Options

Daybreak are disgusting

2»

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is particularly apt in this instance.

Why don't you leave the thread then? :D
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Why don't you leave the thread then? :D

Oh my, good one! :D
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I kind of agree and disagree. I think The Gatherer certainly has a problem with me...

Oh have a lend of yourself.
    The program is 'vile', other FM's are defending the indefensible, apparently.
    I don't even watch Daybreak and I know it's not a 'hard' news program.
    Quite why you couldn't have worked this out, I don't know, but hey ho.
    Now you've been told what the program is about you can watch something else for your news content in the morning.

As someone else has pointed out, the Caribbean angle.
    Did you start any threads when Daybreak didn't cover that extensively?
    If not, why not?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much like when GMTV ignored the UK flooding some years ago to talk about Paris Hilton in jail instead, they are now treating hurricane Sandy as a fluff piece - when they aren't outright ignoring it - even though people have died and New York is in a state of emergency.

They really turn my stomach, and I'm going to have to turn it off before I see any pimping of their latest competition or I'll likely throw something at my TV.

How do ITV get away with their behaviour? They are vile.
    The original post was made at 9:10am but Daybreak finishes at 8;30am.

The original poster wasn't watching Lorraine were they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flounder78 wrote: »
    This is not just aimed at Daybreak but why is it that we cover news in the states as if it were happening in the UK. The election coverage has been on every day - why do we care so much about it to have it as top news. sandy is terrible but again it has already had a much bigger impact in the Caribbean, but we start covering it when it hits New York!

I can bet you bet your bottom dollar that when we had a hung parliament and the floods that it was not even sniffed at I the states!

Maybe you're being deliberately obtuse.
    The media here is interested in the US elections for exactly the same reason why don't we cover the Polish elections.
    New York, rather than the Caribbean, because lots of people have been there, know something about it from the TV/Media and 'feel' some affinity for the place.
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much like when GMTV ignored the UK flooding some years ago to talk about Paris Hilton in jail instead, they are now treating hurricane Sandy as a fluff piece - when they aren't outright ignoring it - even though people have died and New York is in a state of emergency.

They really turn my stomach, and I'm going to have to turn it off before I see any pimping of their latest competition or I'll likely throw something at my TV.

daybreak isn't just a USA news show so every point you make is pointless
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never have guessed in my wildest imagination that this thread would cause such rabid hostility. Just...wow. Talk about an eye opener!
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never have guessed in my wildest imagination that this thread would cause such rabid hostility. Just...wow. Talk about an eye opener!

This isnt rabidly hostile its just poeple disagreeing with you , if you want rabidly hostile go on eastenders threads and suggest coronation street is better ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are so sensitive and over reacting. Take a chill pill!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you write for a tabloid, certainly got the emotive stuff down to a tee.
    Program is 'vile', the implied 'defending the indefensible' line, now 'rabid hostility'.
    Nope, some people simply disagree with you.
    How can a program be 'vile' because it doesn't cover news stories to the depth you think it should, come on now.

What are you going to do when someone disagrees with you over something that matters.

Pfft....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you write for a tabloid, certainly got the emotive stuff down to a tee.
    Program is 'vile', the implied 'defending the indefensible' line, now 'rabid hostility'.
    Nope, some people simply disagree with you.
    How can a program be 'vile' because it doesn't cover news stories to the depth you think it should, come on now.

What are you going to do when someone disagrees with you over something that matters.

Pfft....
    Completely agree!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Daybreak got anything out from NYC this morning considering their New York bureau suffered from a power cut.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also all this "worst natural disaster in America ever" is a bit ott and crass. Have they suddenly forgotten about Hurricane Katrina.

:confused: Where did you hear this?

All the reports I've seen have said it's the worst weather in New York for over 100 years, not in American history.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To put it into perspective lots of things happen around the world e.g. a storm in the PHillipines that killed nearly 1000 in 2011

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/12/20/144027668/tropical-storm-kills-nearly-1-000-in-philippines and there was one this year that killed about 20 people and we never heard about it.

It is likely that some people died today in Syria, Afganistan and Iraq and they did not cover that either.

The fact that they did cover the Hurricane in the USA for part of their programme is good enough isn't it?
  • Options
    flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Maybe you're being deliberately obtuse.
    The media here is interested in the US elections for exactly the same reason why don't we cover the Polish elections.
    New York, rather than the Caribbean, because lots of people have been there, know something about it from the TV/Media and 'feel' some affinity for the place.

Wow - is that what you really think? It is because people will relate to it more? My my ....

I think it has more to do with the UK obsession with the US, the relationship the UK has politically with them.

I do not have a problem with it being reported as I am actually interested I just question the enthasis it is given over other news/ issues in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow - is that what you really think? It is because people will relate to it more? My my ....

I think it has more to do with the UK obsession with the US, the relationship the UK has politically with them.

I do not have a problem with it being reported as I am actually interested I just question the enthasis it is given over other news/ issues in the UK.

You don't seem to have understood my post, it's only 3 sentences.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dosen't it depend on whether there are more Polish/ American or Carribbean people in this country?

It feels like there are more Polish people around at the moment but that could just be because I live in a large city. Maybe the press should cover their elections?
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is exactly why so much coverage has been given to, and is always given, to stories in the US such as the elections, Hurricane Sandy etc. Your Government (not mine; we do things differently over here!) has so much invested in its relations with the US, which means that anything which might upset that balance, either economically or politically, will always been reported on in this country. (I believe that might also have been the thinking behind the "this is why we don't cover Polish elections" comment, though perhaps it wasn't expressed clearly enough in its original form)

So that's why the US don't usually bother reporting much of what happens here, unless it's a major political story which might in some way 'threaten' their relationship politically with us and cause them trouble - they simply don't have anything invested in Great Britain, especially not economically, which would make them want to cover our floods, disastrous though these were for those caught up in them.

But the point of this thread, about why Daybreak isn't covering it has been answered by many posters already (and not in a hostile way, I might add - not sure why the OP got so steamed up and expressed himself in such emotive language just because people disagreed with his opinion).

That is, that Daybreak is not a news programme, serious or otherwise, and was never advertised as such - I haven't watched ITV breakfast programming since the early 90s, but even I know what I'd find if I did tune in, and therefore choose not to. The type of content surely can't have come as a complete shock to the OP - the names of the programmes might have changed over the years, but the set-up of them most definitely hasn't!

'Turn over if you don't like it' is, for once, one of the most apposite uses of that often trite advice - that is exactly the solution! There is plenty of news available at that time of day if you want it, and most of them FTA. All anyone has to do is tune in!

In fact, and I'm merely playing devil's advocate here (so please don't think I'm being serious!) the 'fluffy TV' brigade ought to be the ones complaining here, because I'm sure that (if they watched) they'd feel that there is too much news, and not nearly enough competitions, showbiz and 'fluff' on the BBC and Sky News et al :D Those of us who, genuinely, want to follow world news have a plethora of channels to choose from; those who want the 'fluff' at that time of day (poor, brain-dead people that they are) do not, so maybe there are the ones who should be on here moaning about it!

Or is it too early in the morning to be playing devil's advocate? :o:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Why not watch BBC Breakfast or Sky News?

Well I'm sorry, but the BBC are every bit as bad. I tuned in to the 'Daily Politics' programme, with the truly awful Andrew Neil. I was appalled to see film of the New York storms being shown over a music bed of the song 'Sandy' from the film 'Grease' IMO, this was not a subject that should have been treated in such a light-hearted, and disrespectful way. People died. Shame on everyone involved.