Options

Why are more and more people getting tattoos?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really...:rolleyes:

Well, put it this way, you'd never see a High Court judge or the Chancellor of the Exchequer with a tattoo.

And on another note, that's one sexy-ass avatar on your profile. Tell me, where are your tattoos located?
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this person looks yobbish? http://pinterest.com/pin/101260691592664493/

So you would rather employ a bunch of mindless drones?

TBH, she'd be no good to us on a photo shoot (I reverse engineer vintage clothes). It's too distracting against the clothes - and sometimes actively clashes.

I love this designer, I think she has a great body shape and sense of style - and models all her own stuff in her (wonderful) book. But the tattoos - however well done - detract badly from the cleanness of the designs.

As I say, the inked people I know are bank clerk and insurance salesperson. It is no longer counter culture. It's mainstream. Therefore has no power to shock any more. It seems to be a statement of conformity and drabness.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's the in thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she doesn't care. They don't all go like that anyway. Just cos it might go wrinkly when your older doesn't mean it's a bad thing getting them done what kind of way would that be to live.

Personally, I think thinking ahead when considering something as permanent as a tattoo, is just commonsense.

If people, especially likely to be women, live say to 80, that means 40 years, at least, of having that saggy hideousness on display.

Maybe not being able to wear sleeveless tops in the summer, thanks, but no thanks. To me, what kind of way would that be to live.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Celebrities showing theirs off. Its now mainstream because a lot of people are easily led
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abigail05 wrote: »
    Personally, I think thinking ahead when considering something as permanent as a tattoo, is just commonsense.

If people, especially likely to be women, live say to 80, that means 40 years, at least, of having that saggy hideousness on display.

Maybe not being able to wear sleeveless tops in the summer, thanks, but no thanks. To me, what kind of way would that be to live.

People always talk about them getting faded, blurry and crinkly but I am curious because the people I know who have had them are morbidly obese... does that mean they can never lose weight or their tattoos will suddenly not be recognisable? I often wonder about this.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

And also trampish, she needs sectioning.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Well, put it this way, you'd never see a High Court judge or the Chancellor of the Exchequer with a tattoo.

And on another note, that's one sexy-ass avatar on your profile. Tell me, where are your tattoos located?

Don't have any yet, still designing my first one, want to make sure it's right.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abigail05 wrote: »

Not everyone goes saggy at 40 you know. And maybe, just maybe they wont care what judgmental folk such as abigail thinks of them?
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if i lived to 80 or was morbidly obese, how my tattoos looked would be the least of my problems
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    To be honest, if i lived to 80 or was morbidly obese, how my tattoos looked would be the least of my problems

Very true!
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    And also trampish, she needs sectioning.

I think she looks beautiful, i'm sure some people with tattoos look trampy if no thought or anything has gone into them though.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »

I know a JP with two tattoos. Hasn't had any negative impact on his ability to act as a magistrate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Noooooooooooo.:D What I mean is - what if you are morbidly obese aged 20, have a load of tattoos and then decide to get healthy....? What happens to the tattoos? Because they've been made over stretched skin...
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Noooooooooooo.:D What I mean is - what if you are morbidly obese aged 20, have a load of tattoos and then decide to get healthy....? What happens to the tattoos? Because they've been made over stretched skin...

Not sure. What happens to all the stretched skin?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone goes saggy at 40 you know. And maybe, just maybe they wont care what judgmental folk such as abigail thinks of them?

40, 50 does it matter. Still amounts to 30 plus years. Same outcome.

Considering how teenagers and young adults tend to be one of the most judgemental groups of all - often looking down their nose at anyone who doesn't fit in with their little group. who looks different, who dresses differently, thinks differently. Look how the fat kid or the shy kid often get treated at school or college.

Being judgemental is in all of us, for one reason or another, but from my experience - those that protest the most, are often the worst, they just don't see it.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure. What happens to all the stretched skin?
    This reminds me of the "Welcome to Jamaica, have a nice day" joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she looks beautiful, i'm sure some people with tattoos look trampy if no thought or anything has gone into them though.

Isn't that the point. It seems not much thought has gone into that.

Something done as a fashion statement or a bit of fun, or some other reason equally as shallow, and what they think looks nice at the time - often comes back to haunt them many years later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you would rather employ a bunch of mindless drones?

I always think that they look dirty and unwashed.
    Not much body "art" space left to cover. What next when there's no blank canvas left?

Fashion is always changing and evolving, what is popular now will be very dated in the future.
    Only the new upcoming young (clear skin) girls on the block will be fashionable in the future.
    i suspect people with body art wouldn`t want to work for anyone shallow and judgemental. i know i wouldn`t and mine`s easily hidden.
    I'm deep and judgmental!
    It's just a permanent fashion. You wouldn't want to still be wearing your "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX t-shirt from the 80's.

How any times can you cover over your 1990's barbed wire and your 2000's handlebars and lucky stars with your "tribal markings" and endless meaningless quotation graffiti.

Then what?

Full body tattoo in flesh colour!:eek: "Rock that look girlfriend"
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its absolutely dreadful and revolting. Theres nothing at all nice looking about the mess people put all over their bodies.

So called "celebrities" (including footballers) are the cause of a lot of this, with easily lead people thinking how nice it all is & they'd like to look like their "hero".or "heoine". :(
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a matter of personal taste.

They for the most part look awful which is my opinion , so I will probably be called judgemental
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not got one myself, think they look OK on blokes most of the time (not on the neck or above thought) but i cannot stand them on women at all i think they look awful.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I suppose what we are seeing is something that used to be a daring, counter-culture statement, turning into a mainstream, boring sign of utter conformity. Put it this way, the 'inked' people in my immediate family are not the artists and writers, but a bank clerk and a phone monkey for an insurance company. The staid conformists.

Most times, people move with the fashion and are on to the next thing. The irony - and fascination - with this is it is a permanent thing that they can't reverse.

Hogzilla, I think you have hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    simplyjonathansimplyjonathan Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    My stepdad has got some tattoos and wishes that he never got them in the first place! :p