Norton for Windows 8

:o have just purchased Norton 360 off the internet ( ebay- new) It said windows 8 compatable but it wont run, contacted the seller who said it will if I download windows 7 first.
Is this right . If so how do I do this please- major PC newbe

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be a pre-Windows 8 version of the N360 (version 5 or earlier) . You should be able to download the latest version (version 6) from http://updatecenter.norton.com/Manual/ChooseProduct
    The license key will work on the latest version.

Installing Windows 7 sounds a drastic step suggested by the Ebay seller. Don't even consider that, just to install Norton!

Even if you don't succeed in installing N360. Windows 8 has basic security built in so you're not totally unprotected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply Psionic,

I brought this one as it said it was windows 8 compatable
    V 6?? I think- But W 8 not mentioned on the box and seller just keeps saying it will work fine if I download W 7, which after your advice there is no way I'm even going to try.
    The inbuilt protection turned off when I put a Norton 60 Trial on, do you know how to turn it back on.

I really wish I'd gone to Norton on Line :( but ebay loads cheaper.
    i
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try and remove the trial version using NRT https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us;jsessionid=4D5F26FDF57C3E57D97E06CDFAD335F3.4?product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1 this should return Windows security back to defaults. Then download and install the latest N360 from the link earlier.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Psionic,

I brought this one as it said it was windows 8 compatable
    V 6?? I think- But W 8 not mentioned on the box and seller just keeps saying it will work fine if I download W 7, which after your advice there is no way I'm even going to try.
    The inbuilt protection turned off when I put a Norton 60 Trial on, do you know how to turn it back on.

I really wish I'd gone to Norton on Line :( but ebay loads cheaper.
    i

"seller just keeps saying it will work fine if I download W 7". That's just rubbish. Ask for your money back.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I really personally dont see the need to purchase anti virus software in this day and age. There are plenty of free suites out there.

I know brand name = piece of mind, but I find that they interfere far too much.

I think there are foure well known anti virus suites compatible with Windows 8. Bit defender, Avast, Panda Cloud (my personal choice....like a little guardian angel) and Windows Defender (from Microsoft, comes built in but damn does it slow the machine down). As for firewalls, every modern router has a hardware firewall built in which does more than enough to protect the PC. You can test this by going to the Shields Up website.

soon as I get a new lappy, Mcafee or Norton comes right off.

Bottom line is, if you cant get Norton working, dont worry too much. Try one of those four, Panda I would go for, and say Malwarebytes Free edition (don't enable the trial, decline it) and I guarantee that as long as you are proactive in protecting your machine, you wont go wrong.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8 and Norton ... dear god ... why would you do that to yourself.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Can you download a demo version of Norton 360 and then where it has Subscription Status select renew hopefully you can then enter the product key there.