Options

Who is your favourite ever companion?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Rose - dreadful mockney idiot.
    Martha - at least had a working brain even though she was infatuated with the Dr which ruined her potential.
    Donna Noble - older dreadful mockney idiot. You can add gurning to that too.
    Amy - ok on her own.
    Rory - sort of like watching cardboard soak through.
    River Song - the worst character in the 50 year history of the show.
    Clara - am dram brat hammier than a pig butty.

The companions are supposed to make you root for them. Most of the new ones I'd love to see captured and offed.

The best characters haven't been given more time. Donnas dad. Cardboard's dad. The Tardis.

Romana. Leela. Jamie. Liz Shaw. All layered characters.

Even Kamelion and Turlough, the worlds only OAP schoolboy were better than this shower
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Adam Mitchell or Kameleon for me
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TC Nibbles wrote: »
    I loved the companions from series 1-4, but my favourite has to be Rose. You really got to know her personality and background so it was much sadder when she left. That is what RTD was great at! Dramatic yet really emotional stories. It is great when you can relate to the companions as it feels like they are YOUR family when they have to leave.

I feel that Moffat is focusing too much on story arcs and less on developing the companions. Like with Amy, you never really got to see her family or background, so when she left, I didn't really feel sad.

It's the same with Clara, Moffat killed off her Mother in the first episode so we can never meet her again, and her Father has nothing to do with the show at all! I feel that when Clara has to leave, I will really struggle to feel emotional and sad.

It is also good when the Doctor and the companion have a bit of chemistry between them, like with Rose, Martha, and Donna.
    Seeing as Amy was engaged nothing was able to happen. It is much better that Clara hasn't got a boyfriend travelling with them, but still, it seems the Doctor is only taking her with him to find out who she is, so there isn't much chemistry there either IMO.

In the classic series, if a companion had any family members that we saw, they were almost invariably killed off in their first story (Victoria and Nyssa's fathers, Adric's brother, Tegan's aunt). Peri's uncle was the only exeption I can think of, and they didn't seem too close.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Romana II or Sarah Jane Smith for Classic

Clara or Amy for New Who
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I decided to exclude spin-off media companions when it came to choosing my favourites, but if I did include them then Lucie Miller and "Benny" Summerfield would certainly have been contenders for selection - Lucie was a tremendous companion in the audios and "Benny" was a fantastic companion in the novels.

I haven't read the novels but I love the Bernice audios and I loved Lucie Miller. Also, Charlie was a great companion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose. Loved, loved, loved her!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11/The Ponds/River Team TARDIS were top top top notch, together and individual in their different line ups! A terrific ride 2010 - 2012.

11 and Clara teaming up has presented a different vibe that i hope grows more and more in future stories too....series 7 has only hinted towards what the duo can be capable of i truly feel! but i do love the Oswin too for different reasons as to how i adored The Ponds.

I must say the team up of 9 and ROse was far better than 10 and Rose in my opinion...i never felt it was a natural feel to it.....10 and Donna i felt was something truly special too...similar vibes to how i feel with 11 and Clara in some ways too.

and of coruse who doesnt adored Sarah-Jane?

So yeah :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Martha Jones was great I agree, but it has to be Donna Noble for me in the 21st century, and Sarah Jane Smith in the classic series.
    I think I have to cite a separate companion for each era as they were used so differently in each era.
    :)

:D I agree these two were the best!!
    ~ RIP ~ Sarah Jane
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    In the classic series, if a companion had any family members that we saw, they were almost invariably killed off in their first story (Victoria and Nyssa's fathers, Adric's brother, Tegan's aunt). Peri's uncle was the only exeption I can think of, and they didn't seem too close.

Yes, many of the companion's family members were killed off in the classic series, but I am saying that when RTD revived the show in 2005, you always got to know the companions' families (up to Amy) and this worked much better in my opinion
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    New series - Donna. It was nice to have a companion who was just mates with The Doctor, without the would-be lovers/unrequited love sub-plots we got with Rose and Martha.

I didn't rate Amy or Rory much. Clara is okay though.

Classic series - Romana II or Sarah Jane. Can't decide between them.
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Growing up it was Sarah Jane and never liked Leela who replaced her.

At University me and my flatmates were the Tegan fan club!

But my favourite all time is from the new era the lovely Martha. I would love her to return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Easy. Sarah-Jane. She was the perfect companion; smart, beautiful, brave and kind. She is what every companion should be. Everyone loves her. Fav companion for ever!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <deleted>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donna Nobel.

Because she was never going to be the Doctor's side-kick. She was the Doctor's equal whether he liked it or not, so he'd better get used to it!

I loved seeing the Doctor getting used to it - then being used to it - and then delighting in it.

Which made it all the more heart breaking when they had to part.

I'd kill to see her back aboard the Tardis somehow. I *so* wish it had been Donna back in the 50th instead of whiney bloody Rose 'wont-stay-dead' Tyler!
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either Amy or Clara, though I've liked all of them, even Rose (my memories of her are tarnished by series 4 though...). Not a massive fan of Donna as a character but I enjoyed series 4 and Tennant with her so that boosts her really.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be Ace.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C20...Always enjoyed the 5th Doctor/Tegan/Turlough dynamic.

C21...Donna. Liked her by the end of 'Runaway Bride'; by the end of 'Partners in Crime' I was (and remained) besotted. (Particularly when you put Wilf into the equation)

Had to choose one? Yep, got to be Donna Noble. Still think Catherine Tate's performance in 'Turn Left' is the best performance by a companion in the history of the programme. (Although Karen Gillans' in 'The Girl Who Waited' comes darn close.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I'd say that my favourite companion has to be a tie with Rory and Donna. Both of them represented a real companion in my eyes. They weren't like Rose, or Amy, because they worried about the consequences of travelling in time and space. They weren't blinded by danger all the time, and they didn't do something the Doctor told them not to do *coughcough* Amy *coughcough* (Although I do realise Rory and Donna sometimes did the same).

These two were kind of like how a companion in real life would act and be like.

Edit:

Although in third place, I'd say Amy Bond or Martha Janey Jones
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that my favourite companion has to be a tie with Rory and Donna. Both of them represented a real companion in my eyes. They weren't like Rose, or Amy, because they worried about the consequences of travelling in time and space. They weren't blinded by danger all the time, and they didn't do something the Doctor told them not to do *coughcough* Amy *coughcough* (Although I do realise Rory and Donna sometimes did the same).

These two were kind of like how a companion in real life would act and be like.

Edit:

Although in third place, I'd say Amy Bond or Martha Janey Jones

Yeah, I have to agree about Rory and Donna from NuWho, you summed it up nicely. Though I quite disliked the ending Donna got and it ruined the character a bit for me with all the destiny/DoctorDonna thing in Journey's End, but as a character she was rather great as she was quite the (good) departure from the other girl companions. Rory was great, because even though he developed sort of a friendship with the Doctor in the end, he was never besotted with the Doctor as pretty much almost all the other NuWho characters (whether in a romnatic or not romantic way- like even Jack Harkness is romantically with him and even freaking Mickey Smith decided to leave because the Doctor will always choose Rose over Mickey or something like that) and right from the start in The Vampires of Venice was ready to challenge and question the Doctor when it was necessary.

Most of my favorite times of Who however include times when there are more people on board the TARDIS like the Doctor with the two Ponds and River popping in, the Fifth Doctor era (Nyssa, Tegan and even that little prick Adric) from what I've seen of it and even the end of series 1 with Rose and Jack, though not series 2 with Rose and Mickey, because I can't stand them in series 2 or 10's attitude towards Mickey (he could be quite an ass towards his companions sometimes, not only Mickey, but also Martha in series 3).

EDIT: Also, doesn't really count as a companion, but from the supporting characters Madame Vastra. There seem to be so few characters in Who to whom at least sometimes the Doctor seems condescending, so I absolutely adore Madame Vastra, who seems to stand on equal ground with the Doctor and he seems to have this certain kind of respect for her.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane Smith
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Donna--from the new series

Sarah--from the Classic series

If I had to choose between them, to determine my favorite ever, I guess I'd have to go with Donna by a hair.
  • Options
    Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose. Love her.

From the old series though it has to be Nyssa. So far. I'm still plodding through the classics and have only seen all of 5th, and a few of 1st so lots more people to meet. Hate Tegan though. Which is a shame cos I LOVE Peter D and she's in nearly all his episodes :-(