Forum Member
    What is your name

Don't tell him your name, Pike!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nan read her tea leaves and said Clara would be fine.. You wouldn't call an old lady a liar now would you?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    That was more Who support than Karen support (I'd sooner a bad Who actress win than someone from another show) the only good scene she ever did was her last one which I admit was well acted apart from that all she did was sulk and wear dodgy clothing
    People will believe what they want to believe, I guess.

Actress seems popular? Pick out all the people who say they don't like her.
    Actress doesn't seem popular? Pick out all the people who say they like her.
    Turn out of public support for an actress? It's not her that they like.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best thread ever, except ones about Star Trek/Ghosts. Bump!

I think I hear victorian Withnail shouting "SCRUBBER" in the background.

Clearly still the worst companion ever. ;)
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like her either, but it wont be the worst christmas ep, did you not see last year's?

All the Christmas episodes are crapola.
    I really wish they would do away with them and just give us an extra standard episode !! Though these days we are lucky to even get 6 episodes in a year
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please stop and think. We haven't seen her enough yet to hate her, the Amy bashing should stop because your opinion doesn't change everybody else's. I think all the new who companions have been great in their own way. Including Jackie :)
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumping this thread as I've been thinking about how much more I'd be looking forward to series nine if Clara wasn't going to be there. I tried so hard to like her but I have found her absolutely insufferable and I do indeed think she is the worst companion ever. Until Clara came along I didn't think anyone could beat Amy Pond for that "honour" but she makes me think maybe Amy wasn't that bad after all.

I want a companion who is HAPPY about being with the Doctor again, one who truly appreciates the fact that she's got all the universe at her feet. Having to sit through an entire series where the companion did nothing but rant, whinge, wine and even slap/threaten to slap the doctor was such a bloody chore. I'm not saying I want everyone to be happy all the time or there to be no drama as that would be boring but at least give us a companion who realises how lucky they are to be travelling with the doctor and to show a bit of gratitude for it occassionally.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    Bumping this thread as I've been thinking about how much more I'd be looking forward to series nine if Clara wasn't going to be there. I tried so hard to like her but I have found her absolutely insufferable and I do indeed think she is the worst companion ever. Until Clara came along I didn't think anyone could beat Amy Pond for that "honour" but she makes me think maybe Amy wasn't that bad after all.

I want a companion who is HAPPY about being with the Doctor again, one who truly appreciates the fact that she's got all the universe at her feet. Having to sit through an entire series where the companion did nothing but rant, whinge, wine and even slap/threaten to slap the doctor was such a bloody chore. I'm not saying I want everyone to be happy all the time or there to be no drama as that would be boring but at least give us a companion who realises how lucky they are to be travelling with the doctor and to show a bit of gratitude for it occassionally.
    I agree with all of your Clara comments. This post pretty much sums up my feelings on her too, though I would add that you forgot to mention how she basically treated the doctor like an intergalactic chaffeur, expecting him to fit around her life and acting as though he was the one lucky that she was choosing to go with him. I especially agree about wanting a companion who realises how lucky they are. Can't wait until Clara is gone.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it endlessly confusing that she seems to cause such outrage. There's nothing wrong with her! Nice to have a strong woman on the show, though by definition they are very rarely popular.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to having it all again with the next companion. As it is with every Doctor / Writer / Director / Producer / BBC Director of Television / Top Gear host ad infinitum.
    People will believe what they want to believe, I guess.

Actress seems popular? Pick out all the people who say they don't like her.
    Actress doesn't seem popular? Pick out all the people who say they like her.
    Turn out of public support for an actress? It's not her that they like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    I find it endlessly confusing that she seems to cause such outrage. There's nothing wrong with her! Nice to have a strong woman on the show, though by definition they are very rarely popular.

Outrage? There's no outrage here. Just a critical point of view.

I, too, like strong women. However I don't like self important people of which I feel Clara is, as was Amy and as was River Song. In general I have a huge problem with how Moffat writes characters...most of them seem to be so smarmy. and I can't stand that I think the Twelfth doctor only works for me because Peter Capaldi is such a fantastic actor.

If a writer is good then I will love the "strong woman" he is writing. If the writer is bad or mediocore the strong woman will just tend to come across as a bossy, arrogant so and so and I'll utterly loathe them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with all of your Clara comments. This post pretty much sums up my feelings on her too, though I would add that you forgot to mention how she basically treated the doctor like an intergalactic chaffeur, expecting him to fit around her life and acting as though he was the one lucky that she was choosing to go with him. I especially agree about wanting a companion who realises how lucky they are. Can't wait until Clara is gone.

Always nice to have someone "get" your opinions. :)

I agree with your point too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outrage? There's no outrage here. Just a critical point of view.

I, too, like strong women. However I don't like self important people of which I feel Clara is, as was Amy and as was River Song. In general I have a huge problem with how Moffat writes characters...most of them seem to be so smarmy. and I can't stand that I think the Twelfth doctor only works for me because Peter Capaldi is such a fantastic actor.

If a writer is good then I will love the "strong woman" he is writing. If the writer is bad or mediocore the strong woman will just tend to come across as a bossy, arrogant so and so and I'll utterly loathe them.

But it's subjective isn't it. It's fair enough that you aren't a fan, but that doesn't mean the writing is bad.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

+ One Billion. I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sarah Jane Smith was a strong woman, but she was nice. The same for Leela. The same for Romana. The same for Martha Jones. Most of the companion females on the show (especially these days) are strong women.

You don't have to emotionally/physically abuse The Doctor to be a strong woman. However, that seems to be Clara's shtick now that she has played out her "impossible girl" attributes.

You don't make a woman strong by making the man weak. You make them both strong and they will play so well off of each other in the same way that one knife sharpens another.

That is what Sarah Jane and the Fourth Doctor did. That is what Martha Jones and the Tenth Doctor did. That is what Romana and the Fourth Doctor did.

Edit: I, too, cannot wait for Clara to depart.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Sarah Jane Smith was a strong woman, but she was nice. The same for Leela. The same for Romana. The same for Martha Jones. Most of the companion females on the show (especially these days) are strong women.

You don't have to emotionally/physically abuse The Doctor to be a strong woman. However, that seems to be Clara's shtick now that she has played out her "impossible girl" attributes.

You don't make a woman strong by making the man weak. You make them both strong and they will play so well off of each other in the same way that one knife sharpens another.

That is what Sarah Jane and the Fourth Doctor did. That is what Martha Jones and the Tenth Doctor did. That is what Romana and the Fourth Doctor did.

Edit: I, too, cannot wait for Clara to depart.

But if Clara departs, and Moffat is still writing for DW, we'll just get another Moffat version of "a strong woman". Yet more slapping!
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is her last season she has a few episodes to show she is a good companion.
    Suppose to be a cliffhanger at the end of the 11th episode leading into the finale.

If she does leave in a tragic way will make heartbreaking viewing. Doctor will take a while to move on to his next friend. Look forward to finding out who it will be though.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clara Oswald doesn't give a monkey's what any of you think because Clara Oswald knows that the Doctor adores here and would go to Hell And Back for her - literally - despite the slappings, the lying, the double-life and the betrayal on the volcano.

:D
  • Options
    TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have pretty much summed up my thoughts on Clara too. For me she is the least likeable companion since the relaunch, quite possibly the least likeable in all of Who.

I hope she is mellowed down in series 9. It would make it a more satisfying viewing experience.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is very tedious and so is Danny Pink but not the worst that would be Bonnie Langford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No-one's complaining about strong women on the show, just Clara and her annoying overbearing, smug personality in particular.

Kate Stewart for example is a strong woman but in a completely different way where you can see her strengths through intelligence, decisiveness and ability to lead. She proves the point that being to be a 'strong woman' you don't have to be a stroppy mouthy character like Clara.

Also, you say strong women on the show are rarely popular, yet Rose, Donna, and Amy were all strong characters who still have fans to this day. Rose in particular seems to always get a mention in top 10/ top 5 companions ever polls.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martha Jones- a strong woman! I've heard it all now. Good on Freema though .I hear she's actually getting paid work in 2015 despite still trying to act her way out of a paper bag. Quite remarkable .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I never said anything now. Strong woman = can of worms on here then!? Perhaps Clara should undertake some Donna-esque 'epic bantz' or be adorably jobless and without ambition just like Rose. Then she'd be popular with all of you! Yeah. That's a plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wish I never said anything now. Strong woman = can of worms on here then!? Perhaps Clara should undertake some Donna-esque 'epic bantz' or be adorably jobless and without ambition just like Rose. Then she'd be popular with all of you! Yeah. That's a plan.
    The problem is that you tried to imply that having a problem with Clara was akin to having a problem with strong women in the show in general which simply isn't the case. People who dislike Clara dislike her individually and her specific traits. No point getting annoyed because you can't understand why others have a problem with her but you don't, it's called a difference of opinion, and insulting other popular characters that people have said they like isn't exactly going to get anyone to suddenly come around to your way of thinking.