Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 3)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,836
Administrator
cb86 wrote: »
I agree that Steve was probably involved in the Sandbrook pendant theft... the media coverage of that theft would have given him a sense of grief and guilt which he would want to rectify by a) going straight, and b) helping Hardy (who the media believed to be at fault). If he's not genuinely psychic, he could obviously help Hardy by listening to calls in the aftermath of the murder, but he wouldn't be able to reveal his source of information (for fear of being sacked), therefore he would disguise it as receiving psychic messages. The stuff about Danny being okay is probably pure invention to help a grieving mother feel more at ease. And I suspect the line about Danny not wanting his family to know the identity of his killer suggests that it is someone within the family itself, or, perhaps more likely, its about wanting to protect Tom (i.e. the killer being him and/or Joe). But Steve may be incorrect in his conclusions. He may have heard snippets from phone calls and made incorrect assumptions. I don't think his character is the murderer. Then again, I don't think he's psychic. And why would the killer reveal anything over the phone? To who? If so, it suggests there are two killers or two people concealing crucial evidence. At this stage I'm going to have to say either Mark and Nige, or Tom and Joe. Then again, Tom and Joe would have no need to talk on the phone... and whatever Tom is hiding on his computer he would surely make his Dad aware of. Which puts Nige and Mark back in the frame, but the question would then be what is Tom hiding that makes him so nervous? Why would he want to protect Mark and Nige?

I dont think we're going to get satisfactory answers to every question. The show has been too concerned with red herrings and setting up mistrust for it to make 100% sense. Case in point, why did Susan give Tom the skateboard? Because she wanted to be arrested? Why not just go into the police with the info she had off her own back? Why, after being arrested, which she would have known would happen as a result of handing in the skateboard, did she deny she had seen anyone with the body? She said she had merely seen the body at first, not who left it. Find a plausible conclusion to that probable plot hole and you're doing well. There will be many more, I'm sure. We're assuming everything is going to make sense after tonight. I just don't see how it can. From what we know, my final two suspects have to be Joe and Mark. Then again, has anybody considered SOCO Brian? Seriously ;)

One of these three things must surely be true: either Susan is lying, Nige dumped Danny's body on the beach, or Joe dumped Danny's body on the beach. If Susan is lying, we can assume its her. If she isn't, either Nige or Joe are at least involved. If Joe is involved, we can assume it relates to Tom (who we know from the reports didn't strangle Danny), and that he probably is the killer. If Nige is involved, I'd say its something to do with Mark. I don't think, from what we've seen revealed so far, that Nige will be the actual killer. Then again, during his phone call from the police station, Mark told him to "tell the truth". This suggests Mark knows nothing of any Nige involvement.

At the end of the last episode, Hardy was distressed by the content of that email. It suggests it not only contains something big, but also that whatever it is has shocked him and will be very difficult to deal with. That rules out Nige because why would Hardy be so distressed to find something implicates him? Hardy WANTS to find the killer. If it was someone he had previously suspected, his reaction would surely have been something more like "of course! YES! Gotcha!" That reaction, to me, suggested one of two things - certainty that Joe/Ellie/Tom was involved, or certainty that Mark was involved. I could understand him being distressed by Mark's involvement, but not by Susan, Nige, the Vicar etc.

Basically, I don't see how it can't be Joe. But then again, if it is, we have no idea of the motive, other than it connecting Tom. I don't like siding with the favourite. But the fact that we have no motive and no evidence to link him really means he's the favourite by unconventional methods. The bookies have looked at where the money has been going, and the money has been placed on him because all those placing money know their whodunnits and understand its more likely to be someone low-key, previously unsuspected.

For me, if it's not Joe, I'll bet you any money ITV filmed a couple of different endings... choosing the one fewest people would suspect shortly before transmission.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1815804

Comments

• Options
      xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      From the other thread - what if they show us multiple possible endings and we have to decide the right one? :)
    • Options
      WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Happy New Thread everyone.:D

I get the feeling that after tonight's episode we'll be on part 4 by this time tomorrow.....:D
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Damn. New thread. Was going to quote the post about the ''watch till the very end'' tweet.

Could it be the names of the actor and actress who play the young girl and boy are given. The ones we see at the start of ep 7. So it will say young Hardy....., young Ellie..... Something like that. And will shed light on something that isn't explained in the show.

One thing about episode 1. The cast at the end are given in the order of appearance. Oskar McNamara is named first even though he appears third on screen. After Mark and Beth are shown in bed. This is a clue that the scene when we see Danny is set before 3:20am. The time when we see Beth and Mark in bed. Just goes to show how sly Chibnall is. Wouldn't surprise me if Chibnall uses the credits again like this. Hope the continuity announcer isn't jabbering away at the end.
    • Options
      SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,704
      Forum Member
      Way behind the movement, so replying to posts on the last thread which closed while I was typing.
      Voodoosock wrote: »
      ....I don't like Chloe at all. She and Dean were very quick to blame jack...

There's something about her that I don't like.
      The scene where her parents found her at the farm where Dean lives, dancing to the music and seemingly care free? on the one hand that could be just as she explained it, that Dean wanted to do something nice for her, something to relieve the strain, which is understandable, after all she's young herself - on the other hand, it could be seen as completely callous and although she's young, that hasn't stopped her being involved with drugs and knowing about her father and Becca's affair.
      Yera wrote: »
      I am so pleased there has been no spoiler leaked- it has made the show worth watching and I have loved all the different theories on here

Me too, it's such a good change to having everything out there before the event.
      dec7000 wrote: »
      What if Susan is an out and out liar? A very convincing liar!

Quite the possibility. After all so many have jumped to conclusions. I suppose we have to accept that Jack's death was indeed suicide, although there are too many unresolved thoughts about that for me. Many also thought Nige had actually killed Vince, despite the fact that wasn't what we saw at the end of that episode.
      Is the script leading us to make too many assumptions?

I know everyone seemed to heap praise on PQ's performance as she told her back history. Parts of it were very good, but for me, the constant nodding of her head really distracted me and it came across as self affirming her story, a bit like when someone says 'No, yes blah blah whatever'
      It didn't sit right.
      topdog2006 wrote: »
      BellaRosa wrote: »
      Just looked and it's on for 5 mins extra :confused: that's weird!

I'm glad for the heads up.
      Usually I sit in the evening with the laptop nearby and watch and look at my screen from time to time.
      Tonight the lap top will be away and I'll be paying full attention from the minute it starts until the next programme comes on.
      One thing that keeps coming back into my mind is that in most of the publicity shots from the beach, Mark is facing in line with his family, but in one or two I've seen he's facing away.
      Tom and Joe are the only pair turned in towards each other
      Voodoosock wrote: »
      ....I don't like Chloe at all. She and Dean were very quick to blame jack...

There's something about her that I don't like.
      The scene where her parents found her at the farm where Dean lives, dancing to the music and seemingly care free? on the one hand that could be just as she explained it, that Dean wanted to do something nice for her, something to relieve the strain, which is understandable, after all she's young herself - on the other hand, it could be seen as completely callous and although she's young, that hasn't stopped her being involved with drugs and knowing about her father and Becca's affair.
      Yera wrote: »
      I am so pleased there has been no spoiler leaked- it has made the show worth watching and I have loved all the different theories on here

Me too, it's such a good change to having everything out there before the event.
      dec7000 wrote: »
      What if Susan is an out and out liar? A very convincing liar!

Quite the possibility. After all so many have jumped to conclusions. I suppose we have to accept that Jack's death was indeed suicide, although there are too many unresolved thoughts about that for me. Many also thought Nige had actually killed Vince, despite the fact that wasn't what we saw at the end of that episode.
      Is the script leading us to make too many assumptions?

I know everyone seemed to heap praise on PQ's performance as she told her back history. Parts of it were very good, but for me, the constant nodding of her head really distracted me and it came across as self affirming her story, a bit like when someone says 'No, yes blah blah whatever'
      It didn't sit right.
      topdog2006 wrote: »
      BellaRosa wrote: »
      Just looked and it's on for 5 mins extra :confused: that's weird!

I'm glad for the heads up.
      Usually I sit in the evening with the laptop nearby and watch and look at my screen from time to time.
      Tonight the lap top will be away and I'll be paying full attention from the minute it starts until the next programme comes on.
      One thing that keeps coming back into my mind is that in most of the publicity shots from the beach, Mark is facing in line with his family, but in one or two I've seen he's facing away.
      Tom and Joe are the only pair turned in towards each other
      Photo
      - although, you could make a slight case for Susan and Becca being positioned the same way - well, more or less.
      No idea if that means anything at all or if it's totally random.
      - although, you could make a slight case for Susan and Becca being positioned the same way - well, more or less.
      No idea if that means anything at all or if it's totally random.
    • Options
      kikifikikifi Posts: 326
      Forum Member
      Could it be Beth's baby being born? Allowing latimers some closure? Seems to be a crucial storyline and would be strange if still pregnant at the end. E.g. Some posters say miscarriage as a potential
    • Options
      topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
      Forum Member
      With regards to those wondering about it ending on a cliffhanger/multiple endings etc. Chris Chibnall has said pretty explicitly that the storylines will be tied up in the final episode, no ambiguity or continuations. He wrote this purely as a standalone series.
    • Options
      RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I'm staying off this thread until after the show...afraid someone might post a spoiler.

Hope you all enjoy it and are satisfied with the ending.:)

My suspects have changed places. I think they are:

Nige & Joe. Steve is now the outsider, because he witnessed it.

Mark is heavily involved in some shenanigans involving most of the town folk....
    • Options
      boozysuzieboozysuzie Posts: 96
      Forum Member
      Coming back to the end of ep7 I think the scene starting with us seeing Tom awake and in the top he wore in ep1 I think the writer is showing what these characters were doing when Danny is killed.

With regards to Joe & Tom being the killers I just don't agree. If I had murdered someone because they were being nasty to my son or had found out about something, I wouldn't leave it up to my son to delete the messages or emails I would make sure there is nothing discriminatory left to be found by the police.

If Danny was murdered which I doubt I have no idea who did it because we are not being told everything and as Chris has said there are many red herrings.

I can't wait till tonight it has been a fab series :-)
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
      Forum Member
      i cannot remember where i read it but i saw somewhere that no one knows who the killer is apart from the writers, they did about 4 or 5 different endings and not even the actors know yet, i hope this is true because i saw some spoilers on someones twitter!
    • Options
      MissSylviaMissSylvia Posts: 77
      Forum Member
      Another Promo just gone up
      blood on someones hands....but whose hands?

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cs7620.jpg
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
      Forum Member
      boozysuzie wrote: »
      Coming back to the end of ep7 I think the scene starting with us seeing Tom awake and in the top he wore in ep1 I think the writer is showing what these characters were doing when Danny is killed.

With regards to Joe & Tom being the killers I just don't agree. If I had murdered someone because they were being nasty to my son or had found out about something, I wouldn't leave it up to my son to delete the messages or emails I would make sure there is nothing discriminatory left to be found by the police.

If Danny was murdered which I doubt I have no idea who did it because we are not being told everything and as Chris has said there are many red herrings.

I can't wait till tonight it has been a fab series :-)

BIB - I agree - Joe has seemed totally unbothered by evidence if it IS him. He's either completely innocent or is confident that he has destroyed all evidence there is.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
      Forum Member
      going through all the episodes again, they found blood in the hut near the door so to me it might be danny was peeping out the door watching something maybe? or even hiding like he was being chased, i really think that the sandbrook killings ellies sister and ollie all have something to do with it, but i cant work out why they put him on a boat and left his body there, the skateboard was there to maybe seem like he skated off the cliffs and was an accident, its all to confusing

ALSO
      at the very beginning the alarm clock was broken and was stopped on 3:20... maybe marks done this for some reason? or even chloe
    • Options
      MissSylviaMissSylvia Posts: 77
      Forum Member
      And another :O:O

http://i34.tinypic.com/8yf0g0.jpg
      Whose house is that?

This is going to be epic
    • Options
      sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      In last week's episode, did the Vicar ring Hardy's mobile or was it someone passing on a message to Hardy about Tom's laptop?:confused: Hardy also asked the IT guy to send the info he found on Tom's computer to his personal email.:confused:
    • Options
      ChuhChuh Posts: 15,589
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      MissSylvia wrote: »
      Another Promo just gone up
      blood on someones hands....but whose hands?

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cs7620.jpg
      to me that looks like a child and adult hand... Could just be the angle though!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      sandydune wrote: »
      In last week's episode, did the Vicar ring Hardy's mobile or was it someone passing on a message to Hardy about Tom's laptop?:confused: Hardy also asked the IT guy to send the info he found on Tom's computer to his personal email.:confused:

I thought it was Vicar who rang Hardy. He was ready with the box when Hardy walked up to the church.
    • Options
      21CenturyCircus21CenturyCircus Posts: 2,697
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I have thought Peep Show Sophie was involved since day one. I continue to do so...

Less than 8 hours to go!
    • Options
      sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I thought it was Vicar who rang Hardy. He was ready with the box when Hardy walked up to the church.
      So the phone Hardy was using must be his workphone if he gave the Vicar his phone number :confused:
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Talk of ''watch to the end'' has reminded me of the Black Adder final scene. Hope the Broadchurch finale is as memorable.

I wonder how Chibnall and the rest are feeling right now. Confident or nervous. I don't think any one of them could have envisaged the acclaim this show would get when they set out making this.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
      Forum Member
      Can someone PM me a detailed write up of what happened in last mondays episode because i go to a stupid boarding school with internet restictions and cant catch up but want to try and watch the finale tonight but not get too confused. cheers very muchly if this is possible :)
    • Options
      researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      ITV have tweeted a link to the results of the DS poll, which leads me to believe the killer isn't one of the faves. If people had guessed correctly on that poll, I doubt they'd draw attention to it :D
    • Options
      ddmatt05ddmatt05 Posts: 122
      Forum Member
      Just rewatching last weeks episode and wondering now if Susan's daughter being in Broadchurch can be discounted as surely the daughter would at least have the memory of what her mum looked liked and surely would see some sort of resemblance??

Also just to throw in on the 'Jude' theory again. Very thin but Jude the child who murders his half siblings and hangs himself in the book was growing up in Australia before coming back to England. Is Becca another reference to the book by the writer?? Also Jude the child in the book, his birth mothers name is Arabella, could that be the Ellie connection - Arabella/Ella/Ellie??
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      sandydune wrote: »
      So the phone Hardy was using must be his workphone if he gave the Vicar his phone number :confused:

Hardy's phone rang. He says something like ''Yeah, I'll be right over''

So the Vicar phoned him direct or the Vicar phoned the copshop and they passed his message on.

Next we see Hardy walking towards the church and Paul is ready for him.

Haven't been keeping track of Hardy's phones. So don't know about work and home phones.

At first I thought Paul was getting ready to dump the laptop and Hardy caught him by surprise. But it looks like Paul is ready for Hardy and isn't surprised. Add the phone call and it seems to me Rev. got in touch with Hardy.
    • Options
      AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Wow - part 3?? I've never known a one-off drama to create this much interest on here before!

Really looking forward to finding out tonight but I'm going to be gutted when it's all over :(
    • Options
      aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Hardy's phone rang. He says something like ''Yeah, I'll be right over''

So the Vicar phoned him direct or the Vicar phoned the copshop and they passed his message on.

Next we see Hardy walking towards the church and Paul is ready for him.

Haven't been keeping track of Hardy's phones. So don't know about work and home phones.

Never having been involved in something like this in real life - would the Police give out cards with their names/contact info on if they were talking to people routinely?

A kind of reverse Columbo - if you think of another thing, contact me? :o