The Mimic (Terry Mynott) C4

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something quite hot about younger men that have gone grey.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to like it but..... hmmm..... not convinced (especially by his David Attenborough!!)
  • heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Attenborough? :D
  • demfedemfe Posts: 15,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    John Major, anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

I love grey hair :o
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Attenborough? :D

He did a better impersonation of DA on Steve Wright, but this is not an impressions show, it's a comedy drama with impressions thrown in, It's about his long-lost son and how he tries to bond with him...
  • heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    He did a better impersonation of DA on Steve Wright, but this is not an impressions show, it's a comedy drama with impressions thrown in, It's about his long-lost son and how he tries to bond with him...

I thought it was pretty good. :) I'll definitely be watching next week, I love a (hopefully) good Arnie impression!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    demfe wrote: »
    John Major, anyone?

Phillip Schofield :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    It seems to have a good story/writing and his impressions are good, he is cute too :o

..his Vince Vaughn was very good too actually.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I think his voices are crap! Really bad!

His Ronnie Corbet was the worst, but the others not much better.

He gets one or two words right and then just loses it.

I don't think this will be launching his career.

I agree that as impressionism goes I've heard better, but to me it fitted the vibe of the show. This is meant to be some ordinary bloke with an ordinary job who can't help impersonating other people wherever he goes. To me it kind of seems better if the impersonations aren't mind-blowing. Not that I'm suggesting he's doing them badly for the purposes of the character he's playing, but sometimes the limitations of something are what ends up making it work.

Personally I liked it in a quirky kind of way (I thought the music was well done in creating the atmosphere.) There was a bit too much humour based around cringey situations for my liking, but that's just me.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    I agree that as impressionism goes I've heard better, but to me it fitted the vibe of the show. This is meant to be some ordinary bloke with an ordinary job who can't help impersonating other people wherever he goes. To me it kind of seems better if the impersonations aren't mind-blowing. Not that I'm suggesting he's doing them badly for the purposes of the character he's playing, but sometimes the limitations of something are what ends up making it work.

Personally I liked it in a quirky kind of way (I thought the music was well done in creating the atmosphere.) There was a bit too much humour based around cringey situations for my liking, but that's just me.

Spot on! ;)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    That was alright, tone was just right too IMO.
    This is the tone Sue Perkins Heading Out probably had before they tried to sitcom it up.

The Newsagent is going to develop too, which will be OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic! The right blend of pathos and humour.

The music was sperb, adding to the melancolic feel.

Looking forward to next week.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Newsagent is going to develop too, which will be OK.
    Yeah, it was fun seeing arby from Utopia in it. That was probably the best scene in it for me. I hope he's a regular feature in this.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of you see the preview of next week's show, right at the end?

It cracked me up! "It means she's got a brown dog". :D:D:D
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking he reminds me of someone, an older version of Aaron. :D

:D thanks I am glad it wasn't just me. Deffo older Aaron:)
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    demfe wrote: »
    think I'm going to fnd Jean really annoying - in the same way i found ashley jenson (sp?) in extras

My thoughts exactly.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read all this thread, I'll definitely give it another go next week.

Maybe I missed the point, it seemed quite good in the adverts and it's not exactly unlike me to miss the point lol
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, although I think someone doing impressions all the time in their everyday life would be extremely annoying!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will watch it as I enjoyed the sketch show of Very Important People he did with Morgana Robinson.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this gentle comedy. The only thing that might bother me is the continual impressions if they are kept up at the present rate. Not that I think they are bad it's just that they may well get on my nerves - as with some well-known mimics who don't know when to stop.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would actually prefer it without the impressions which tbh aren't the greatest. Sitting trying to guess who he was doing really distracted me from what was happening with the story. As a normal comedy drama I would have enjoyed it more or even if there were less impressions.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gave it a shot,but sadly,another one that
    is just not for me.Aimless was the word
    that came to mind....
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    That was not what I was expecting :( I didn't really know who half the people he was imitating but will be watching for the scrummy Terry :eek::o

Could not believe how young the bloke in the newsagent looked from The Football Factory :eek:
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    That was not what I was expecting :( I didn't really know who half the people he was imitating but will be watching for the scrummy Terry :eek::o

Could not believe how young the bloke in the newsagent looked from The Football Factory :eek:

And a slightly different character from the one he played in Utopia!:D