Sky paying me £2.50 a month to watch movies

TUCKBOXTUCKBOX Posts: 219
Forum Member
Thought i'd share this with you all as it might be worth a phone call.

I subscribe to the entertainment, sports and movies packages and with two multi rooms currently pay £86 a month. Thinking this was all getting a bit costly, my Wife and I decided to ditch the movies in order to save £8 monthly.

Subsequently I called on Friday, intending to do just that and I wasn't looking for any deals or negotiation at all. To my pleasant surprise and without prompting, the Guy offered me half price sports for 6 months if I kept the movies.

In effect this left me with the straight choice of dropping the movies and saving £8 per month or keeping them and saving £10.50 per month. Not a difficult choice that one!

One proviso is that come the end of the six month offer I am tied in to stay with sky for at least 6 months on any package. I have no intention of leaving sky so that's not a problem for me.

Anyway i thought i'd share.

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so your previous monthly cost was £86pm.
    what is it now? seems like it is £96.50pm, how are you better off exactly? (you're paying £10.50pm extra for half price sports, and still paying £8pm for movies).
  • TUCKBOXTUCKBOX Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Apologies..... wrong forum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which forum should it have been in then?
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    so your previous monthly cost was £86pm.
    what is it now? seems like it is £96.50pm, how are you better off exactly? (you're paying £10.50pm extra for half price sports, and still paying £8pm for movies).

No i'm paying 75.50.... 86 minus 10.50
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUCKBOX wrote: »
    No i'm paying 75.50.... 86 minus 10.50

but sports is £21pm. and you're getting it for half price which is £10.50pm. you're still subscribed to movies too at £8pm.

you said they offered you sports for half price for 6 months if you didn't drop movies - so that means paying an extra £10.50pm for sports that you didn't have previously.
    Forum Member
    which forum should it have been in then?

Apologies again!! I'm not very familiar with the layout. After I posted I thought I was in a section devoted to sky anytime:o
    Forum Member
    but sports is £21pm. and you're getting it for half price which is £10.50pm. you're still subscribed to movies too at £8pm.

you said they offered you sports for half price for 6 months if you didn't drop movies - so that means paying an extra £10.50pm for sports that you didn't have previously.

Yes, as you say, I pay 21 for sport and 8 for movies. Now for six months i'm still paying the 8 pound for movies but only 10.50 for sport..... Saving 10.50 a month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUCKBOX wrote: »
    Yes, as you say, I pay 21 for sport and 8 for movies. Now for six months i'm still paying the 8 pound for movies but only 10.50 for sport..... Saving 10.50 a month.

ah right, you already had sports.
    Forum Member
    ah right, you already had sports.

Yes. I did say that in my opening post. ;)
  • scotorcascotorca Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Can't believe anyone would pay that every month just to watch some T.V.! It's amazing how TV has moved on over a few decades, from a handfull of channels for free, to hundreds for what is a lot of money for some. That amount is a weeks rent, or a car loan payment for some. I was paying £50 per month until this month, and after I figured out how much it has cost me for the last 10 years, I bought a Freesat Box, and will hopefully be content with that.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotorca wrote: »
    Can't believe anyone would pay that every month just to watch some T.V.! It's amazing how TV has moved on over a few decades, from a handfull of channels for free, to hundreds for what is a lot of money for some. That amount is a weeks rent, or a car loan payment for some. I was paying £50 per month until this month, and after I figured out how much it has cost me for the last 10 years, I bought a Freesat Box, and will hopefully be content with that.

That's the great thing about choice, I have a mate who always tells me how Sky is a ripoff whilst he stands there smoking. Of course he spends more on killing himself a month than I do on Sky....But hey
  • scotorcascotorca Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    That's the great thing about choice, I have a mate who always tells me how Sky is a ripoff whilst he stands there smoking. Of course he spends more on killing himself a month than I do on Sky....But hey

Yes, we could all criticise others on how much they pay to watch TV, but hey we could be wasting even more on drugs, alcohol, vice, holidays etc!
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotorca wrote: »
    Yes, we could all criticise others on how much they pay to watch TV, but hey we could be wasting even more on drugs, alcohol, vice, holidays etc!
    Or alternatively, "we" could just shut up and mind 'our' own business; accepting that freedom of choice is exactly what it says on the tin.
  • KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I love my SKY TV. I have everything except the Sports as I just do not like sports in any form.

I have two SKY HD Boxes, Multi-room and HD which I watch on two 42" LG HD TV's and the price I pay I think is a fair amount for the entertainment I receive 24 hours a day.

Being disabled I do not get out much and my TV is my window to the outside world. My only extravagance is what I pay SKY and for me it is worth every penny.

Well done SKY and Thank You !