13»

Comments

• Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachael7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip :)

Maybe we should start a thread titled 'Useful things to do while Strictlys on and its so awful that we can't bear to watch'.

I know i could always turn over but i've watched Strictly from the start and live in hope it will improve, wont hold my breath though!

Great. gives you enough to make the icing, eat two chunks yourself and grate the rest over he top. The cake us yummy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just the same as you, a Strictly addict from the start, who felt last night's show was dire, apart from Michael, who danced a proper dance !! I couldn't have put your points better about what the forum is all about. We don't want to switch off, we want to watch, but not a dumbed down show designed to appeal to a new audience rather than its core fans.

me too, i can't switch off, but really didn't enjoy last night
    :(:(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same as tvaddict, I could never switch it off and last night for the first time ever I didn't see the show live as it went out. I have just iplayered it and I was very underwhelmed. Bar costume and make up who are fantastic.

The VTs are ghastly, they don't even appeal to children, children are cleverer than that. You can see the pro's hate every minute of it, especially the more mature ones i.e Erin, Flavia, Artem. I can't blame them. Add to that the fact that no one this year (bar possibly Lisa) has any personality. ITT is dull and repetitive. Nothing is surprising or fresh.

The only thing I love about this series is Darcey.

Strictly, I love you but the last two years you have gone rapidly down hill.

x x x x x x
  • Options
    aimeeaimee1000aimeeaimee1000 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I get the feeling we'll end up with another bland winner who I don't really care about (like Harry Judd last year). I'd rather someone won who was annoying - at least they'd get a reaction out of me!

But can anyone see past a Louis/Kimberley one/two? I can't. If Michael's Latin wasn't so dire he could upset the odds. Do any dancey people out there think it can be rescued or would it take a miracle to fix?

I think this years line up of celebs is dire, and to top it all the judges have their favourites already. To me Kimberley is over rated(why is it that a singer from Girls Aloud is so popular ? and to me Pasha's choreography has gone down hill.
    So it will be Louis who wins
  • Options
    yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvaddict37 wrote: »
    me too, i can't switch off, but really didn't enjoy last night
    :(:(:(

If you go to the 'Who are the comedy VTs supposed to appeal to ' thread you'll see large numbers of people saying much the same thing. We now have a link to the BBC complaints department, (which is on that thread) and hopefully a lot of people will complain. I'm a Strictly addict and have watched and loved the show for years,so am really the last person to complain, but I'm not sure what the BBC are trying to do with Strictly at the moment. One thing for sure, they're in danger of losing the loyal fans who love it for the dancing rather than the gimmicks and tasteless dumbing down.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my way of watching SCD and this is my first year as a viewer.
    I'm really really enjoying it too.:D

Never attempt to watch it 'live' and fast forward through BF and the padding.
    Its a fantastic show without those irritations.:)
  • Options
    komentaightorkomentaightor Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really is a problem. Have the lists been compiled by someone who knows nothing at all about what they ought to be doing I wonder....

I disagree that the music is all rubbish.
    I loved the Carmina Burana excerpt for Erin's Paso;

One thing I CANNOT STAND AT ANY PRICE is what this band does to the song "Somewhere over the rainbow" (danced last week). It is mangled beyond recognition. It is **** awful. Please don't tell me that this is the music you want.
  • Options
    komentaightorkomentaightor Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terrie1957 wrote: »
    I never thought I would say this but this current series is a bore.:yawn:

Only person with some likeability is Lisa and sadly I cant see her winning.
    Louis or Denise will probably win as they are the only ones who can at least dance to some degree, although Louis has zilch personality and Denise/James don't appear to like each other very much.

The music choices for some of the dances are dire.
    Some dances don't resemble what they are supposed to be.:eek:
    The VTs are cringeworthy.
    They still have that bl**dy rumba, should only be danced by professionals, or at the very least, near the end of the series when at least some of them can dance a little (bring on the "oh the rumba is fabulous" fanatics.... yes if its danced properly and it hardly ever is by the contestants !)
    Rant over.:)

The worst ever series was Series 1 followed by the Series with Anne Widdecombe in it (about 99).
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have taken to recording the show so that I can skim through those dreadful so called 'comedy' inserts. However, the last two shows with dreadful 'themes' (Hollywood & this Halloween nonsense), have been so dire with unsuitable music that I have now found myself skimming through most of the performances.
  • Options
    bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrie1957 wrote: »
    I never thought I would say this but this current series is a bore.:yawn:

Only person with some likeability is Lisa and sadly I cant see her winning.
    Louis or Denise will probably win as they are the only ones who can at least dance to some degree, although Louis has zilch personality and Denise/James don't appear to like each other very much.

The music choices for some of the dances are dire.
    Some dances don't resemble what they are supposed to be.:eek:
    The VTs are cringeworthy.
    They still have that bl**dy rumba, should only be danced by professionals, or at the very least, near the end of the series when at least some of them can dance a little (bring on the "oh the rumba is fabulous" fanatics.... yes if its danced properly and it hardly ever is by the contestants !)
    Rant over.:)

I agree, I have watched every series and never ever would I have thought that I would record the show and fast forward the majority of the dancers. I am really sad, I usually love Strictly, I think the main reason is the whole line up of celeb dancers, the producers have been unlucky as not only are they not that good they don't seem to have dull personalities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Im really enjoying this year. Not been overly impressed with the music choices though or the VTs. I quite like seeing the celebrities in training but lately they dont actually show any genuine training.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go to the 'Who are the comedy VTs supposed to appeal to ' thread you'll see large numbers of people saying much the same thing. We now have a link to the BBC complaints department, (which is on that thread) and hopefully a lot of people will complain. I'm a Strictly addict and have watched and loved the show for years,so am really the last person to complain, but I'm not sure what the BBC are trying to do with Strictly at the moment. One thing for sure, they're in danger of losing the loyal fans who love it for the dancing rather than the gimmicks and tasteless dumbing down.

But the vast majority of us have been complaining about them from the start but they are, if anything, increasing in number and getting more puerile.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im really enjoying this year. Not been overly impressed with the music choices though or the VTs. I quite like seeing the celebrities in training but lately they dont actually show any genuine training.

I'm enjoying it too.
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Same as tvaddict, I could never switch it off and last night for the first time ever I didn't see the show live as it went out. I have just iplayered it and I was very underwhelmed. Bar costume and make up who are fantastic.

The VTs are ghastly, they don't even appeal to children, children are cleverer than that. You can see the pro's hate every minute of it, especially the more mature ones i.e Erin, Flavia, Artem. I can't blame them. Add to that the fact that no one this year (bar possibly Lisa) has any personality. ITT is dull and repetitive. Nothing is surprising or fresh.

The only thing I love about this series is Darcey.
    Strictly, I love you but the last two years you have gone rapidly down hill.

x x x x x x

Like grape harvests Strictly has had vintage years, but 2012 is not one of them.
    Staging Broadway Week and Hollywood Week makes sense, as there have been outstanding dances in the past worthy of restaging, but there have never been proven successes like:

Frankenstein Does Foxtrot
    Dracula Smooches the Jugular
    Dr Jekyll waltzes with Sister Hyde
    Scissorhands Cuts a Dash in Cha Cha Cha
    Mummy Does the Mambo

The Rocky Horror Show cominbed horror fantasy with rock music, but that is a world away from feelgood lookgood ballroom and latin. Combining horror with Strictly is like making applepie with chili.

Daft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    It stands out on many messages that the VTs are not working. Surely actually showing the training - tension- arguments - tears - fun etc this would help the audience to feel more involved. I used to be glued to the old VTs now its a point to fast forward......