Have I made the right phone choice?

13»

Comments

• tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they charging you for the line rental and insurance as you can usually get the insurance via your bank for around £5?

Tesco do good deals on the S3 + its worth checking if you get a discount with Vodafone, O2 etc to see if you get a discount if you work for a certain company (I get a 20% discount off the line rental working for the company I work for).

My bank doesn't do phone insurance
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bank doesn't do phone insurance

Ok.

Usually they do include it if you upgrade your account to a premium one (its about £5/month).

Sorry what bank were you with as I thought they all did it (we have ours with Barclays and one of my friends has his with Natwest)?

They normally put a lot of other things in with the premium like travel insurance and breakdown cover etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok.

Usually they do include it if you upgrade your account to a premium one (its about £5/month).

Sorry what bank were you with as I thought they all did it (we have ours with Barclays and one of my friends has his with Natwest)?

They normally put a lot of other things in with the premium like travel insurance and breakdown cover etc.

HSBC and they said they didn't do it at all

only contents insurance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HSBC and they said they didn't do it at all

only contents insurance

Ok. Surprised that they did not do it but guess I was just lucky with Barclays doing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this deal on a S3 for £24/month: http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/3/ultimate_300/samsung/i9300/45434168.html?source=webgains&siteid=20363

All you can eat data and 5000 texts but would 300 mins be enough?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Just seen this deal on a S3 for £24/month: http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/3/ultimate_300/samsung/i9300/45434168.html?source=webgains&siteid=20363

You can get the same deal from three for £28pm a month but with 2000 mins. Or from o2 for £26pm and £29 upfront
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

300 minutes is fine

i did want to be on orange though but iguess when i ask for a deal they will say £36 a month :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it you that said that they like Orange for the Orange Wednesdays?

If so I just keep an Orange pay as you go SIM I just use for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update I phoned orange as my account was reset so I could upgrade again

At first they offered me 36 a month with £50 for a handset

I quibbled

Then £41 a month with free handset

Quibbled again and said other networks cheaper so his final offer was 36.90. With 3GB data as I am U24

Not sure whether to cancel 10 a month insurance they added

Made wrong choice didn't I :(
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update I phoned orange as my account was reset so I could upgrade again

At first they offered me 36 a month with £50 for a handset

I quibbled

Then £41 a month with free handset

Quibbled again and said other networks cheaper so his final offer was 36.90. With 3GB data as I am U24

Not sure whether to cancel 10 a month insurance they added

Made wrong choice didn't I :(

I would tell the guy you don't want the upgrade they've offered and then ask to speak to retentions as you want your PAC. Be firm about it, tell them you're going to leave. You may find they'll offer you a better deal. If they don't go elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tell the guy you don't want the upgrade they've offered and then ask to speak to retentions as you want your PAC. Be firm about it, tell them you're going to leave. You may find they'll offer you a better deal. If they don't go elsewhere.

I would 2nd this as well and see what you can get them down to.

Once you request the PAC code they will call you in a couple of days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess the phone is on the way now and too late

I was quite firm earlier and mentioned cheaper deals elsewhere which is why I think I got 10% off
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I would guess the phone is on the way now and too late

I was quite firm earlier and mentioned cheaper deals elsewhere which is why I think I got 10% off

Can I offer a wee bit of advice here, based on my own personal experience?

Im now an iphone user so upgrading is different and i haven't done a non-iphone upgrade for a few years but i can honestly say I have got a mortgage and done deals for every car I've ever owned with less aggro and hassle than almost every phone upgrade I've ever got in my life! That is genuinely not a word of a lie!

Im a fairly nice guy to call centres because i know these guys are just doing as they are told but I found that you have to turn into some kind of monster to get the deal you want!

The first thing i would say is work out which phone you definitely want BEFORE you go for the upgrade. You are meant to be getting the phone YOU want not the one they want to give you. If they are pushing a handset on you there is a reason for that and i would immediately be wary.

Secondly you need to have a realistic idea of what you are worth to the network and how much they will want to keep your business. If you are only giving them £15 a month then they aren't going to be in a hurry to offer you anything special - you just aren't worth it, but if you are a heavy user then you should tailor what you are asking for to reflect that. Work out what you are prepared to pay and how much a month and stick to it.

If you are realistic with the above then you should stick to your guns until you are offered the deal you want.

Ive had the sales dude trying to push a terrible handset onto me as an upgrade while i was wanting the top handset available at the time. He had the nerve to say "What do you want that handset for? You'll never use all the features!" and loads of other examples of what was frankly rudeness but by and large I've always got what i wanted because i knew what i was worth to the network. I actually said to one guy "listen we both one i was going to get what i wanted in the end, why did we have to bugger about and waste each others time?", he pretty much said its just the way they have to do things.

Anyway best of luck and i hope you get what you want in the end!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    OP - The Galaxy S2 WILL GET the Jellybean 4.1.2 Update soon (Samsung said January according to Sammobile). So your phone will be great still.

I have tried it on my S2 when a test version was posted on Sammobile a couple of weeks ago.

The Interface is almost exactly the same as the S3 Jellybean Interface. (S3 Touchwiz)

Also the S2 has excellent battery life on these newer android versions - especially with a official Samsung 2000mAh battery installed (I recommend you get one).
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Can I offer a wee bit of advice here, based on my own personal experience?

Im now an iphone user so upgrading is different and i haven't done a non-iphone upgrade for a few years but i can honestly say I have got a mortgage and done deals for every car I've ever owned with less aggro and hassle than almost every phone upgrade I've ever got in my life! That is genuinely not a word of a lie!

Im a fairly nice guy to call centres because i know these guys are just doing as they are told but I found that you have to turn into some kind of monster to get the deal you want!

The first thing i would say is work out which phone you definitely want BEFORE you go for the upgrade. You are meant to be getting the phone YOU want not the one they want to give you. If they are pushing a handset on you there is a reason for that and i would immediately be wary.

Secondly you need to have a realistic idea of what you are worth to the network and how much they will want to keep your business. If you are only giving them £15 a month then they aren't going to be in a hurry to offer you anything special - you just aren't worth it, but if you are a heavy user then you should tailor what you are asking for to reflect that. Work out what you are prepared to pay and how much a month and stick to it.

If you are realistic with the above then you should stick to your guns until you are offered the deal you want.

Ive had the sales dude trying to push a terrible handset onto me as an upgrade while i was wanting the top handset available at the time. He had the nerve to say "What do you want that handset for? You'll never use all the features!" and loads of other examples of what was frankly rudeness but by and large I've always got what i wanted because i knew what i was worth to the network. I actually said to one guy "listen we both one i was going to get what i wanted in the end, why did we have to bugger about and waste each others time?", he pretty much said its just the way they have to do things.

Anyway best of luck and i hope you get what you want in the end!

You're not with Three are you? :p From what i've heard that's their new routine to upgrade customers, even i had to cancel one of my family members contracts as the guy on the phone could only discount a Europa and no other phone. (wanted the S3 at the time) and so we just cancelled and went for a cheaper deal.

@ OP

It's up to you what you want to do now. You can still return the phone within 14 days as long as you don't open it/can still reject delivery. But it looks like it might be too much hassle for you.

Just a few things though.

-That £36.90 is more than a new customer would pay if they walked into the Orange shop right now for a brand new contract with the mins/texts/data you need. 3GB data is standard for all U24. I don't think they gave you 10% off. I could buy an S3 on a better plan than yours for £26pm (with 1GB Data) right now. Thats £10pm less.

-In your first post you say you pay £7pm insurance, now you pay £10pm insurance. Are they serious? I'm not sure how they quite talked you into that one? There is no way you should be paying more, or even that much for insurance on that phone at all.

-You should have stood firm and asked for your pac code, gone through to retentions/waited for a call back. Like i say, asking for your pac code means nothing. It does not cancel your contract, it does nothing. The only time your pac code does anything is when you give it to a different network you signed up to. Plus you might have got lucky and the guy may have offered you a better deal because you wanted to leave.

-You were paying £47pm before, you're paying £47pm now. Everyone here + yourself admitted you were paying too much and getting royally ripped off. Why continue for the next 2 years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all an update typed from the galaxy s3 that i received and opened

i was talking on fb about my new phone and a friend revealed he works for orange and is going to see if he can use staff discount to knock 40 % off my line rental