Do trailers show too much of films?

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
Recently Ive noticed with films such as Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness that the trailers for these films have shown action scenes from the end of the film and sometimes most of the actions scenes from the film.Is this too much exposure and would people like a little bit left as a suprise or are people happy seeing so much of the film in the trailer before they see the film itself?

Comments

• DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Hate when that happens thats why kind of avoid trailers now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Yes, Ive stopped watching trailers. I dont mind teasers but full length trailers show far too much. I managed to avoid both the Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness trailers thankfully.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing as as bad as Doctor Who. Once you see the trailers, there's hardly any point in watching the ep!

But yes, they show way too much. But i can't help watching them. Usually cos i'm excited, and the release date can be up to 6 months away.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. For major releases, I mostly stick with teaser trailers these days. I'm starting to extend this rule to lesser known films after one trailer accidentally reveals the identity of a mysterious killer (there's a shot of the shadowed killer standing in a bedroom doorway, but you can clearly see his reflection in a mirror :rolleyes:).

I do watch full trailers of films based on stories I'm already familiar with, though. Novels, real-life events or remakes.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the trailer for Ender's Game, I've read the book so know what happens anyway....
    ...but it actually looks like you see him destroy the Formic homeworld!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they showed too much of a trailer for Argo.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly the concept of hinting at what is to come and teasing the audiences is a thing of the past.

Now the studios are so desperate to get people to pay money to see their movie they now just don't care and show major, crucial scenes, and often the best scenes of the movies.

Whereas it used to be about 'Check out our movie, you may like it', it's now more like 'You absolutely have to see this movie'.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I saw the trailer for Ender's Game, I've read the book so know what happens anyway....
    ...but it actually looks like you see him destroy the Formic homeworld!

Yeah I saw that too. Pointless watching the film now.

Having said that the trailer makes the film look crap anyway.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just trailers that give things away. I went to see Star Trek last night and was stood in line waiting to enter the screen when my brother pointed towards a poster for the film and said "Is that a spoiler?"

The poster showed a key event in the film that hadn't been in the trailers and basically revealed where the story was going.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    It's not just trailers that give things away. I went to see Star Trek last night and was stood in line waiting to enter the screen when my brother pointed towards a poster for the film and said "Is that a spoiler?"

The poster showed a key event in the film that hadn't been in the trailers and basically revealed where the story was going.

Which poster was it?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Serenity annoys me for that.
    In the TV series, and at the start of the film, River Tam is virtually an invalid, so showing her with weapons is a huge reveal.

DVD backgrounds also annoy me. For example, [Rec] has a final scene from the film running behind the DVD menus. I would like to get someone watch it without them knowing what kind of film it is - it starts as a documentary with a cute anchorwoman - but the DVD spoils it.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I watched After Earth recently and the trailer from that had shown stuff from the end of the film as well!

I've also avoided most of the Man Of Steel trailers as I don't want that film spoilt for me!
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    One of the worst trailers for giving away a film was for The Loved Ones (the Australian horror) - it showed practically everything that nearly happened in the film!! I just try to actively avoid trailers myself too.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Its so hard now to avoid trailers and they do spoil quite a lot of films.I know Man Of Steel showed a bit of the final fight scenes in its trailers as well but that Didnt spoil the film for me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I watched After Earth recently and the trailer from that had shown stuff from the end of the film as well!

I've also avoided most of the Man Of Steel trailers as I don't want that film spoilt for me!

After Earth showed all the best of the film in the trailers, probably because the film was so incredibly slow, dull and boring for most of the time.

It annoyed me, I bought into it from the trailer and by the end of the film realised I could have watched the trailer and saved myself 2 hours of meaningless pap and one of the most unsatisfying ends in movie history.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer for Rush basically played out the whole story from beginning to end in concise notes format. Basically I feel I've already seen the movie before its even been released!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the best bits of the film are in the trailer then that's a sign that the rest of the film isn't worth seeing.