughout.

Both have the same aspect ratio listed. :confused:
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the "i'm blue" intro to the film, was expecting some dark mysterious type music but instead we get this pop song playing :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this yesterday. Having not bothered with either the second film nor The Avengers, I thought I would be out of the loop, but the film referenced the events I hadn't seen without lots of expositon.
    Wasn't sure why the New Year's Eve Party Bern 1999 needed a Drop the Ball reference when the party was so many time zones away from Time Square in New York :confused: Tony was in Bern, yes?
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this film - was much better than no 2 and the avengers (which i didn't like at all)

I even loved the end credits!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »

Now I know that it's a digital IMAX cinema, but I went to see Oblivion at the same screen the movie filled the entire screen for all but one scene.

With iron man though there were black borders at the top and bottom of the screen throughout.

imdb says the Imax version is 1.89:1 . Don't know if you get more or less in that version .

I think other films have done the same - Avatar in Imax was 1.85 , but 2.35 in the cinemas .

btw - what did you think of their Imax ? is it worth the extra ?
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went see again for a second time yesterday with my friend :D
    he hadnt seen no.2 or the Avengers or anyother Marvel film except the first Iron Man film. he didn't really need to really.
    He enjoyed it as much as I did and wants to see the rest! told him we'll have a movieathon next time I am in my home town.

Saw it in 3D Thursday and 2D yesterday, can truely say the 3D doesn't really make any difference to me. but i don't care much about 3D at all anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imdb says the Imax version is 1.89:1 . Don't know if you get more or less in that version .

I think other films have done the same - Avatar in Imax was 1.85 , but 2.35 in the cinemas .

btw - what did you think of their Imax ? is it worth the extra ?

It say's on IMDB that IM3 aspect ratio is 2.35 and Oblivion is 2.35 and IMAX 1.89.1

So there's no info about an IM3 IMAX aspect ratio at all.

Oblivion filled the entire screen.

Anyway, I need to go back to The Giant Screen at the Millennium Point again.

Not sure which cinema I prefer.

The screen at TGS is bigger than Cineworlds Imax but I don't think the screen is used to it's full potential on films like Oblivion shot in 1.89.1.

So if you see Oblivion at TGS you'll be seeing it in 2.35 with big borders.

TGS use two projectors for 3D where as Cineworld just one with a 3D lense.

I think TGS uses Barco's 4K PJ's which at the time of installation were the best digital 4k projectors in the world.

Not sure what cineworld use.

I think the picture is a bit more detailed and crisp at TGS but motion is better at CW IMAX because there's less blurring, so you see more detail in action scenes.

Also, there's something wrong with an area of fabric near the centre of the screen at TGS. It looks like it's damaged, and gives a sort of CRT "dirty screen affect".

You can see it more in light scenes, but you do forget that's it's there when you're into a movie.

I reckon it would drive some hardcore AV fans mad though and they'd stop going.:p

They really should replace the screen fabric.

I think the sound system is better in Cineworlds IMAX for sure btw.

The seating is better at TGS.

The seats are more inclined at TGS so you can see everything on screen.

However, if you sit in the centre premier seats on the last row, there's a hand rail in front of you that get's in the way of the bottom of the picture a bit.

At CW IMAX, if you're watching a film that fills the hentire screen, you'll get the person sitting in front of you's dome blocking a bit of the picture. :p

And yes, there digital IMAX is worth the extra cash.

Bigger screen, better picture quality and sound and comfy seats with plenty of leg room. :)

I'm going to have to check out Odeon's iSENSE next I go to see a film. :)
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It will be a long wait if they decide to have another Iron Man film as Marvel already have their plans up untill 2015 with all of Phase 2.It could fit into Phase 3 but I think its very unlikely as I think they will just use Robert Downey Jr in The Avengers and in cameo roles in other Marvel films!

I hope I'm wrong but Iron Man 3 is still a great end to a trilogy if films
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So if you see Oblivion at TGS you'll be seeing it in 2.35 with big borders.

TGS use two projectors for 3D where as Cineworld just one with a 3D lense.

they told me (at cineworld) that they use 2 projectors in their imax , altho this was one of the ushers , she could've been wrong

I think the picture is a bit more detailed and crisp at TGS but motion is better at CW IMAX because there's less blurring, so you see more detail in action scenes.

Also, there's something wrong with an area of fabric near the centre of the screen at TGS. It looks like it's damaged, and gives a sort of CRT "dirty screen affect".

You can see it more in light scenes, but you do forget that's it's there when you're into a movie.

yeah , someone else told me that , that'd get on my nerves .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

Oblivion was "specially formatted for IMAX" according to the Oblivion IMAX poster i got from Cineworld when i saw the film on opening day. I believe that means the frame was opened up so that IMAX viewers are getting more of the picture (it's all redundant extra space since the film was filmed with 2:35:1 in mind, but it still looks nicer on the IMAX screen), the same thing was done with the IMAX version of Skyfall.

Most IMAX conversions retain the films original aspect ratio though, hence why Iron Man 3 had black borders.

This will explain it better than i can:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/imax-boasts-26-more-james-bond-skyfall/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they told me (at cineworld) that they use 2 projectors in their imax , altho this was one of the ushers , she could've been wrong

yeah , someone else told me that , that'd get on my nerves .

Yes, there are two PJ's at CW IMAX. :)
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Oblivion was "specially formatted for IMAX" according to the Oblivion IMAX poster i got from Cineworld when i saw the film on opening day. I believe that means the frame was opened up so that IMAX viewers are getting more of the picture (it's all redundant extra space since the film was filmed with 2:35:1 in mind, but it still looks nicer on the IMAX screen), the same thing was done with the IMAX version of Skyfall.

Most IMAX conversions retain the films original aspect ratio though, hence why Iron Man 3 had black borders.

This will explain it better than i can:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/imax-boasts-26-more-james-bond-skyfall/

Thanks for that. :)
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frustrating Iron Man films...

I was hoping this was going to be a serious improvement over IM2, but sad to report that it's just only a tad better and still leaves IM1 at the top of this rusty franchise.

RDJ is his usual witty, quippy self but sometimes it's to the detriment of the story and those he interacts with. Cut back on some of the self indulgence and it's possible we'd have a much tighter and shorter movie. The story was so-so, but if you're hankering after loads of Iron Man (in suit) action, then you may be disappointed. It's a bit like TDKR, in that respect. Much more screen time, for the man out of the suit. Seeing all the little uns in the theatre getting restless (and playing with their parents phones!), does make me wonder why Marvel overload the film with serious navel gazing and introspection, when a lot of the general audience probably just want some wall-to-wall tin can action.

Like the first sequel, just found this too long to get going. Too many characters, unclear motivations, sporadic IM action until the last 20 mins or so, a detour to some hick town for an uneccessary IM and 'Robin' shenanigans, lots of IM suits all seemingly inferior to the very first one, neutering of the main nemesis (absolutely ridiculous and killed the film there and then...) and a dockside finale straight out of the Lethal Weapon movies. There are occasional glimmers / dialogue that reflect Shane Black's style but overall, it was a pretty journey-man entry of a film. And just when you think there's a chance for some dramatic weight for the movie, with a death or two... Hmm.

As for the wrap-up and how this leaves plans for Avengers 2, it will be interesting to see how it's handled. I'm happy NOT to see another stand-alone Iron Man film, unless there's a recast of the lead role. I think RDJ is pretty much done with the role now.

Best thing about my Cineworld screening? The fab new Man of Steel trailer. That film will walk all over Iron Man 3! The worst thing? The effing 5 min clip from the new Fast & Furious movie. Wtf!? Do NOT wanna be forced to sit through clips of stupid movies I have absolutely zero intention of seeing. I hope this isn't a new trend. Grrr. :-[.

Rating for IM3 - 2.5/5.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Pleasantly surprised by this. I liked IM1 and IM2, but thought IM3 might just be more of the same. Happily, it had a different feel to it, a bit more edge and some laugh out loud moments. Could have done without the references to the abysmal Avengers, and there is a massive plot hole in the movie - don't know if anyone else has picked up on it. Gwyneth Paltrow looked FIT! Good Friday night cinema fayre and the 'Blue' intro sequence was cool.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,678
    Forum Member
    My favourite element of the Iron Man series is how the cast are encouraged to improvise and bounce off one another and even the villian can trade jokes with the hero, etc.

TBH some of the time it feels like a comedy film with occasional forays into action rather than the other way round.

That feels refreshing in this day and age as every other film out there tries to go dark and brooding (certainly from the trailers we saw Superman is going that way, Star Trek too...), its nice you can have a great many laughs as well as the usual clever plot twists and explosions.

I also think not being a comic book fan allows me to enjoy these films more than if I was (and, by all means, I've been tempted to pick up a comic now and again... ;) )
    I think if I was a fan of the comics I'd go into it expecting certain boxes to be ticked and have a pre-conceived idea of what the film should be like, but no, this isn't the film I would imagine in my head when reading the comic, this is a great film from a great director who can do it 20 thousand times better than my own puerile mind could ever imagine :p

Great stuff.
    Only criticism is there probably wasn't enough detail of the new suits for my liking, but again that's just fanservice, not exactly an issue with the plot.

Tony Stark Will Return.

In the next Avengers film, and good luck getting any more than that out of Downey Jr :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i loved it. better than the first two although i was disappointed with the
    Mandarin Reveal. It really took away any fear you had of him

looking forward to the rest of the avengers solo movies now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it, my main reason for watching the original Iron Man was Robert Downey Jr so this one was great in that respect. The start with the voice-over/narration style instantly reminded me of the same thing in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which i thought was a nice little (maybe) reference.
    And having it turn out to be Tony talking to Bruce was perfect, i thought that was a nice nod to the fans, me included, who loved the pairing of those two in Avengers and since Hulk isn't getting his own movie anytime soon.

I felt they could have gone even further with Tony's vulnerability but it was a nice change of pace from his usual cocky attitude.

Since i've never read the comics
    the Mandarin thing doesn't bug me as much as it does some but i did find it a bit jarring at first, until enjoying Ben Kingsley's performance took over!

I'll be going back to see it a couple more times while it's on, the Unlimited Card will pay for itself well this month!:D
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natstally wrote: »

I'll be going back to see it a couple more times while it's on, the Unlimited Card will pay for itself well this month!:D

Seem it twice already :D and will be watching it again before it goes off :D
    Forum Member
    i loved it. better than the first two although i was disappointed with the
    Mandarin Reveal. It really took away any fear you had of him

looking forward to the rest of the avengers solo movies now.
    That just about ruined it for me.