Films rarely on tv and dvd

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    lombard wrote: »
    Does it present the violence as a good thing?

No, of course not. That has not, however, stopped activists complaining about the portrayal of violence against women. The producers of The Fall came in for some aggro from the usual Guardianista lobby recently. OK it's just The Guardian but broadcasters seem to be increasingly nervous about any criticism, no matter how small the number of complainants.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Youre quite right - silly me :) But would still like a DVD release of this film or Russels Whicked Lady.
    Iv'e just bought a DVD of The Medusa Touch starring Richard Burton, not seen this for years, paid £2.00 for it in a charity shop.

From confusing Roeg with Russell, to Russell with Winner! The Wicked Lady was directed by Mr Michael Winner, not Russell. That was shown on ITV a couple of times, though from what I've read on the net over the years it was the BBFC-cut video version. Fortunately I found the original, uncut pre-cert release in a Cash Generator and so I get to see Marina Sirtis having her dress whipped off by Faye Dunaway in full :p

Russell was actually mooted to do a Moll Flanders film in his final few years, but it never came to pass.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars (1977) - You don't get the see that anymore. They only ever tend to show the remastered version from 1997 where George Lucas went back in & put in monsters where there were previously people & spruced up the special effects etc.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Never see any versions of The Blob on tv. Not sure if the new version has ever been shown (Kevin Dillon version)

the remake has been on , long time ago tho .
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time 'The Life of Brian' was shown while there's no shortage of 'The Meaning of Life'

I confess that I have the DVD but it would be nice to see it on TV so it's a bit of an event.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Star Wars (1977) - You don't get the see that anymore. They only ever tend to show the remastered version from 1997 where George Lucas went back in & put in monsters where there were previously people & spruced up the special effects etc.

A version of the original 1977 Star Wars is around out there.

If you go here http://www.honortheforce.com/single-post/2016/07/27/Despecialized-The-Original-Trilogy-Theatrical-Cuts-in-HD

The article talks about how a despecialized edition was created using as much original footage as possible.
  • Cory_Osborn2Cory_Osborn2 Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Confessions Films are never on anymore.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time 'The Life of Brian' was shown while there's no shortage of 'The Meaning of Life'

I confess that I have the DVD but it would be nice to see it on TV so it's a bit of an event.

I think Channel 4 showed it a few years ago.

There seem to be less films in general on the five main channels than there used to be, particularly old ones. Channel 4 abandoned the afternoon matinee years ago.
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned The Blob - it was actually on last week on the Talking Pictures TV channel.

(the original Blob, btw)
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    A lot of Atom Egoyan's film don't seem to be shown on TV. I haven't seen "The Sweet Hereafter" shown on TV. I'm guessing that somebody like Channel 4 would have had the rights to it. Was it ever shown on UK TV?

Also, never see films like "Blood Simple" or "Fargo" shown on UK TV nowadays? I know they have in the past.

LOL. I know further back people mentioned "Soul Man". Last time that was shown on late night BBC 1 some time in the 1990s.
  • WLTDYMUTAWLTDYMUTA Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I would really like to see Blue Money again Tim Curry and Billy Conelly very funny as I remember.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Ironclads/ Between Two Woman-farrah Afwcett/ Stand Alone- Charles Durning/ The Vision- Lee Remick/ Alone In The Dark- Martin Landau / Paint It Black- Martin Landau / High Ice- David Janssenn / Link /
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for Hawks 1988 on DVD let alone bluray.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    A lot of Atom Egoyan's film don't seem to be shown on TV. I haven't seen "The Sweet Hereafter" shown on TV. I'm guessing that somebody like Channel 4 would have had the rights to it. Was it ever shown on UK TV?

I remember seeing it on BBC 2 several years ago. They've also shown Felicia's Journey and Where the Truth lies.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,690
    Forum Member
    El Condor - Seventies western, starring Jim Brown and Lee Van Cleef

From Noon Till Three - Another seventies western, starring Charles Bronson

Wrath Of God - Yet another seventies western, starring Robert Mitchum

Dirty Dingus Magee - Yup, another seventies western, staring Frank Sinatra

Hannie Caulder - You guessed it, a seventies western, starring Raquel Welch

Hmmm, I seem to detect a pattern here.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    The Confessions Films are never on anymore.

All of the Confessions films were once shown on Channel 5 every weekend back in the late 1990's. Sadly they haven't been shown since.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fright Night Part 2 (1988) - The original gets shown often, the remake turns up on BBC occasionally and I'm sure the 'sequel/remake' to the remake will show up from time to time soon but never the original sequel. IIRC it's something to do with who owns the rights but would love to see this again sometime. There was a DVD released in the states a while back but it's bloody expensive if found!! (and I want HD anyway)

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963): The Roadshow version - I had this in a laserdisc boxset years ago and AFAIK it's the only time this version has ever been released for home viewing. would be nice to see it again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Fright Night Part 2 (1988) - The original gets shown often, the remake turns up on BBC occasionally and I'm sure the 'sequel/remake' to the remake will show up from time to time soon but never the original sequel. IIRC it's something to do with who owns the rights but would love to see this again sometime. There was a DVD released in the states a while back but it's bloody expensive if found!! (and I want HD anyway)

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963): The Roadshow version - I had this in a laserdisc boxset years ago and AFAIK it's the only time this version has ever been released for home viewing. would be nice to see it again

Can I ask what a Roadshow Version is?
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Wings Of Desire ever been on TV? I have seen the American remake City of Angels with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan. They have also shown other Wim Wenders films such as Paris Texas, The Million Dollar Hotel, Buena Vista Social Club and The End Of Violence but I have never seen the original German language film Wings Of Desire with Peter Falk and Bruno Graz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask what a Roadshow Version is?

I'm sure someone can provide a better explanation than me but AFAIK it was the original 'longer' cut of the film (including things like longer intermissions) that was originally released in a small amount of cinemas in larger towns before a shortened version did the rounds at cinemas around the country. The roadshow viewings were more of an event as it were than regular screenings.

It was used more for films like IAMMMMW, Ben Hur, Cleopatra (basically the 'Epics') than for regular length films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    I'm sure someone can provide a better explanation than me but AFAIK it was the original 'longer' cut of the film (including things like longer intermissions) that was originally released in a small amount of cinemas in larger towns before a shortened version did the rounds at cinemas around the country. The roadshow viewings were more of an event as it were than regular screenings.

It was used more for films like IAMMMMW, Ben Hur, Cleopatra (basically the 'Epics') than for regular length films.

Ah. Thanks

I have the DVD of IAMMMMW and I was very happy to see that it has the full intermission. Since the film was edited specifically to have an intermission at that point, I never fast forward through it :)

Its a great copy.
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't seem to show Vice Versa any more, just Freaky Friday and Big.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    They don't seem to show Vice Versa any more, just Freaky Friday and Big.

Caught that on one of the Freeview channels recently. I think it was on Film 4 but can't say for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah. Thanks

I have the DVD of IAMMMMW and I was very happy to see that it has the full intermission. Since the film was edited specifically to have an intermission at that point, I never fast forward through it :)

Its a great copy.

If you have a Blu-Ray player I would heartily recommend the BR disc available in the US. It's region free and looks GLORIOUS. To look at it you would not think it's over 50 years old now!!! There's also a Criterion version but I think that is region locked.